Whats the longest you've left your plane in a transient parking space?

jd21476

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
jd21476
I flew in to Redlands (KREI) on August 24th and had only planned on staying for 4 days. Then my unit got called up to support the wild fires in Northern California and my plane has been parked in transient parking at Redlands since then and I probably wont be back until the end of September.

I know she is probably ok but it always makes me nervous when she is not home safe and sound.

Whats the longest anyone has left their plane in transient parking?

10 Days. I flew to an avionics appointment early to get my ADS-B out installed because it was Fall, and the weather was flaky. Then I drove in for the appointment, where the weather was still flaky and by some miracle my favorite avionics guy wasn't killed by a random lightning strike. The weather cleared a few days later and I flew it home. I worried about it the whole time it sat on a strange ramp.

Might consider asking someone on this Board to go take a look at her from time to time. I am fairly certain there are members close by. I know some forums have a process where you can sign up for supporting stranded pilots ranging from overnight stays to providing local transportation. I don’t think POA does but it should be considered. Mods?

I flew in to Redlands (KREI) on August 24th and had only planned on staying for 4 days. Then my unit got called up to support the wild fires in Northern California and my plane has been parked in transient parking at Redlands since then and I probably wont be back until the end of September.

I know she is probably ok but it always makes me nervous when she is not home safe and sound.

Whats the longest anyone has left their plane in transient parking?

I’ll bet a call to the FBO might yield a hangar opening somewhere on the field, especially if they know why your plane is stuck there.

I regularly leave mine for two weeks at Oshkosh. We've certainly been a week at a time other place. I always ask an FBO where they want it if I'm going to be more than a quick turn.
I've only had one turd of an FBO give me grief when I asked (the flight school next door witnessed this whole nonsense and came up and helped me out).

Couple weeks in Knoxville when an oil cooler ruptured and then had to wait for repair and weather window (february/march) to retrieve it.

I know a guy at the airport who has kept me updated but it just feels odd not having it at home

Since I’ve began flying it, the Archer has been on tie down for about 4 weeks due to the home airport being closed for construction. Expected to reopen next Thursday and I’ll get it moved back into its t-hangar! :fcross:

About a month.

The airport had a sign saying something like "park here as long as you like, as long as your aircraft is a) tail-numbered, b) has airworthiness certificate, c) insured, and d) flyable."

8 days in Anchorage at Merrill Field.
Was totally a non event with the parking near the base of the tower. I did pass by a couple times to get things ready for the trek back to the Northeast.

A bit over a week at KALS (Alamosa, CO) for ADS-B. The work took 2 days but I couldn't get back for a week. When dealing with the Rockies in June, weather is the #1 issue. Come to think of it, doesn't matter what time of the year, weather is always the issue when going over the hills.
The cherokee was outside for the week. Altho I had shades on the inside, the entire plane was covered in dust & dirt. Took almost 2 hours to clean the windows well enough to fly. Couldn't find a birdbath anywhere.

2 weeks. It caused a stronger exterior preflight but no issues.

5 or 6 days here and there.

I know a guy at the airport who has kept me updated but it just feels odd not having it at home
Is she tied down well?

I brought my own tie downs instead of using the chains at the field.

The other issue is that there is a huge fire about 6 miles to the East so I have to keep and eye on that one.

And I do know a fellow who's had his Mooney tied down for decades. It has spent most of that time looking horrid, but the money saved on hangar rent has purchased a new paint job and some really nice avionics. I think my hangar has been worth it. Out of the elements for preflight, a good place to stash my flying stuff, and power to prewarm the engine and interior.

Two weeks, 'cuz the ramp had six inches of slush that had frozen, and I had to drive 250 miles home, then 250 back to get it. The FBO charged me only for my original 4 days!

I’ll bet a call to the FBO might yield a hangar opening somewhere on the field, especially if they know why your plane is stuck there.

I'm going to second this opinion. I know Californian's take supporting those fighting their wildfires very seriously and a lot of people (and thus FBO's) will do whatever they can to help that effort. In this case, if that means finding an open hangar on the field to stash your plane in or even just keeping an extra close eye on it until you can come pick it up, I can only imagine they would be more than happy to help you out.

I know ultimately that it doesn't completely resolve the knot in your stomach that comes from leaving your plane somewhere you're not familiar and not able to access it for some time but it'll at least help knowing its being monitoring and in good hands.

I'm going to second this opinion. I know Californian's take supporting those fighting their wildfires very seriously and a lot of people (and thus FBO's) will do whatever they can to help that effort. In this case, if that means finding an open hangar on the field to stash your plane in or even just keeping an extra close eye on it until you can come pick it up, I can only imagine they would be more than happy to help you out.

I know ultimately that it doesn't completely resolve the knot in your stomach that comes from leaving your plane somewhere you're not familiar and not able to access it for some time but it'll at least help knowing its being monitoring and in good hands.

Nicely said. Here in my Norcal area both the airport mangers and FBO's have been supportive. Every airport in my area was or is currently a staging base for firefighters. Local pilots have volunteered to help on the civilian side. Everyone's pitching in.

Back