What's wrong with this plane?

http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_695409_+beautiful+1992+glasair+II+td.html

They are asking many many thousands less then other equally equipped aircraft. I ask why, so I can better learn what to look for.

The first problem I see is that it's priced to sell AND it's on barnstormers. This seller is obviously clueless as to how Barnstormers works. You overprice your plane, turn down reasonable offer after reasonable offer, keep paying $15.00/mo for the ad to run, pay storage fees, let the engine sit and rust, pay for an annual and pay for insurance for for a year or more. Then, curse all the tire kickers and lowballers who don't appreciate how clean you've kept the windshield for the past decade and give up on selling it, let the annual and insurance lapse, weld it to the ramp and let it sit for your heirs to deal with.

If you think it's a good deal and something you would buy, go look at it now, it won't be there long. If you're just window shopping, bookmark the page, check back daily and see how long it takes to go away. If it's a good deal, It'll be gone a week from now.

The problem with that plane is in plain sight; the seller wrote "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]only reason for selling plane it's to fast for me." [/FONT]

Yea, that struck me as odd.. the stall speed is 70, so if you don't want to do 200, don't.

The nose wheel got put on in the wrong place. ;)

That observation isn't entirely humorous. I thought I had noticed a slight discount trend in Van's RV models where the tail wheel versions always seemed to have asking prices less than their nose wheel brethren.

Its a 1 and a taildragger. Doesnt have the additional side windows. Old panel. Paint job looks fair. Red interior looks fair. Decent price I guess but that's the norm these days. I had my 1 FT for sale a year ago for 45 grand which was comparable to this aircraft.

I just saw he has it posted as a II???

Yeah it's just an early II without windows or tail extension. The N number isn't showing up in the FAA database.

Yes it is, click continue.. CERT TERMINATED. Looks like the Bill of Sale when through before the current owner got it registered or something. No worries if he has the pink slip.

So are we back to why this airplane is so inexpensive, or does that price look right to you?

The first problem I see is that it's priced to sell AND it's on barnstormers. This seller is obviously clueless as to how Barnstormers works. You overprice your plane, turn down reasonable offer after reasonable offer, keep paying $15.00/mo for the ad to run, pay storage fees, let the engine sit and rust, pay for an annual and pay for insurance for for a year or more. Then, curse all the tire kickers and lowballers who don't appreciate how clean you've kept the windshield for the past decade and give up on selling it, let the annual and insurance lapse, weld it to the ramp and let it sit for your heirs to deal with.

If you think it's a good deal and something you would buy, go look at it now, it won't be there long. If you're just window shopping, bookmark the page, check back daily and see how long it takes to go away. If it's a good deal, It'll be gone a week from now.

Post of the year on selling your plane. ( or selling anything for that matter)

So are we back to why this airplane is so inexpensive, or does that price look right to you?

Well, if he just bought it and is selling it right away, considering the story, he scared the crap out of himself in it and wants to unload it quick so he can get something that is more docile. It's what we call a 'Walter Mitty come to Jesus moment'.:rofl: You see it in racing when people buy themselves into a class they are not ready for.

Last edited:
YGBSM.
Yes it is, click continue.. CERT TERMINATED. Looks like the Bill of Sale when through before the current owner got it registered or something. No worries if he has the pink slip.

Nothing a phone call won't sort out. The last 2 planes I've purchased have had the "Click To Continue" FAA warning on the N-Number look up site. I think It took me 4 months to get my "Registration" correct. Aparrently I forgot to print my name by where I signed it, this got rejected. I had to try again. My Pink slip ran out, Just a call and they fax a new temp registration. As it appears he's only owned the plane 2.5 weeks, It's nothing I'd worry about until I found something to worry about. Certainly wouldn't stop me from picking up the phone and calling about the plane if I were interested. The FAA doesn't seem to anal about keeping that database in tip top shape. A lien search would be a good idea too.

I see what you're getting at, that a Pink Slip can be picked up from the FSDO and filled out without ever mailing the white copy in. That wasn't the message i was tryin' to relay. I meant that because the FAA database says CERT TERMINATED doesn't mean the plane isn't airworthy, it can be airworthy on a pink slip and/or a temporary faxed registration even though the database says "CERT TERMINATED"

Last edited:
Actually I was thinking "title company" which is the same as for all airplane transactions. But I'm one of the guys who gets the "ohshlt" calls when the deals go sideways, so am probably a bit more gun-shy about bad paperwork than others.

I'm sure that's what Wayne was probably thinking.

Yes for several reasons.

they are very squirrley and scared the hell out of the new buyer.

the market is on its ass.

the aircraft is an older build.

no Glass dash.

Yes for several reasons.

no Glass dash.

And the market for used older Glasairs just seems to be softer right now than other experimentals. I think he's got it priced a few K too high. IMHO this plane is probably worth more likely in the 38-40K range for today's market.

That observation isn't entirely humorous. I thought I had noticed a slight discount trend in Van's RV models where the tail wheel versions always seemed to have asking prices less than their nose wheel brethren.

If you look at the general pilot population that is capable of buying an RV-x, the number of people that are qualified to fly one with a nosewheel exceeds the population that are qualified to fly one with a tailwheel.

Not much of a surprise, really.

Eventually, we'll see that trend with aircraft that have or don't have glass panels, too.

If you look at the general pilot population that is capable of buying an RV-x, the number of people that are qualified to fly one with a nosewheel exceeds the population that are qualified to fly one with a tailwheel.

Not much of a surprise, really.

Eventually, we'll see that trend with aircraft that have or don't have glass panels, too.

Except that the RV-xA series has as bad of n accident record as conventional gear ones....

Yea, that struck me as odd.. the stall speed is 70, so if you don't want to do 200, don't.

It's not just stall speed. It's approach angle, visibility over the nose, etc.

Looking at the pictures in the ad, the subject plane has a pretty nose-high attitude on the ground, the cowl is long and the wing looks like it's set pretty far forward. I don't know what the sight picture would be on final and landing, but it doesn't look like a pussycat to me...

It's entirely possible that the guy who bought it just wants out. But the ad says some number of people have successfully flown it 940 hr. So who knows?

My 2 rupees.

Yes for several reasons.

no Glass dash.

All the above. :)

Except that the RV-xA series has as bad of n accident record as conventional gear ones....

Oh, I wasn't trying to establish one type of RV-x as being better than another. Just pointing out that the general pilot population is more suited towards nosewheels than tailwheels.

If the nosewheel guys and gals crunch RVs as much as the tailwheel guys and gals, that's probably more a reflection of training rather than a strength or weakness of the various RV models.

My 2 Renminbi...

Oh, I wasn't trying to establish one type of RV-x as being better than another. Just pointing out that the general pilot population is more suited towards nosewheels than tailwheels.

If the nosewheel guys and gals crunch RVs as much as the tailwheel guys and gals, that's probably more a reflection of training rather than a strength or weakness of the various RV models.

My 2 Renminbi...

I'm just pointing out most aren't qualified for either...:rofl: Actually there was a major weakness with the nose gear strut that it would flex far enough that the caster would dig and flip it on its back.

Burt, are you by chance sitting in the terminal staring at the currency exchange booth?

Hey Folks,

I bought this plane and could not be happier. 6.5 Hr. flight time for 1300 miles from New York to Iowa and it didn't use a drop of oil. Flys like a dream. Slow flight handling is just as smooth and responsive as normal flight. The only reason I think Dan had it priced like he did is that is what he had in it and he is just a decent sort of guy that wanted to be fair and see it go to a good home.
Its got one now and it won't be for sale any time soon. I have to get old and be forced to go light sport before that will happen.
Happy hunting,
Larryc

Cool deal Larry, put some pics in a thread. I always liked the Glasair planes.

Back