Wheels up time

ErikU

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ErikU
I have heard the phrases "wheels up time" and "flow-control" used before, but haven't paid too much attention since I assumed they wouldn't apply to me.

While calling for my clearance today I was told there was flow-control in effect at my destination and asked what my wheels up time would be. A few minutes later I was told that my wheels up time was approved.

What exactly does all of this mean to me, other than to expect the possibility of a delay?

It's used to control the volume of IFR traffic and controller workload on given routes and terminals.

I figured that,.. but what does it mean to me other han expect a possible delay and hold?

I figured that,.. but what does it mean to me other han expect a possible delay and hold?
That's it. They may establish a release time for you for departure or may have you hold en route. No big deal.

"Wheels up" generally refers to getting the wheels off the ground. In a retractable gear plane the term makes a bit more sense since you get off the ground and pull the gear up (as opposed to a fixed gear plane where the gear is always down and welded).

The phrase I normally get asked around here is when I'm ready to take off, which is why when I call from the ground for my clearance I tend to call with the engine running and with me as close to ready for takeoff as possible. Thus, the answer becomes "Now." That may prove harder at busier uncontrolled fields.

You pretty much have it figured out... they may give you a clearance to depart, but not for another 10 minutes, and they will likely give you a "Void if not off by..." time (this applies to an uncontrolled field where you're calling center or clearance delivery to get your clearance). They just need to make sure you have enough room to get off and get picked up by radar before anyone else is in the area. No big deal.

"Wheels Up time" refers to an EDCT (expected departure clearance time) that is assigned by the Center during a ground delay program (GDP), Flow Control Area (FCA), or other delay technique. It is essentially your assigned IFR departure slot if you will, and ATC must have you in the air within 5 minutes of your assigned EDCT or else you have to get a new one.

I believe EDCT's are also possible during SWAP (severe weather avoidance plan). Most controlled airports will advertise "SWAP in effect, contact ground control 5 minutes prior to engine start for possible re-route or delays" on the ATIS.

Wheels up just refers to what time you will be able to get airborne. Be sure to listen carefully to your window of time given by ATC. Normally this will be 5 minutes due to flow or weather. However, out on the west coast we often get a 2 minute window when going to SFO, LAX and LAS.

Where were you going from and to for that flight?

Keep in mind that the wheels up time is not set in stone. We will often get an updated wheels up depending what is going on at the other end of the flight. We have sat for over two hours with multiple updated wheels up times trying to go to LAS. Just be polite to ATC, being a jerk will get you bigger delays. Remember, ATC could care less about how much fuel you are burning while you are parked idling.

What I normally do is stay on the ramp at the FBO until 10 minutes prior to wheels up time. Then call ATC to see if the time is still valid. If it is then tell them you are going to start-up and will call for taxi in a couple of minutes. Then taxi out and go. I have found this to work out pretty good.

Jason, thanks for the good info.

I was departing PSC for BFI in a Bonanza. It turned out to be nice VMC all the way too! (though I think it may had just burned off at the destination)

Back