Whats the scariest thing that's happened to you in flight.

Snaggletooth

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Dustin
Whats the scariest thing that's happened to you in flight?

I have not had a really "Scary" moment in flight, but one that was a tad.... tense was having 2 other planes in the same spot, and we were all going for runway 17. We could not see any of the other planes so we did a 360 degree turn to get a visual on the other plane. No biggy.

This would be it for me...
http://ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20080304X00255&ntsbno=DEN08CA056&akey=1

I went for a glider ride at a club in Alamogordo, NM. We ended up ballooning on tow and lost sight of the tow plane (I think we hit a dust devil), so the CFI in back pulled the plug. Unfortunately there was a pretty goot crosswind, and instead of turning into the wind, we ended up turning downwind.:nonod: There wasn't sufficient altitude to make it back to the runway so we "landed out" going downwind at what seemed a billion MPH. Anyone who has been in that area knows that the desert isn't exactly devoid of plant life, and the mesquite did a good job of slowing us down :yikes:. Unfortunately we hit a little ditch which caused the groudloop, and subsequent tail boom damage.

The following day I ended up flying with them in their Blanik :D.

IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0505.JPG

HOLY COW!! Glad yall were ok!

Make for a good hangar story I guess lol.

My scariest moment will always be the time I got lost in what was most likely sub VMC conditions in the mountains in an airplane with unfamiliar avionics and a faulty VOR receiver.

That was my closest "I could have died" moment.

Close 2nd: Taking off from KMIC with way too much weight and baggage on the grass strip and nearly pranging it on the crossing taxiway.

flying along under clear blue skies with a 20% chance of isolated TS, and within 10 - 12 minutes finding myself nearly surrounded by TSs which were in the process of merging with me in the middle.

I think I'll always remember the conversation with FS when I called in a pirep.

The guys voice made it clear that he really didn't believe what I was telling him.

FS: So you're seeing light rain?

me: No, very heavy rain all around.

FS: And you're seeing occasional lightning?

me: No, almost constant lightning.

FS: OK, I'll go ahead and put this in the system. Is there anything else . . . . . hold on a second . . . . I see them now . . . they just popped up . . . OK, there's a wide area of convective activity ranging from - - -

After he finished telling me what I already knew, his voice changed. It became clear that he had become worried about my safety, which wasn't really very comforting.

Scariest so far has been having the wind generator out front go silent unexpectedly.

The RV doesn't have cross-feed fuel (you can only burn out of one tank at a time). I wanted to get my right tank as close to empty as possible so I knew exactly how much fuel I had left in the left tank. I had just gotten around STL's Bravo airspace and things went "sputter sputter" a few times, then silence. I went full rich, prop full ahead. Still deafening silence. Got trimmed out for best glide and began to do more in-depth troubelshooting. "Check fuel selec...... DOH!!" Fuel selector to left tank, fuel pump on...... "sputter sputter VROOM!" WHEW!!!

Did I mention my mom was along on that ride!? That added a whole 'nother level of suckitude to the situation. Ever since then, if I ever get the urge to start doing 'funny math' in my head on fuel situations, I land for fuel immediately.

Oh yeah, and then there was the time that I tried to stretch the glide too far on a power-off practice landing and ended up stalling about 10' over the runway.. belly flop, but the gear held and propelled us back up about 5'. Enough time to get power and prop back in before hitting for the second time. Inspected the gear and all attach points and everything was/is still good. Dodged another bullet there. Ever since then, if I start thinking "ohhh, I bet I can juuuuuuust make it....", I make myself find another place to land.

One year on the way to Oshkosh I got behind someone who was too slow. Distracted by watching the very busy skies for aircraft I inadvertently entered a cross controlled stall, and was looked at a windshield full of ground all of a sudden. Got my attention.

Another year coming back from Oshkosh I had very low visibility as I tried to go around the Chicago Bravo via the lakeside. Coming around one of the class deltas I got too far out over the lake and lost sight of the city, and had nothing but mist and water all around. I heard the engine racing, and saw that I had inadvertently entered into a steep dive. Got on the instruments as best I could until I could again see some shoreline. Pretty much the same thing as JFK Jr. Better outcome though.

Engine failure over southern Mississippi at 6500'.

Nothing below except pine trees.

Deadsticked to a 3000' strip 5 miles behind (M24).

Landed successfully ON PAVEMENT.

Last mechanic to work on aircraft had left adel clamp loose that holds mixture cable to carb.

Adjusted mixture cable, tightened adel clamp and was back in the air two hours later.

A week later there was an airplane mechanic found dead in Harrison, AR. The crime was never solved.

Okay, that last line isn't true but the rest are.

Last edited:
flying along under clear blue skies with a 20% chance of isolated TS, and within 10 - 12 minutes finding myself nearly surrounded by TSs which were in the process of merging with me in the middle.

I think I'll always remember the conversation with FS when I called in a pirep.

The guys voice made it clear that he really didn't believe what I was telling him.

FS: So you're seeing light rain?

me: No, very heavy rain all around.

FS: And you're seeing occasional lightning?

me: No, almost constant lightning.

FS: OK, I'll go ahead and put this in the system. Is there anything else . . . . . hold on a second . . . . I see them now . . . they just popped up . . . OK, there's a wide area of convective activity ranging from - - -

After he finished telling me what I already knew, his voice changed. It became clear that he had become worried about my safety, which wasn't really very comforting.

Ha! Reminds me of flying to MSP for a Twins game shortly after getting my PP certificate. We saw a large wall of dark clouds between us and MSP. Call up FS on the radio...
Me: "xxx radio, N8114F is over Rochester at 5500 inbound to MSP, just checking to see what's ahead of us."
FSS: "N8114F, are you in the air!?!?"
Me: "Yes ma'am, but by the sound of your voice, we won't be for long!"

We were turning back to Rochester before she had time to get the next sentence out of her mouth.

FSS: "Reports of baseball sized hail between you and MSP." :yikes:

Coming home from banjo camp I was 10NM from my airport and could see a line of heavy rain to the west, VMC straight ahead, and the storm scope was showing lightening at 25 miles away. I figured I could make it with no problem. As I was cruising along at 3000 MSL I started to lose altitude so I pulled back on the yoke, of course I slowed down a little, was still losing altitude so I pulled back a little more, then I was losing more and pulling back more, I was cruising now at 70knots IAS and still losing altitude. I was 400 feet below my asigned altitude. I told Chi-App I was haivng trouble holding altitude, his voice got a little higher and he gave me a block down to 2000 MSL. I could see 3CK 3 miles ahead and started to give a lot of thought to the instant diversion and set down when I broke out of the downdraft and started gaining alititude. I was also a little north of where that squall line was coming at me. I felt pretty helpless and was glad to have broken out. I knew not flying forward would have just gotten me in worse trouble.

It was a routine x-country. Fat dumb and happy at 10000' in the middle of nowhere. Not a care in the world. The motor was purring. I was daydreaming; I know, I know - the worst possible violation of The Pilot's Code. Just looking out the windows at the scenery. All was right with the world. I glanced over at my copilot as he swigs from.....My Last Dr. Pepper!!! Worst shock of my aviating life!

Coming home from banjo camp

Now that in and of itself, no matter what mode of transporation would utterly, and certainly scare the HELL out of me.

:D

Just last week. On a trip to the Bahamas in a Pilatus, we were cruising along out over the water when passenger in the back started to have a seizure. I declared a medical emergency and made a 180 back to Florida. We were met by the crash crews and an ambulance. All worked out well, with the exception of a 15 year old with a life altering diagnosis of epilepsy.

Well, there was the time that I was flying along at 9,000 feet in a broken layer, mid-summer. T-storms weren't forecast, nor did any of the products I knew how to use at the time indicate that the forecast might be wrong. However, I was looking up and forward when I flew through the breaks to verify that the clouds weren't developing vertically.

Then, I was in a cloud when, with just the slightest bump, my VSI did a back-flip until it hit the peg at +2000fpm and the altimeter started doing its best impersonation of the propellor. I pushed the nose over and pulled power back and still couldn't get the VSI off the peg. I began turning around and called Green Bay Approach to let them know that I was in an uncontrolled climb and that I was turning around and why the heck had they just let me fly into a t-storm?!?

Well, they weren't painting anything on their radar. That requires precip! Something I hadn't really thought of before that was that no matter how well-equipped my airplane might have been - Even if I'd have had on-board radar, in fact - there is NO equipment that tells you that a thunderstorm *is going to* develop. Until the precip starts, there'll be no indication in the plane or on the ground.

A few minutes later, before handing me off, the approach controller said that they were now painting a storm about where I had been. It was an eye-opening experience for sure!

I generally try to get myself out of the situations that promote feelings of "I might die" before getting into them. The two times I've run a tank dry in a single have gotten my heart racing a bit, even though both times I knew to expect it and flipped all the right switches and got it back going immediately. The one time I did that in the Aztec it didn't bother me at all, but having the extra fan helps on that.

The first time I went into solid IMC by myself (which also happened to be my trip to 6Y9 last year) I wasn't scared so much as very alert. Ok maybe a little nervous for the first half hour or so. After that, it got fun and I was enjoying it. An hour and a half after entering, I broke out onto this perfectly smooth ocean of cloud tops, and saw what I consider to be some of the greatest beauty in flying, a reward for defying nature and flying in the clouds.

The most sobering moment of my flying was my first big trip in the Aztec to Kentucky. We had three non-pilots on board, people I'd never met up until an hour prior to takeoff. Nothing bad happened and the trip went without a hitch. They were all impressed. The sobering part was the realization that they were all entrusting me with their lives, and the responsibility that goes with that.

There was the guy who crossed midfield to enter the downwind, while I was on downwind and had to maneuver to avoid him.

But the one that still sticks with me was a lesson that should have been a simple excercise. Was heading to a nearby airport, not the home field. CFI pulls the power for a simulated engine-out landing. No problem, I thought, best glide speed, the airport is right there, wait for flaps until the field is made, try the engine restart, the whole drill. I didn't realize it until later, the throttle had been pulled back at a point where there was no way to make the runway. My CFI was setting me up, to see what I would do. I got fixated on trying to reach the runway and attempted to stretch the glide without realizing it. I finally decided I wasn't going to make it, then did a go around. Right when I did that, I looked at the airspeed indicator and saw just how close I had gotten to a stall.

That lesson still gives me a shiver, because I would have never seen it coming. It stuck, so it was a good lesson.

I once got socked into IMC during a VFR flight (I am instrument rated).Flying Solo and shooting a VOR approach in heavy IMC in icing conditions with only one VOR receiver working and only one Com radio. I saw the airport 2 seconds after i reached the MAP...

Once upon a time, I was about to flare for landing with the sun setting to my left. I looked out the right window and saw my airplane's shadow and another airplane's shadow right on top of mine. I couldn't figure out where the other airplane was, so I continued my landing figuring that a collision on the ground was better than one in the air.

I never actually saw the other airplane.

According to one of the line guys who saw the episode, the other airplane aborted its landing, made a 90 degree left turn, and exited the area at low altitude. It was a Cessna that wasn't talking on the radio and may have made a straight in approach.

I have no idea how I missed it in my scan. Presumably I was suffering from a recto-cranial inversion...

I had JUST been turned loose to practice on my own after soloing. I had a whopping 12 hours under my belt. I had been flying a certain 172 that had a momentary flap switch, where if you pushed it down to deploy flaps and then released it, the flap would stop its deployment and remain in its last position prior to releasing the flap switch.

The FBO that I used prior to solo closed down, so another 172 was located at an airport just south of my home field. This particular plane had a flap switch that required moving it back manually to a neutral position to stop flap deployment. I got checked out in it and was good to go out and practice.

So off I go, feeling like pretty hot stuff. Came back to land and got in the pattern. Deployed 10 degrees of flap on downwind. Twenty degrees of flaps on base. Full flaps on final.

Hey....what the heck? This airplane feels different on final. I glance out the window and sure enough, I was on final with NO flaps! Each time I had returned the flap switch to neutral, I had gone past neutral and had been retracting the flaps!

So a bit flustered, I went around. I'll be darned if I didn't do it AGAIN!!

OHm'gosh!! So on the third attempt, I focused on that flap switch to the point where I was not concentrating on my airspeeds. So when I rounded out and flaired, I ballooned. Rounded out again and flaired, made one of my best crosswind landings ever. Good thing too. That runway was starting to get real short!

It was time to quit for the day after that.

...defying nature and flying in the clouds.

Ted do me a favor and don't tempt mother nature instead lets say you were " working with nature":D

Look at 5.8 hrs you going to have plenty of time to have sphincter squeezers. One of mine was on my first XC during my PP training. Flight was KPNE to KWWD. Winds at WWD can get squirrley and I was in an
AA-1C Gruman Trainer. Short stubby wings and squirrley in its own right. We were doing a TG or a take off at WWD before the full stop and we entered a serious shear and the plane banked so far right at a very low alt and low speed lifting off the runway that I could have sworn we were knifes edge. CFI says "my plane" and got us leveled off.

I got fixated on trying to reach the runway and attempted to stretch the glide without realizing it.

Remember - glides are not like rubber bands. They don't stretch - slowing down when you are short just makes you come up shorter.

Need I say more? Probably NOT!

HR

EDIT: Yes, that's the same a/c in my avatar, but 15 months later.

Attachments

• N7872G 031404.jpg
    N7872G 031404.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Don't ask, don't tell.

Attachments

• PB163129.jpg
    PB163129.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 112
I have two that really scared me. One, just after rotation, an engine failure on an Aztec, that we managed to clear the greenhouses past the runway. The other we iced up the airframe so badly, I thought we were going to drop out of the sky.

Attachments

• IMG00051.jpg
    IMG00051.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG00049.jpg
    IMG00049.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 81
  • news081905_1_ful.jpg
    news081905_1_ful.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 104
Need I say more? Probably NOT!

HR

EDIT: Yes, that's the same a/c in my avatar, but 15 months later.

Didn't fly very well that way did it :frown2: Glad it's flying again :D

Surely you'll tell us the story.:dunno:

Bryon, those pictures scare me just sitting here.

I gotta say -- letting students mess up just enough so they learn is still pretty scary.

It takes alot of self control not to grab the yoke on some of these landings!!!

I'm far enough along now that I can "feel" the difference between a "this might be bad for this airplane" mistake and a "this may be my CFI expiration date" type.

But once in a while they surprise you....

I have not had a really "Scary" moment in flight, but one that was a tad.... tense was having 2 other planes in the same spot, and we were all going for runway 17. We could not see any of the other planes so we did a 360 degree turn to get a visual on the other plane. No biggy.

My first solo as a student pilot. Made two circuits without incident. Then, when I turned onto final for my third and last landing I was confronted with two airplanes coming straight toward me, in formation and at pattern altitude. I dived to the left and made a low pass over the nearby territory - then returned for an uneventful landing. I never saw those planes again - and doubt that they even knew they were overflying that airport. That was 41 years ago.

Dave

Uh, well, this happened recently, shall we say. I was landing, and upon roll out, the engine quit/failed. Basically, it ended up idling way to low, and on roll out, it got to low apparently. Rolled off the runway, and it started right back up. No fun, but nothing really, really scary.

It was a dark and stormy night :) in the middle of the Indian Ocean, with wind and rain and heaving ocean swells. We were coming in to land on the USS Nimitz on an E2-B Hawkeye, after controlling a "zip-lip" EMCON (Emissions Controlled) recovery; meaning nothing's transmitted from the ship, no radios, radar, nada. So, the recovering aircraft take an orbital pattern at some predetermined fix out over the open ocean called Marshal, and stack up in order of landing sequence, each plane stacked 500' above the next, called, obviously, "the stack". We give them a final steer to home plate in the blind and on their push time, off they go.

So, everybody's aboard the boat, including the tanker, and we're last to push. As comforting as it is having Texaco in the air, it does us no good, because we're not inflight refueling capable. The tried it once - Grumman modd'ed up a Hawkeye with a probe on top the cockpit and flew a proof of concept. Didn't get beyond that state, I guess. Must be that nearly 6 hours at max endurance, IIRC, is plenty for us. Pretty much the same fate as the sidewinder rail they glued on another Hawkeye test bed. Guess they figured some hot Hummer drivers would go out hunting for MIGs armed with one Sidewinder and get his/our butts shot down.

Anyway, we find the ship (yeah, we cheat... one last sweep with our radar and we give our front office a steer before we shut it down), and part of the landing checklist is, of course "Gear: 3 green; visual checks on the mains." The mains are plainly visible from the cockpit, but the starboard main is 4 feet from my window, and an "up close and personal" look is easily available. So, I grab my Grimes light (cute little built-in 28v corded flashlight) I shine it out the window to check the main gear. "Down and locked ... uh, wait a minute, guys. Down and locked, but turned side to side, instead of fore and aft".

"Griz, what the heck are you talking about?" I hear from up front.

"Seriously, guys. The main mount is NOT facing fore and aft."

The E-2 gear rotates 90° as it swings back to stow, so it lays flat inside the nacelle. A drag link had failed and the gear came down crosswise. Our choices are somewhat limited, but there are choices. Since there's no checklist for this situation in our NATOPS, we get maintenance on the radio. They come to the same conclusion we do. "It's broke. Nothing you can do to resolve this up there." Our Grumman Tech Rep is consulted, and he comes to the same conclusion as the rest of us.

So, here we are, pitch dark, pitching deck, and we are what the Navy calls "Blue Water Ops", meaning there's no land within flying distance. One choice is to climb above the carrier and bail out. Not a savory choice in the best of conditions. Besides, we still had gas and a flying aircraft, certainly not yet an emergency.

Another choice was to ditch alongside the boat, evacuate the airplane and get a helo pickup. Another not so great choice, given the dark, pitching seas. Oh yeah, and there's the sea snakes. Why is it always snakes? Also weighing heavy on that decision was the then-current knowledge that there were at that time, IIRC, two known ditchings of an E-2. Neither event went well. The airplanes broke apart in the middle and there were casualties. Again, we're still flying. The Navy tends to discourage throwing away flyable aircraft.

Ok, so we land this thing on the boat. Again, choices. One choice is to take the barricade, a large net of sorts, rigged across the deck to stop airplanes. Sort of makes 'em non-flyable again, but it's effective. Also helps keep pieces and parts in roughly one spot and hopefully eliminates cartwheeling down the flight deck wiping out all the other airplanes parked there, something that would probably upset the air boss.

Finally, we can fly a normal approach and landing (a "trap") and hope for the best. The Nimitz has been conducting continuous flight ops now for months on end, and the deck is slippery and greasy, maybe the gear will just slide on the deck. On the other hand, the starboard gear cocked like that could easily veer us right into the island structure and generally make a mess of things.

So, after discussing the options, PIC makes a command decision and we're going for a normal trap. So, landing checklist and here we come. Pilot flies a great approach and he plants it on the deck for an OK 3 wire pass. A typical carrier landing is "an arrival" ... there's no flare, no ease it on - you arrive or you don't.

I've got the light on the gear as we plant it on the deck, and as soon as the gear hits the deck, that main mount snaps around smartly, fore and aft just like it's supposed to, and we're home again. Fortunately, a happy ending to a scary event.

Great story Greg.

Kind of kills my story about the turtle on the runway, though.

Wheres CowboyPilot when you need a good story?

I haven't crashed, so I don't really have anything I can consider scary.

This one wasn't in flight, but it involved airplanes....

In 1982 Griffiss Air Force Base was to be the first SAC base to deploy to ready status B-52s with Air Launched Cruse Missiles (ALCM).

The Soviets called this "provocative."

That was code for "We haven't figured out how to counter that yet..."

Anyway, the ALCM was a single jet engine flying bomb with a W-80 warhead up front. In those pre-GPS days, the ALCM used on board terrain following radar to fly low (75') off the deck along a pre-determined path to pre-selected targets. Eight ALCMs "clipped" into a rotary launcher, mounted on each wing of a B-52H model (good view here)

The B-52s on alert sat on the far east end of GAFB on the ready Pad (crews were on standby ready to run and gun if "the balloon went up").

I was a Nuclear Weapons Tech, and so part of my job (under "other duties as assigned") was to drive a rotary launcher over to the pre-ready apron for loading on a B-52 that was going to go on alert.

The Weapon Storage Area (WSA) at Griffiss was on a little ridge north of the runway. The WSA was being enlarged to handle all the new ordnance, but in the meantime we still used the access road that went straight out the WSA front gate, down a small hill, across the single active runway, and then from there along taxiways to the load-ready a/c. (see Google Earth view of Griffiss here. WSA is on northeast side of runway. There are still two roads leading from the WSA to runway. The on in this story is the one that goes straight -- the angled one wasn't completed until after this story).

It was mid-winter, cold, snow, ice -- normal Griffiss weather! We were doing a "generation (when every bird is loaded with live ordnance as if tensions were heightened and we were about to go to war). These things seemed to only happen at night, in winter -- of course at Griffiss it was "night" and "winter" about 7 months of the year.

I was driving a Coleman tug, trailing 40,000 pounds of trailer and launcher loaded with 8 ALCMs. My "security" on this movement was a Peacekeeper vehicle in front, a "6 pack" pickup behind, and a very nervous, very quiet female Airman weighed down with helmet, flak vest, extra rounds, and Remington Wingmaster shotgun in the passenger seat.

When we got to the top of the hill the Peacekeeper veered left and did road security.

The snow was flying, it was dark, and we got the OK from the tower to cross the active to Taxiway Alpha. I looked both ways (habit), released the air brake (small lever down on the left that controlled the trailer brakes), and then released the Coleman brake.

We started rolling down the hill, but a bit too fast for me. I was pumping the brakes but could feel the trailer pushing us -- a jackknife would NOT be good.. so I let it roll just enough so we rolled straight.

Then tower came on -- "Hold there, convoy 6, inbound traffic..."

I hit the brakes (we were going maybe 5 MPH).

Nothing.

I applied full trailer brakes.

Nothing.

"Hang on."

She looked at me then straight ahead.

"Tower -- we're sliding down this hill - we can't stop!"

She started screaming.

Tower: "Hold for Inbound traffic!!"

In the darkness to my left I see LOTS of lights VERY close, moving VERY fast -- a B-52 about to touchdown.

I looked ahead at the remaining road before we hit the runway -- not much left.

We kept sliding. I had to let the Coleman roll or we'd jackknife and I'd lose all control.

40,000 pounds on ice does what it wants. The road had been plowed -- in the afternoon, probably eight hours earlier -- but in the meantime a thin layer of snow had fallen and by now was compressed into black ice.

At the bottom the hill levels off before crossing the runway. About 20' from the runway's edge lights the Coleman's tires began to grip, I felt the trailer jerk us back, at the same moment I saw a B-52 wingtip flash by, and then drogue chutes.

I released the brakes, we kept rolling, and made it to mid-runway before I heard tower say, "You are supposed to hold!"

I replied, "I'm crossing this runway!"

Security lights flashed behind us, I gunned it, we crossed the runway, and I drove it to the waiting bird.

I stopped it, and sat for a bit, with hardly enough energy left to actually open the door. She got out (I never saw her again -- no idea where she went).

Some Captain drove up in a car with a flashing yellow light and asked me what happened. I told him they should fire to idiot in the tower, and then told him what happened.

I didn't hear much more about it. Whenever there was an incident that could have been a Bent Spear or Broken Arrow, we all seemed to hush up about it.

Last edited:
Back