Whelen A650s now, install LED 600s?

Unit74

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Unit74
So the LED drop in replacement 650 set does not have rear position lights, only strobe. The LED 600s have solid white to the rear, which I'd like.

Considering I have pleaty of wing tip real estate and the 600s are slightly longer, any reason why I could not use 600s instead of the "exact footprint" 650 model?

At least in my Comanche, the "normal" new configuration from Whelen is AE650's in the wingtips and OR500's on the tail for solid white rear. The strobes on the wingtips let's you do away (if you want) with the top and bottom beacons. If you went without strobes, you would need to retain those.
A little from Whelen....
http://www.whelen.com/pb/Aviation/System Requirements/Piper.pdf

I don't have a beacon and do have tip strobes. I fly slow so chances are I'm gonna get run over by a Cherokee 140 from the rear. Hence, two wing tip lights to,the rear.

But really, more lit up just sounds safer to me. Not sure why they chose not to put white to the rear on them.

At least in my Comanche, the "normal" new configuration from Whelen is AE650's in the wingtips and OR500's on the tail for solid white rear. The strobes on the wingtips let's you do away (if you want) with the top and bottom beacons. If you went without strobes, you would need to retain those.
A little from Whelen....
http://www.whelen.com/pb/Aviation/System Requirements/Piper.pdf
I tried doing away with my beacon. The A&P said it was impossible because there was no cover plate that existed. I got home and after 2 minutes on knots2u I found a PMA fairing sans beacon hole... one of the many reasons I'll never use that shop again.

I tried doing away with my beacon. The A&P said it was impossible because there was no cover plate that existed. I got home and after 2 minutes on knots2u I found a PMA fairing sans beacon hole... one of the many reasons I'll never use that shop again.

They don't know what they don't know. If he's a good AP, buy the parts and bring them to him. My guy had never heard of K2U before I brought him their whole speed mod kit. I'm sure if another customer ask about speed mods, he'd go,look on K2U.

Back