What's the Dumbest Aviation Decision You Ever Made. Here is Mine.

They are that efficient though
They're really not any more efficient than other similar airplanes

Speaking of "efficiency" is there a published list of Reynolds numbers or lift to drag ratios for common GA aircraft? We think of efficiency in terms of things like speed and gph (obvious), but overlook often size, useful load, etc. A slow big plane with high gph might actually be quite efficient aerodynamically if it's lugging around a large 6 seat frame

We can make *some* inferences from glide ratios.. here are some I have in hand.. from lowest to best..

C-172R = 9.1:1
C182 = 9.3:1
Arrow II = 9.5:1
SR22TN G3: 9.6:1
PA-28-140 = 10.3:1
PA-28-161 (Warrior III) = 11.3:1
M20E = 11.6:1
TTx= 13:1
DA40 = 13:1
A330 = 15:1
Blanik L23 = 28:1

Speaking of "efficiency" is there a published list of Reynolds numbers or lift to drag ratios for common GA aircraft? We think of efficiency in terms of things like speed and gph (obvious), but overlook often size, useful load, etc. A slow big plane with high gph might actually be quite efficient aerodynamically if it's lugging around a large 6 seat frame

We can make *some* inferences from glide ratios..

Glide ratio is L/D, more or less. Reynolds number is something else entirely, the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces, relating to airspeed and the size of the wing or other object in an airflow.

Passenger miles per gallon (or cargo weight miles per gallon) is a better measure of efficiency for a particular mission than just GPH.

11:30 at night, central Texas, 6000', in the cloud, the lightning was lighting up the clouds and the cabin so close to me I had no idea which direction it was coming from; felt like it was all around me and the ride, jeez. Don't think I am bragging; this was seriously stupid.

11:30 at night, central Texas, 6000', in the cloud, the lightning was lighting up the clouds and the cabin so close to me I had no idea which direction it was coming from; felt like it was all around me and the ride, jeez. Don't think I am bragging; this was seriously stupid.
Screenshot_20200207-173943.jpg

Back