What's the expiration time for BFR ground training?

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
Once you've done ground training for a BFR, how long is it "good" for? I ask because I get the sense that if you did ground training say on a Friday and flew on Saturday, that is ok.

In my case, I was grounded for medical testing. While down, I attended an AOPA seminar from a certified instructor who gave a logbook endorsement for ground training meeting the requirements of CFR 61.56, dated Jan 28, 2014. This Saturday (4/19, 2.75 months later), I'm finally ready to do the flying portion.

What's your thought, does the training from Jan meet the BFR ground portion requirement or do we need to sit and talk for an hour again?

My WAG is that it's entirely up to the CFI finishing you off.

Once you've done ground training for a BFR, how long is it "good" for? I ask because I get the sense that if you did ground training say on a Friday and flew on Saturday, that is ok.

In my case, I was grounded for medical testing. While down, I attended an AOPA seminar from a certified instructor who gave a logbook endorsement for ground training meeting the requirements of CFR 61.56, dated Jan 28, 2014. This Saturday (4/19, 2.75 months later), I'm finally ready to do the flying portion.

What's your thought, does the training from Jan meet the BFR ground portion requirement or do we need to sit and talk for an hour again?
I could be wrong but I expect this is totally up to the person signing you off for the complete BFR. If they have reason to believe you still retain the knowledge imparted/demonstrated during the last ground session by the time you get around to doing the in-flight part you're probably good to go. I would expect a short oral quiz on the pertinent issues would suffice to make that determination.

The only date that matters is the date of completion of the entire flight review. If you do a split review, with ground and flight portions completed separately, that would be the date you completed the last portion. One supposes the FAA might not be happy if you did a ground portion the day after you completed your last flight review, didn't complete the next flight portion for another 23 months, and then planned to fly for another 24 months on the combined result, but there's nothing in writing for them say you didn't follow the regulations.

That said, if you really need to have a legally reliable answer, you'd have to ask the FAA Chief Counsel, although this is another of those areas where I'd say, "If you can't stand the answer, don't ask the question."

I never do ground when I'm getting a flight review.

Ok...however it matters to the CFI signing off the completion. Got it.

Thanks all

Ok...however it matters to the CFI signing off the completion. Got it.

Thanks all
If a CFI only signs off the flight portion (as it is for Ed and me), that's all the CFI is signing. The responsibility to have completed the ground portion so as to fully meet the requirements of 14 CFR 61.56 remains with the pilot, not the CFI who signed the endorsement for the fight portion. In that sense, it doesn't matter what the CFI signing the flight portion endorsement thinks as long as s/he signs the 61.56(a)(2) endorsement for the flight portion. The rest is up to you. Note that one may complete the ground portion by other means than the FIRC Ed and I use, and you'll need whatever documentation you get from that to show you are fully compliant with 14 CFR 61.56.

Back