What's wrong with this picture?

Jeff Oslick

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff Oslick
http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2006/060125superbowl.html

060124superbowl.jpg

6/0737 PART 1 OF 3 FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS FORD FIELD, DETROIT, MI. PURSUANT TO TITLE 14 CFR SECTION 99.7, SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS, ALL AIRCRAFT FLIGHT OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED DUE TO THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE SUPER BOWL. WITHIN A 30 NMR OF 422025N/0830243W OR THE YQG305011.1 UP TO BUT NOT INCLUDING FL180. EFFECTIVE 0602052100 UTC (1600 LOCAL 02/05/06) UNTIL 0602060459 UTC (2359 LOCAL 02/05/06) WITHIN A 10 NMR OF 422025N/0830243W OR THE YQG305011.1 UP TP BUT NOT INCLUDING FL180. EFFECTIVE 0602052100 UTC (1600 LOCAL 02/05/06) UNTIL 0602060459 UTC (2359 LOCAL 02/05/06) EXCEPT AS SPECIFIED BELOW EXCLUDING CANADIAN AIRSPACE: A. ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS WITHIN A 10 NMR AREA LISTED ABOVE ARE PROHIBITED EXCEPT FOR: 1. APPROVED LAW ENFORCEMENT, MILITARY AIRCRAFT, EMERGENCY MEDICAL FLIGHTS IN DIRECT CONTACT WITH ATC AND ARE SQUAWKING AN ASSIGN DISCRETE BEACON CODE. 2. COMMERCIAL PASSENGER AND ALL-CARGO CARRIERS OPERATING UNDER ONE OF THE FOLLOWING TSA-APPROVED STANDARD SECURITY PROGRAMS/ PROCEDURES: AIRCRAFT OPERATOR STANDARD SECURITY PROGRAM (AOSSP), DOMESTIC SECURITY INTEGRATION PROGRAM (DSIP), TWELVE FIVE STANDARD SECURITY PROGRAM (TFSSP), PRIVATE CHARTER STANDARD SECURITY PROGRAM (PCSSP), OR ALL-CARGO INTERNATIONAL SECURITY PROCEDURE (ACISP) AND END PART 1 OF 3 WIE UNTIL UFN
PART 2 OF 3 FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS FORD FIELD, DETROIT, MI. ARE ARRIVING INTO AND/OR DEPARTING FROM 49 CFR PART 1542. 3. EXCEPT AS AUTHORIZED IN PART C. B. WITHIN THE AIRSPACE BETWEEN 10 NMR AND 30 NMR LISTED ABOVE: 1. ALL AIRCRAFT ENTERING OR EXITING THE 30 NM RADIUS TFR MUST BE ON AN ACTIVE IFR OR VFR FLIGHT PLAN WITH A DISCRETE CODE ASSIGNED BY AN AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL (ATC) FACILITY. AIRCRAFT MUST BE SQUAWKING THE DISCRETE CODE PRIOR TO DEPARTURE AND AT ALL TIMES WHILE IN THE TFR. 2. ALL AIRCRAFT ENTERING OR EXITING THE 30 NM RADIUS TFR MUST REMAIN IN TWO-WAY RADIO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ATC. 3. ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATING WITHIN THE 10 TO 30 NM RADIUS TFR AND OPERATING AT ALTITUDES OF UP TO BUT NOT INCLUDING FL180 ARE LIMITED TO AIRCRAFT ARRIVING OR DEPARTING LOCAL AIRFIELDS AND ATC MAY AUTHORIZE TRANSIT OPERATIONS. AIRCRAFT MAY NOT LOITER. 4. FLIGHT TRAINING, PRACTICE INSTRUMENT APPROACHES, AEROBATIC FLIGHT, GLIDER OPERATIONS, PARACHUTE OPERATIONS, ULTRALIGHT, HANG GLIDING, BALLOON OPERATIONS, AGRICULTURE/CROP DUSTING, ANIMAL POPULATION CONTROL FLIGHT OPERATIONS, AND BANNER TOWING OPERATIONS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED. C. DETROIT METROPOLITAN (DTW) ARRIVALS/DEPARTURES ARE AUTHORIZED END PART 2 OF 3 WIE UNTIL UFN
PART 3 OF 3 FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS FORD FIELD, DETROIT, MI. UNDER THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS: 1) BE ON AN ACTIVE IFR FLIGHT PLAN WITH A DISCRETE CODE ASSIGNED BY ATC. 2) REMAIN IN TWO-WAY RADIO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ATC. D. AIRCRAFT OPERATORS WHO HAVE PREVIOUSLY RECEIVED WAIVERS UNDER NOTAM 3/1862 MUST REAPPLY. ALL WAIVER APPLICATIONS ARE SUBJECT TO THE PROVISIONS IDENTIFIED IN SECTION 521 OF PUBLIC LAW 108-199. APPLICATIONS CAN BE OBTAINED FROM THE FAA WEBSITE AT HTTP://WAIVER.TFR.FAA.GOV E. FAA RECOMMENDS THAT ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATORS CHECK NOTAMS FREQUENTLY FOR POSSIBLE CHANGES TO THIS TFR PRIOR TO OPERATIONS WITHIN THIS REGION. SYSTEM OPERATIONS SUPPORT CENTER, PHONE 202-267-8276 IS THE POINT OF CONTACT. THE FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION /FAA/ SOSC, PHONE 202-267-3333, IS THE COORDINATION FACILITY. END PART 3 OF 3 WIE UNTIL UFN

Nothing better to illustrate the utter uselessness of the large gathering TFRs.

Perhaps we'll be kept completely safe, because:

(1) No terrorist would dare break the TFR; and
(2) No terrorist would ever, EVER use Canada as a conduit to the USA.

That is how it works, right?

US registered planes cannot get very close, but have a C-regeristerd plane coming in from the east and no problem.

Duh! Shows how stupid these security NOTAMs are.

SCCutler said:

Absolutely. In addition since large airliners are about the only thing that could be used to cause significant damage/loss of life, they are allowed to operate as usual because there's simply no way a terrorist could get on board one.

But the most important aspect of the TFR is that no terrorists will be able to do any last minute flight training in the pattern at PTK nor will they be able to fly any gliders or tow any banners in furtherance of their cause(s). I feel so safe now!

So... did any of you check with the Canadian authorities to verify that they are not putting a similar restriction in place? The FAA has no right to restrict the airspace of our neighbors nor do they publish anything about Canadian restrictions, all the FSS breifings around here state that international data may be inaccure or incompleate and you must check with the Canadians before entering their airspace.

This is after all a international event with parties going on across the boarder and many people staying in Winsor hotels. Winsor is making security precautions just like downtown Detroit (can you belive they removed all the mail boxes in the Ford Feild area). All the news channels are reporting that they are putting the boarder guards on overtime because of all the expected traffic across the boarder durring the game.

Just because the FAA isn't publishing something doesn't mean it's not there. Not that I checked, but if your going to ***** you should have checked first.

Missa

Last edited:
lancefisher said:
Absolutely. In addition since large airliners are about the only thing that could be used to cause significant damage/loss of life, they are allowed to operate as usual because there's simply no way a terrorist could get on board one.

While it may be true that only a large aircraft could cause significant damage, if it's terror and a disruption of American society the enemy has in mind, a C150 could be almost as harmful as B747. But with that huge avenue of approach available, the rest of the TFR is pretty much useless.

Missa said:
So... did any of you check with the Canadian authorities to verify that they are not putting a similar restriction in place? The FAA has no right to restrict the airspace of our neighbors nor do they publish anything about Canadian restrictions, all the FSS breifings around here state that international data may be inaccure or incompleate and you must check with the Canadians before entering their airspace.

According to the AOPA article, the Candians aren't playing the TFR game.

Jeff Oslick said:
According to the AOPA article, the Candians aren't playing the TFR game.

So that means you didn't check with the Canadians to see if there was any security measures they were taking. You're just basing your bitching on what some American reporter wrote in a magazine. Also, from what I understand it's a lot harder to get a PPL in Canada and there are different rules for flying in Canada. So, how much do you know about flying in Canada?

Missa

Last edited:
Missa ....

I'm not sure why you are quite so vehement about this.

I really don't think that AOPA would have written their article without checking with Canadian authorities. They're generally pretty careful.

SCCutler said:

Now, Spike, these TFRs and ADIZ areas MUST be working. After all, we've had NO terrorist attacks in this country since they began. Therefore and ergo, they must work. Right? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

Well, I've searched all over Nav Canadas' site, can't find anything.

Maybe they're just a little slower at posting a NOTAM, or maybe they're just a little smarter than the FAA and realize that an imaginary 'line' in the air isn't going to stop someone hell bent on crashing an airplane into something from doing just that. I mean, there were regs in place that stated you're not supposed to fly an aircraft over populated areas unless you have specific altitude above the congested area. I see THAT kept them airplanes from divebombing onto a couple of buildings.

And Missa, not trying to be mean, but rules never stopped anyone from doing what they want. Just take a look at any jail in world.

Dee

DeeG said:
Well, I've searched all over Nav Canadas' site, can't find anything.

Maybe they're just a little slower at posting a NOTAM, or maybe they're just a little smarter than the FAA and realize that an imaginary 'line' in the air isn't going to stop someone hell bent on crashing an airplane into something from doing just that. I mean, there were regs in place that stated you're not supposed to fly an aircraft over populated areas unless you have specific altitude above the congested area. I see THAT kept them airplanes from divebombing onto a couple of buildings.

Aside from that, I'm pretty sure there is a law that says you can't smash a plane into a building too. Didn't work.

I hope that Canada doesn't implement any kind of "TFR" or whatever for the event, so that it will kind of show how ludicrous TFRs like that are.

MSmith said:
Missa ....

I'm not sure why you are quite so vehement about this.

I'm only being vehement about people who start a bitchfest without all the relevant information I look at that graphic and I wonder, so is Canada doing anything since the FAA can't control another countries airspace? It's like being PIC and taking off with out all the relevant information. Other people just joined the Frey and no one until DeeG actually checked to see if Canada was doing anything.

I personally agree that the TFR, with or with out the large chunk out of it is stupid. I also think the expense to remove all the mail boxes for the weekend is too. Unfortunately it's the reality of the world we live in large gatherings = terrorist magnet = things done (effective or not) to reduce the perceived threat.

I'm personally going to be affected by it and will probably be stuck trying to find something to do other then fly that weekend. :( Or maybe I should just take a long trip leaving before and returning after! :yes: When the masses descend, run and hide!

Missa

Last edited:
So far, Canada is not doing anything. That could, of course, change, but not so far. And as to the issue of aircraft registration, there's nothing to stop an N-reg plane from flying around on the Candian side, while any C-reg plane in the "red zone" on the US side is subject to the same actions as an N-reg plane in that zone.

wsuffa said:
Now, Spike, these TFRs and ADIZ areas MUST be working. After all, we've had NO terrorist attacks in this country since they began. Therefore and ergo, they must work. Right? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

The old elephant repellant argument. That is, ever since I started spraying elephant repellant around my house, there has not been a single elephant anywhere near here.

Jon

Missa said:
So that means you didn't check with the Canadians to see if there was any security measures they were taking. You're just basing your bitching on what some American reporter wrote in a magazine. Also, from what I understand it's a lot harder to get a PPL in Canada and there are different rules for flying in Canada. So, how much do you know about flying in Canada?

Missa

Missa-

I posted what I learned from the AOPA website, which in my experience (as an AOPA member for 13 years) has been a very reliable source for aviation information. This was directly from what is considered a fairly authoritative voice for the GA community. No, I did not check any Canadian sources personally, and of course I would if I were to be actually flying there.

I don't quite understand why I deserved such a harsh reaction to my post. I'm sorry if you felt I didn't adequate research my post, but I would hardly consider my source "some American magazine reporter". Trust me, I understand the problems of dealing with "T"FRs; I'm based about 5 miles from Mickey's "Temporary" West Coast Invisible Shield.

AOPA is now posting this information:
"AOPA has learned that, while Canada's security officials won't request a security-related notam for the Super Bowl, U.S. officials have requested through diplomatic channels that Transport Canada extend the TFR into their airspace, completing the 30-nautical-mile circle around Ford Field," said AOPA President Phil Boyer. "And we understand that Canada will likely grant the request for reasons not directly related to any real threat to the Super Bowl from general aviation."

I wonder if the Canadians just don't want to deal with the traffic squeeze that this TFR would put on this sector of their airspace.

Jeff

Last edited:
Missa said:
I personally agree that the TFR, with or with out the large chunk out of it is stupid. I also think the expense to remove all the mail boxes for the weekend is too. Unfortunately it's the reality of the world we live in large gatherings = terrorist magnet = things done (effective or not) to reduce the perceived threat.

Missa

And as American citizens we have the power to affect what you see as a "reality of the world we live in". If we think those in power are doing stupid, useless, and wasteful things in the name of "protecting" us, we have the obligation as citizens to voice our opinions on such matters.

Jeff

Jeff Oslick said:
I wonder if the Canadians just don't want to deal with the traffic squeeze that this TFR would put on this sector of their airspace.

Jeff

The Candians don't want to deal with a major international diplomatic incident with the United States. They don't need Bush jawboning them publically, especially after the results of the election. My guesstimation.

Jeff Oslick said:
"...reasons not directly related to any real threat to the Super Bowl from general aviation."
Ummm...a gift box two-four of Molson from W to Paul Martin? Letting a Canadian command NORAD next year?

Missa said:
I'm personally going to be affected by it and will probably be stuck trying to find something to do other then fly that weekend. :( Or maybe I should just take a long trip leaving before and returning after! :yes: When the masses descend, run and hide!

Missa

I think the weather may have its own plans for us:D

Back