What's this? Oil in my gauges.

6t6

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
North Bound
IMG_0047op.JPG IMG_0048mp.JPG

So besides the obvious, what causes this? 69 PA-30. Low time engines. This one oi temp gauges has always showed a higher reading than the other side by about 5 PSI. As far as manifold pressure I'm at a loss. I was thinking of replacing the gauge anyway.

I see the gauges are stacked over each other... I'm wondering if the cause of oil getting into the manifold pressure gauge is leaking down into the oil pressure gauge?

It would be helpful to remove a gauge or look up behind the panel and tell us if oil is visible inside the panel? Curious if the issue is at the engine with symptoms in the gauges or one of the gauges is a problem.

I think it’s interesting that there’s a color difference in the oil...why is that?

I had this once. It was a simple fix. Pull the oil pressure line off where it goes into the engine, replace the gasket.

At least you know you have oil and its flowing!

Ya know, every pilot I know is so serious. It’s always a breath of fresh air to read POA and read comments, gives me random chuckles throughout the day.

I had this once. It was a simple fix. Pull the oil pressure line off where it goes into the engine, replace the gasket.

Haven't heard that but it will be in the process when I replace the gauges. So in the mean time waiting for new gauge to show a mechanic friend suggested I swap the left and right gauges and see what happens. Should the gauge read high like the old one and or if it springs a leak too then Ive got a problem other than the gauge and I'll get that fixed before I replace with a new gauge.

I want to thank everyone for their response.

Haven't heard that but it will be in the process when I replace the gauges.
I may have mis-spoke. Thinking back, it was my tach that had oil in it. Might be the same scenario though.

Looks like it's time to upgrade to a primary engine monitor(s) so all the oil stays on the engines.

Last edited:
Back