What's this vent cooling?

My C-180 has had an Odyssey installed on the firewall for 22 years. Never any heat problems, no blast tube.

In general I’m not a fan of stealing air pressure from the top to feed a blast tube, especially big diameter tubes, but if the factory put it there I’d make sure it was installed properly. 1AD2C8D4-9968-4DBC-B474-180DECB0D88F.jpeg

Last edited:
What's wrong with them? They are no different, in any way, than I've seen in countless other Cessnas. They're stainless rivets. The holes are not drilled in a jig; they're a bit random, which is why replacing a firewall with a used firewall is difficult. BTDT.

So I'm still learning the technology on the forum. Didn't realize you could enlarge photos (I'm using my phone).

Upon closer inspection of the image, what I thought were blown-out holes and hammered bat sh-- rivets were actually just regular stainless rivets needing a good cleaning. The need for cleaning would be my only input at this point.

I've replaced a firewall or two. Not necessarily what I call an enjoyable experience.

If the vent was intended to cool the battery, does it make sense to blow on the outside of the plastic battery box? Seems to me that a better design would be a metal battery box with cooling fins on the side or an intake port on the battery box for the air and another port for the air to escape.

If the vent was intended to cool the battery, does it make sense to blow on the outside of the plastic battery box? Seems to me that a better design would be a metal battery box with cooling fins on the side or an intake port on the battery box for the air and another port for the air to escape.
There is no battery box. That is the battery.

I guess the blast tube is intended for battery cooling..

Terrific find! Thank you! Just installed a new hose and corrected the direction it was pointing.

Screen-Shot-2021-07-03-at-4-17-14-PM.png

Back