What's worng with this picture?

EppyGA

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Let's Fly
Posting this as seen on the Student Pilot Board.
i took 3 of my friends today in the rental piper archer. I was on a shorter runway and wanted to practice doing a short field takeoff. I havnt done one since i got my liscense. so i put the foot brakes down pushed the throttle to full sat for a moment and let go, with 2 notches of flaps down. Rolled down the runway and rotated at 49knots (what is recommended speed for this plane). The plane sluggishly liftedoff, gained little altitude and then came back down and touched the runway! I got nervous as hell and knew training time was over so i dropped a notch, lowered my departure pitch and we took off, ... thenslowly released the last flap at a higher altitude.

All three of my friends are biggers guys who weigh around 200lbs one of them 250. Was a shortfield takeoff NOT the best option given the additional weight? I never seemed to have a problem doing this maneuver with my shrimpy instructor 5 months ago.

Do people really just forget all the stuff they learn from training or just figure it was all for fun and they don't need it anymore? :dunno:

Two notches of flaps? I'm not familiar with Pipers but I assume that equates to 20 degrees. Short field takeoffs should be done with 10 degree settings as per POH on a C172.

"All three of my friends are biggers guys who weigh around 200lbs one of them 250" :hairraise:

I assume his tanks were also topped off... overgorss anyone?

Wow, assuming since it's a rental the tanks will be full, just the friends and fuel are at gross. Vr is like 55 ktas and with two notches I'm surprised it didn't just mush down the runway. At least they didn't get the bright idea to go practice short/soft field on 1800' of grass or something.

All dem fisics things that crazy instruktor told me about don't matter no more sense he ain't in the plane with me.

Two notches of flaps? I'm not familiar with Pipers but I assume that equates to 20 degrees. Short field takeoffs should be done with 10 degree settings as per POH on a C172.

"All three of my friends are biggers guys who weigh around 200lbs one of them 250" :hairraise:

The POH calls for two notches for short/soft field. IIRC.

IIRC two notches is correct short field for the small Pipers (at least it was for the Warrior).

But technique was the least of this dude's problems.....I'd love to see the W&B for that flight!

troll.jpg

I am not savvy of all the internet terms out there but this post has the word "______bait" defining it. You'll have to help me with what type of bait it is.

The first time I took friends up after getting my cert. it was in a Piper Archer. The four of us ranged from 165 to 180 pounds. We would have been 60 pounds or so (can't really remember) over max gross weight with full fuel...

I'm assuming this guy's post wasn't real. But if it was, he should take some remedial lessons for both flying and English.

Well, he wasn't flying a C172 - In the Archer, the proper technique is in fact two notches of flaps, which I think is actually 25 degrees in that plane.

Almost certainly. Older Archers have a useful load of about 1000 pounds (1004 and 1006 in the two I know off the top of my head). Full fuel is 288 pounds, but we'll give him the benefit of the doubt and go with fuel at the tabs, which is 204 pounds. 3 more 200-pound guys and one 250-pounder puts them about 50 pounds over gross. If it was full fuel, about 90 pounds over.

The laws of physics apply whether or not there's a CFI aboard. :frown2:

(Is this a trick question? It's spelled wrong, not worng. :rolleyes2:)

I believe this is the whole thread:

http://www.studentpilot.com/interact/forum/showthread.php?39646-shortfield-takeoff-help

Not sure if the poster chose his avatar to indicate he is just monkeying around on that forum, trying to make a monkey of those who reply, or maybe just cosmic karma.

All I can say is that if he is for real and somehow managed to get a private pilot certificate then I would be terribly embarrassed if I couldn't. He also claims he has a college degree, but I've already discovered almost any hominid can earn a college degree (as long as one isn't too picky about field of study.)

P.S. According to other postings on that web site he earned his Private Pilot Certificate about 4 months ago (after allegedly failing his first check ride when he failed to use rudders to coordinate because his CFI never taught him that basic skill.) So he was a student illegally taking friends up for rides.

Last edited:
He makes no mention of DA or whether he set the mix for max RPM; probably didn't. Just stood on the brakes and went to full throttle without trying to get any more RPM.
Even 50 more revs can make a considerable difference.

He'll either smarten up, quit flying, or destroy an airplane sooner or later.

Dan

Back