What's the deal with crossing in and out the ADIZ in the GOM?

midcap

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
midcap
Lets say you want to fly from KGAO to KISM just in a straight line...you got your snorkel gear on just in case you need to splash down.

I know you would have to file a flight plan...but are there any other issues?

Technically, you have to have a DVFR plan active but from my experience, if you have flight following and a code you are good to go. Outside of that, it's just a long way over water.

You would be entering the US through an ADIZ, so all requirements of FAR Part 99 need to be met. This includes an appropriate flight plan, communication with a US ATC facility, transponder etc. See also the Aeronautical Information Manual starting on 5-6-1.
Jon

Technically, you have to have a DVFR plan active but from my experience, if you have flight following and a code you are good to go. Outside of that, it's just a long way over water.
You would be in violation of US law without an active IFR or DVFR flight plan.
Jon

Now keep in mind this was 20 years ago, and wayyy up north.

When I was in Kotzebue we flew across the ADIZ quite often. In the Navajo we needed to file a DVFR with FSS, usually on the radio when taxiing out for departure. We were given a ''discreet'' squawk code between 1300 and 1320.

In the 207 we didn't need a DVFR. On day I asked Flight Service why, and I was told it was because of the speed difference.

:dunno:

If your working ATC on a flight plan,they will usually walk you through it.They usually ask if you want to be that far over water.

And what if on VFR but no ATC comms?

You would be in violation of US law without an active IFR or DVFR flight plan.
Jon
As I posted. Also an exemption from the CFR 91.11: "Unless ATC authorizes an abbreviated flight plan" AKA Flight Following. This has been confirmed by the FAA ATM SOC part of the ATO.

But then again, my experiences are most likely different than yours. I've never flown in the snow or in the desert.

so just file a flight plan....it's probably a pretty good idea anyway while flying over the water. :p

It's not all trees in the Florida panhandle anymore. :(

Besides, if you fly along the coast, you can pick.

I'd rather stick closer to land than be 100 miles from the closest shoreline. This is coming from a pilot who flies to the Bahamas monthly.
I fish 100miles offshore...my EPIRB will let the coasties know where I am at :rockon:

Back