What's the single reason why you fly?

redshift

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Red Shift
For me, I sum it up like this: Freedom.

Anyone else?

To feel the feeling you get when the plane lifts off.

I always looked at birds and found myself to be very jealous. The view they get up there, the freedom to move in three dimensions, the places they can go without being bothered by land obstacles, the ability to be perched somewhere high without the fear of falling....

If there was a single reason I wouldn't. I don't see where it increases my freedom.

It's fascinating! The view is incredible and it's magical:)

It amazes me that man is able to take to the skies at all! Just seems like the sky could have easily been the exclusive domain of winged creatures yet we figured out a way to get up there with them! How awesome is that!!!

As far as I'm concerned, it's the greatest achievement of the animal called....Human:rofl:

Flying is a convenience.

Someone pays me to do it. If I don't, I get fired. It's simple, really.

I fly because it's really difficult to push the airplane from airport to airport.

'puts my mind "in a whole different place".... not a thought of work, house, kids, taxes, economy, etc.

61056391_31343afdc6_b.jpg

That about sums it up. I really do love to do it though....

Because the pilots in Top Gun were hot and if I...

okay okay, maybe it's just a lot of fun!

It keeps me humble. With my overwhelming good looks and dashing personality it takes Mother Nature to let me know there are some things on the planet I cannot overcome with a wink and a smile. :goofy:

The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward..... and wish.

o and it's cool too

When else can I "floor" an engine and go as fast as I please and not only have 1/4 mile to do it in?

Power for me. Full power (yes I fly a trainer) and that initial acceleration while bouncing down a runway followed by the feeling of hauling off of a little piece of road.

Geez, even after all these years I didn't know I needed a reason. If I don't have one do I have to quit? B)

Mark

how else are we gonna have lunch?

I like your pen holding technique, DavidWhite. I might just steal that.

I fly because I love the view of things from the ground. When I fly on airliners my head is always glued to the window but the view at lower altitudes is far better. The downward view out the window of a Cardinal RG with the gear up is pretty damn good.

And I fly because I am fascinated by the physics. The aerodynamics, the behavior and feel of the controls in a steep turn or slow flight and stalls. And learning how to master those forces for my own enjoyment and utility.

I fly because I have a lot of excess disposable income and I want people to know it. :rofl:

The joy of flight.

High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untresspassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

Pilot Officer Gillespie Magee
No 412 squadron, RCAF
Killed 11 December 1941

My boyfriend says he might want to be a pilot now so that if I break up with him again he will have a way to "get chicks".

I flew to "stay out of trouble" last year during a period of my life where I was single, living alone, and working a really stressful job. It attracted me because I will never, EVER, be done. Ever. There are always new planes to fly, new airports to see, new endorsements / ratings, lots to learn, etc. Even pattern work is different every time.

I got into flying for the challenge / experience / learning / confidence boost. I stayed in it for the people I've met. I am a pilot because of people from studentpilot.com and pilotsofamerica.com - I'm convinced.

Since I don't have a college degree or any recent trainings / certificates, it gave me something to accomplish / work towards.

I'm changing my answer. The single reason I fly is that lift exceeds drag. ;)

My boyfriend says he might want to be a pilot now so that if I break up with him again he will have a way to "get chicks".

I flew to "stay out of trouble" last year during a period of my life where I was single, living alone, and working a really stressful job. It attracted me because I will never, EVER, be done. Ever. There are always new planes to fly, new airports to see, new endorsements / ratings, lots to learn, etc. Even pattern work is different every time.

I got into flying for the challenge / experience / learning / confidence boost. I stayed in it for the people I've met. I am a pilot because of people from studentpilot.com and pilotsofamerica.com - I'm convinced.

Since I don't have a college degree or any recent trainings / certificates, it gave me something to accomplish / work towards.

Tell him it really doesn't work as well as he might think.

Because I must.

Just ask Mary what happens to me after a few weeks of being ground-bound... :yikes:

Tell him it really doesn't work as well as he might think.

nope, not unless the kids have redefined "chick" to mean 45-70 year old males.... Although I have hung out with pilot dudes over twice (and nearly 3 times) my age that gave me pointers on how to pick up widows at the elks lodge... no, i'm not kidding :rofl:

nope, not unless the kids have redefined "chick" to mean 45-70 year old males.... Although I have hung out with pilot dudes over twice (and nearly 3 times) my age that gave me pointers on how to pick up widows at the elks lodge... no, i'm not kidding :rofl:

Did that advice include anything more than breathing?

:)

There is never a single reason for anything important.

Why do I fly:

House payment
A car payment
A Wife
4 kids (2 in College)
The communist republic of California is darned expensive to live in.

plus I don't know what else I am capable of learning to do to pay the bills.

Back