What's the best Garmin GPS??

77FLYR

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
77Flyr
Looking at a 396 or 496 Garmin Anybody have any input?

Or is it worth going for a newer 969 GPS

Using it in a Single so really don't need anything fancy..

Looking at a 396 or 496 Garmin Anybody have any input?

Or is it worth going for a newer 969 GPS

Using it in a Single so really don't need anything fancy..

I've got a 396 and a 496, the 496 updates faster. I use it for weather and XM radio, not really for navigation. If I were buying one today to navigate with, I'd probably look at the something with a larger screen like a 696, or just use an iPad. :D

I posted "Garmin Area 500 users help me out". you may want to read it, lost of folks gave me some good information.

I have the Area 500, it is a little hard to see screen in sunlight. I don't really care the way you navigate through the different screens, to many key strokes to get were you want to go. Touch screen is ok

The 496 is still great if you sail or are otherwise a boater. The marine charts for it are still incredible.

Going to the Caribbean Sea?

And, of course it is still supported for air and land. It is the only GPS for all purposes.

I have the 696 and like it alot the big screen is great and with no glare. and it's easy to navigate thru the functions with the "real" buttons and knobs in bouncey weather. I have it mounted with the RAM yoke mount on the pass side. I feel a little too big to mount on the left yoke and blocks the DG on my piper 235

I had a 496 installed in my plane. I like it, but the screen was just too small and if you wanted to interact with airspace and other things you needed to hook on the screen, using the cursor around was a bit of a pain. I sold it and got a 796. The 796 is outstanding. I have used it for the last couple years flying around the country and locally. I have XM radio and ended up buying the GDL-39 3D. It is awesome for free weather, traffic (ADSB only when other ADSB equipped aircraft are around me as I don't have ADSB out yet).

The touch aspect of the 796 makes it simple to use. You can literally just touch the airspace you are wondering about or zoom in and out with ease through touch. It is a really nice piece of gear. It is also really good in bright sunlight and much easier to read that my iPad Mini.

Carl

I now have a 696. I miss the 496.

GPS 12. :D Had some good flights with that thing.

Seriously though anything with a color moving map is I want. Gotta 296 in the plane and used 496 in the Army. I know the 496 has some upgrades but if you just fly VFR point to point navigation, the 296 works fine. Batteries aren't the best. Finally got one that holds a charge.

I was going to say, "the one in my car" but even that hunk of junk gets more and more ignored as the smartphone Apps solidly kick its ***.

I have a 495 (same as 496, except has no XM capability) in an Air Gizmo dock in my RV6. It drives my autopilot. I like it a lot and it gets the job done well.

I used them all. My favorite is ipad mini with Wing X. Second choice is the 696. I have a 496 in the Pitts and a 696 in the 172. The 696 is much easier to get info on.

I had a 496 installed in my plane. I like it, but the screen was just too small and if you wanted to interact with airspace and other things you needed to hook on the screen, using the cursor around was a bit of a pain. I sold it and got a 796. The 796 is outstanding. I have used it for the last couple years flying around the country and locally. I have XM radio and ended up buying the GDL-39 3D. It is awesome for free weather, traffic (ADSB only when other ADSB equipped aircraft are around me as I don't have ADSB out yet).

The touch aspect of the 796 makes it simple to use. You can literally just touch the airspace you are wondering about or zoom in and out with ease through touch. It is a really nice piece of gear. It is also really good in bright sunlight and much easier to read that my iPad Mini.

Carl

I have a 796 and love the footprint, but seriously hate the thing. Touchscreens in GA aircraft are seriously overrated. I have more "oops" moments with that thing than any single other piece of technology I own.

I have a 396 in my other plane and love it. I don't look forward to the day I have to replace it.

796's suck ass!

I have a 796 and love the footprint, but seriously hate the thing. Touchscreens in GA aircraft are seriously overrated. I have more "oops" moments with that thing than any single other piece of technology I own.

I have a 396 in my other plane and love it. I don't look forward to the day I have to replace it.

Back