When are the Class-E-to-surface areas near KSGH in effect?

quietflyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
quietflyer
Hi all. Here's a question for someone who knows the ins and outs of the airspace--

When are the Class-E-to-surface extensions (enclosed by dashed magenta lines) near this airport in effect, and when do they revert to class G up to 700 feet AGL?

Airport in question: Springfield-Beckley in Ohio (KSGH).
http://vfrmap.com/?type=vfrc&lat=39.840&lon=-83.840&zoom=10
http://vfrmap.com/?type=vfrc&lat=39.840&lon=-83.840&zoom=11

Note that this airport is a very unusual case, because there are Class-E-to-surface extensions near the airport but no Class D or Class-E-to-surface airspace actually surrounding the airport. That's because they closed the tower a few years ago and took away the class D airspace around the airport.

Note also that the sectional chart says "See Notams/Supplement for Class E (sfc) effective hours". I'm having trouble finding this information.

If there is no associated NOTAM, are the Class-E-to-surface extensions active, or have they reverted to Class G airspace (up to 700 feet AGL)?

For example, will the Class-E-to-surface extensions be in effect at noon local time Saturday October 8 2018?

How exactly did you find out?

Does it operate on a set schedule or does weather have anything to do with it?

(Examples of reasons why I might want to know this: maybe low fog is predicted and I'd like to skim low over the fogbank, below 700' AGL of course, to take pictures of the "glory" on top of the cloud bank, within the boundaries of the dashed magenta line. Or maybe I'd like to fly an ultralight over boundaries of the dashed magenta line-- this is not allowed, at least in the case where the dashed magenta line encloses an airport and thus is considered "designated for an airport" rather than "designated as an extension"-- not quite what we have here so that's actually not a good example. Or maybe I'd like to fly a radio-controlled model airplane within the boundaries of the dashed magenta line-- in the near future, if proposed legislation passes, it will not be possible to fly a rc model airplane ANYWHERE but in uncontrolled (Class G) airspace, without a special arrangement.)

Thanks very much for any insights on this.

Last edited:
Thank you. So to complete my understanding-- are those class-E-to-surface extensions currently and permanently NOT active, and therefore have reverted to class G airspace from the surface up to 700' AGL?

"...does weather have anything to do with it?"

Strictly by the clock...weather has nothing to do with it.

Bob

First, the airport manager there is an idiot and things are goofy there.

You might notice the CTAF is the old tower frquency 120.7 listed as a Multicom on approach charts. This cause a ton of confusion and business jets typically arrive at an airport with intersecting runways announcing on Unicom 122.95.

When there was a tower, the Class D was part time M-F 8a-4p with the airspace reverting the E other times. The current AF/D does not list part time hours for the Class E including extensions at KSGH. The class E is operational 24/7.

When there was a tower, the Class D was part time M-F 8a-4p with the airspace reverting the E other times. The current AF/D does not list part time hours for the Class E including extensions at KSGH. The class E is operational 24/7.

I take it then that there is no NOTAM saying otherwise.

Thank you. So to complete my understanding-- are those class-E-to-surface extensions currently and permanently NOT active, and therefore have reverted to class G airspace from the surface up to 700' AGL?

I would look at it as if they are active class E until November 8th when they will cease to exist and revert back to class G to 700’. However I seriously doubt that anyone will be monitoring them to try to catch an airspace violation in the meantime. You can always call Columbus approach and see what they have to say about it. If I was planning on flying in an area that I had questions about I would definitely prefer an answer from the controlling authority instead of some guy on the internet.

First, the airport manager there is an idiot and things are goofy there.

You might notice the CTAF is the old tower frquency 120.7 listed as a Multicom on approach charts. This cause a ton of confusion and business jets typically arrive at an airport with intersecting runways announcing on Unicom 122.95.

Seems like the corporate pilots are goofy for not reading the VFR Chart supplement or the chart to find the correct CTAF frequency, and the bozo on Unicom does not advise them.

Back