What's this? A POSITIVE GA article?

gibbons

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iRide
I was happy to see a positive GA article in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette this morning: http://epaper.ardemgaz.com/Reposito.../html&Path=ArDemocratNW/2006/04/02&ID=Ar00105

Probably too long for you to have interest in reading, but here are some quotes:

“It’s [an airport is] an enabler,” Hazelwood said. “The manufacturing world is fiercely competitive, and down time is something you can’t tolerate. The closer you are to an airport, the more ability that gives you to limit down time.” The company uses its two jets to fly in customers and show them how their climate-control systems work.

“The biggest asset of the airplane is it saves time,” Wilkerson said. “We wouldn’t travel like we do without it.” For Wilkerson’s business, the airport provides a road to elsewhere. Since March 5, the company’s Beechjet has made business trips to Tampa, Fla.; Detroit; Westminster, Md.; Boston; Philadelphia; Cleveland; Orlando; and Lawrenceville, Ga. The company handles 100 to 200 liquidations each year.

Without airports, those cities and others suffer an economic disadvantage against cities with general-aviation airports, said Dan Hubbard, a vice president with the National Business Aviation Association, a Washingtonbased organization representing 7,000 companies that own or operate general-aviation airplanes. “Communities all across the country tell us their local airport is their most valuable economic development asset,” Hubbard said. “It allows businesses to locate in places where the quality of life is good and the cost of doing business is lower.” The impact of small generalaviation airports can be high.

For Wiley Blansett, the owner of Martin Industrial Supplies in Searcy, two Cessnas kept at the city’s general-aviation airport provide a quick way for the company’s 12 employees to reach Jonesboro, Batesville, West Memphis and other places where janitorial supplies are sold.

A commercial flight last month from Little Rock to Houston illustrates the value of a general-aviation airport to Blansett. Blansett arrived early to get through the Little Rock airport’s security checkpoint, and the plane was 90 minutes late departing. Blansett missed a connecting flight in Dallas and ended up spending an extra day traveling.

Good for the Arkansas Demozette.

Chip

Wow, been a long time since I've seen an article like that! Thanks for sharing, it's quite interesting.

I'm not superstitious so I won't consider the fact that the continuation of the article was on the obituary page to be a bad omen.

That is great. Be sure to write the newspaper person who srote that and thank them. Maybe even follow that up with a letter to the editor.

Back