What's Your Plan? Building a GA Survival Pack

Thanks! Good article. One point, I've used "ring saws" or tried, and maybe they have improved them since then but my experience has been they fall apart with just a little use and are not easy to use. I'd pack either a small axe or a large knife could work, but can be dangerous for finer work if needed so for me I'd go with an axe and medium sized knife.

I also have a very small but good medical book, that along with first aid kit I would pack.

Also a warm jacket, even in summer. Not in the pack. Some people have a smaller "minimum" survival pack that is reachable from the pilots seat, in case your normal survival pack is stowed in the baggage area, some forced landings might be on water, or if fire involved you might not reach your main survival bag, but at least would have the minimum, better than nothing.

Space blankets for sure, as you said. I'd also have a decent small packed poncho, they help with rain but also I have used them as lean to's. A cool little trick is to use small rocks, wrap the stone with the poncho material and can use cord around the top (bundling it) to be able to tie off to stakes in the ground.

Totally agree about simple items, not depending on batteries, etc.
Just random thoughts, I'm no expert.

Last edited:
IMG_2922.JPG We've got a little "Adventure Medical Kit" survival pack at work. I use the medical kit (minus survival) for my plane. Figure my odds of needing medical attention would be more than needing fishing line.

All this crap we had stuffed into our vests in the military, when all you really need is a survival radio (CSEL) and a Snickers Bar. :D

What do expect to survive? A summer night in Ohio is different than a winter night in Alaska. Most guys think a survival event will be like camping. Healthy, well fed, sitting around a fire... Fat chance. Odds are you'll be hurt, wet, cold, and generally not operating at peak efficiency. The first thing all pilots should do is to dress for weather like you'll have to walk home. Clothes and boots to suit the season. What do you need? First aid, water, and shelter. And the smarts to use them. Those mylar survival blankets are a joke. So is the cute little saw. Carry a couple of quarts of water and have a purifier to make more. Lightweight sil tarps and parachute cord allow you to make a shelter from rain and wind. Bivy bags of the same material will keep you warm. My favorite survival food items are Nature Valley granola bars and cans of Spam. Dense calories that you can eat in any temperature and they last about forever in your pack. A hatchet beats a saw every time. Break limbs, chop kindling, beat airplane parts into shape, etc. Wet fire cubes and a Blast Match will start a fire in a puddle during a rainstorm. Great stuff. A leatherman on your belt is always handy. A sat phone and or Inreach provide not only a rescue beacon but allow you to communicate your situation. If you're healthy and provisioned there's no reason for a helicopter crew and other SAR assets to risk their lives in bad weather when your life isn't in danger. In my area the biggest threat is hypothermia. Don't work yourself so hard that you get behind the energy curve, get dehydrated, and can't recover.

But, in my life I've been forced to set down for a couple of days to wait out weather. I was wet and physically spent and had to spend a night in what would eventually become a 7* night. I was not dressed for it. Cotton kills on a wet cold night.I had my survival gear and it was woefully inadequate. My airplane "survival" gear changed after that. I added a Wiggy's sleeping bag, Hilleberg Bivanorak, white gas stove... those are the things that allow me to climb out of wet clothes and recover my energy so that I can deal with tomorrow. For you guys who think your airplane cabin will make a cozy camp spot? Think again. Inside a plane on a cold night is an aluminum chiller box that'll suck the heat out of you. Nothing could be worse. A 6# tent or a sil tarp is way more comfortable. And again, the key item? Communication. Tell your family where you are and that you're okay. That's my #1 priority.

I think it's Ron Levy who, on the various pilots' sites over the years, has said (something like): "if it's not worn on your person then it's not an emergency kit...it's camping gear..."

I've run into him a couple of times over the years and he was wearing a "survival vest". It looked pretty geeky but I guess if you want to be prepared...

Nate,

Good article. I still need to get around to your book.

Tim

There is one thing that I think is a good idea too. As I mentioned, I've tried to use those ring saws, and they fall apart pretty easily, are not easy to use (when you don't have room to do the motion) and only do ONE thing, badly. A small axe can chop, hammer, be used as a weapon, etc.

But the main point about survival packs are, one should actually USE the items you have in it (obviously, not that you cut yourself to test the med kit, etc.) in a non survival situation to see how thy hold up, how easy to use, etc.

You don't want to find out something you are depending on is poorly made, doesn't work, or has a problem, or that you aren't quite sure how to use it, when you really need it.

Go camping, use all the items, fire starters, water purification, blankets, etc. and test them yourself.

Basically it's "camping equipment". Raincoat, dry socks, if room warm boots, fire starter, food, water, first aid, handheld radio, etc....

Back