When did Rural America First Experience Aviation

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
I want to find documentation of the earliest aviation event in Russellville, AR. That will take hours of going through microfilm of early issues of the local paper. What is the earliest date I should consider starting with? I have a photo of a Jenny at Russellville in Sept. 1918 (date on the photo). I found an artcle in the paper about that visit but it was several pages back without a headline suggesting that it wasn't that special. I have a non-event in 1911 when the county fair organizers turned down a plane visit because they couldn't guarantee the required $800.

I would start looking around 1912, by 1914 there were already likely military displays going around the country.

I would start looking around 1912, by 1914 there were already likely military displays going around the country.
Considering the Aviation Section of the US Signal Corps wasn't created until July 1914, and had all of 7 aircraft (up to 23 by the end of 1914), I doubt there were military displays going around the country. Bigger cities may have had military, perhaps, but probably not areas that might be described as "rural".

Never can tell, though, depends on what's going on. Here's a picture of homebuilt biplane that flew in Grand Forks, ND in 1911. Obviously Curtiss-based....

mcgoey.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

Considering the Aviation Section of the US Signal Corps wasn't created until July 1914, and had all of 7 aircraft (up to 23 by the end of 1914), I doubt there were military displays going around the country. Bigger cities may have had military, perhaps, but probably not areas that might be described as "rural".

Never can tell, though, depends on what's going on. Here's a picture of homebuilt biplane that flew in Grand Forks, ND in 1911. Obviously Curtiss-based....

mcgoey.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

That's why I figured 1914, first thing military does with new things is introduces them to the public so they can sell bonds. Gotta remember, this was before the military industrial complex owned the economy, they had to sell things to the public.

Last edited:
That's why I figured 1914, first thing military does with new things is introduces them to the public so they can sell bonds. Gotta remember, this was before the military industrial complex owned the economy, they had to sell things to the public.

Well... don't buy it. This was a highly pacifistic period; doubt anyone was trying to sell bonds, and even if they did, they probably kept mention of the military far, far from the process.

Benjamin Foulois' autobiography talks about what it was like to be in the Regular Army back then. They had a VERY bad reputation with civilians. There was a joke in the era about a pretty girl asking a soldier if he was one of the brave boys defending freedom, and his answer is, "No, ma'am, I'm a regular...."

One of the top songs of the period was "I Didn't Raise My Boy to be a Soldier."

I didn't raise my son to be a soldier
I raised him up to be my pride and joy
Why should he put a musket to his shoulder
To kill another mother's darling boy

Three years later, after the declaration of war, things were far different.....

It’s time for every boy to be a soldier
To put his strength and courage to the test
It's time to place a musket on his shoulder
And wrap the Stars and Stripes around his brea
st...

But the Army certainly wasn't trying to sell bonds (or sheet music) in 1914. The Navy was popular (thank Teddy Roosevelt), the Militia was popular (ditto), but the Regular Army was barely tolerated. No way would they have been using the Army to drum up donations.

Ron Wanttaja

Well... don't buy it. This was a highly pacifistic period; doubt anyone was trying to sell bonds, and even if they did, they probably kept mention of the military far, far from the process.

Benjamin Foulois' autobiography talks about what it was like to be in the Regular Army back then. They had a VERY bad reputation with civilians. There was a joke in the era about a pretty girl asking a soldier if he was one of the brave boys defending freedom, and his answer is, "No, ma'am, I'm a regular...."

One of the top songs of the period was "I Didn't Raise My Boy to be a Soldier."

I didn't raise my son to be a soldier
I raised him up to be my pride and joy
Why should he put a musket to his shoulder
To kill another mother's darling boy

Three years later, after the declaration of war, things were far different.....

It’s time for every boy to be a soldier
To put his strength and courage to the test
It's time to place a musket on his shoulder
And wrap the Stars and Stripes around his brea
st...

But the Army certainly wasn't trying to sell bonds (or sheet music) in 1914. The Navy was popular (thank Teddy Roosevelt), the Militia was popular (ditto), but the Regular Army was barely tolerated. No way would they have been using the Army to drum up donations.

Ron Wanttaja

1914 the European Nobility/Central banking families had just re-established full control over America and were keen on getting America back into their war for profit machine. There was a reasons the founders wanted no large standing army or involvement with foreign treaties. We have been at war for their profit straight through since the Federal Reserve Act.

When Absolute Monarchy went to Constitutional Monarchy in Europe the wealthy nobility did not lose their wealth, they turned it into our current commercial financial structure, and the Military Industrial Complex is one of the children.

You have to put on a show to counter the sentiments in the song above, you have to amaze the kids with toys so they come when their mama's say stay. We have military air displays for the same reason today.

1914 the European Nobility/Central banking families had just re-established full control over America and were keen on getting America back into their war for profit machine. There was a reasons the founders wanted no large standing army or involvement with foreign treaties. We have been at war for their profit straight through since the Federal Reserve Act.

When Absolute Monarchy went to Constitutional Monarchy in Europe the wealthy nobility did not lose their wealth, they turned it into our current commercial financial structure, and the Military Industrial Complex is one of the children.

You have to put on a show to counter the sentiments in the song above, you have to amaze the kids with toys so they come when their mama's say stay. We have military air displays for the same reason today.

Yeah, because the Civil War was a real profit maker. :rolleyes2:

Yeah, because the Civil War was a real profit maker. :rolleyes2:

The Civil War is what got them back into the U.S. economic system, that's what it was about, access to the European banking capital to grow post industrial revolution society faster than the capital growth of our agrarian based economy would allow. You see, the Constitution forbids fiat currency, and that is what all the Central Bank currencies are. After the Civil War, J.S. Morgan, Rothschild's man in the states, started bankrolling American industry with the leveraged wealth European nobility.

The Civil War was no more about slavery than WWII was about the Holocaust. Both however have been used as the diversion from the true reasons for the wars, access to resources and money, and who controls what it does. The whole Cold War was just about protecting a corrupt financial system that we fought a revolution to escape, the same one the Bolshevicks revolted against. The founders would have backed the Soviets, they were the proto communists, inspiration for Marx.

Last edited:
Thanks for the laugh. I needed that after the morning I've had.

Back