What's the best credit card?

Bill M.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
barkleydog
What credit cards do you all have and like? My wife and I are considering changing credit card companies to one that offers cash back on all purchases. In addition, we are considering paying all of our utilities, gas, and as many other expenses as possible with the credit card to earn more cash back. Interest rates are not a factor since we don't carry a balance on any cards, but, security, reliability, and ease of use would be major concerns.
Do any of you already do this, and how do you like it?
Bill

Don't do it. There's no such thing as a good credit card. Keep one if you must so you can rent a car, but keep it in a drawer somewhere.

pic2_2.jpg

This kind.

I have a Discover gas card for all my fuel purchases. I've used it for about three years now. I average about $400 a year on some $7500 a year in fuel/other purchases. Part of that is other items like the cable and cell phone bills.

I have a Citibank MasterCard Dividend card that will also produce for me when I begin using it in another few months. Right now, it's racked up on an interest-free gig. I love the idea of using their money... interest free! If I recall, it's 5% on most things and if you buy from their preferred list, it's alway 5% which is a pretty lengthy list of common sources.

Outside of this kind of usage with balances paid monthly, credit cards should be stuck in a plastic bag, filled with water and frozen.

USAA, if you can qualify. They have extremely customer-friendly policies, courteous service (and it's really service), charge no interest on paid-in-full balances (the way it always should be), and have very competitive rates if you do choose to carry a balance.

I would vigorously disagree with having American Express as your only (or primary) credit card; if you wonder why, ask a merchant. AmEx extracts a large vig from the merchant. This is one key reason many merchants opt not to accept AmEx.

I know of no benefit that American Express can give that I cannot get with my USAA MasterCard.

You need three. One for regular household purchases, two for your aviation hobby. With high limits. On the last two.

Actually I did research on this for myself last year. For various reasons these turned out to be unfavorable in my book:
MBNA
Disc
MC
Capitol One
And I ended up with:
one Amex (allows a high limit)
one Visa (universal acceptance)

I wanted two in case I have a problem with one.
I gave up completely on finding a card with 'usable' points/credits/other programs...I think they are a scam.

I have a Discover Card that I put everything on, and pay it off every month. And when I mean everything, I mean food, cable, gas, dinner, clothes, electronic goodies, everything except aviation.

Then I have a VISA Air BP card for witch anything and everything aviation goes on. This also gets paid off every month.

I then have a Captial One MasterCard that I use only for internet purchases.

Discover and Air BP give me cash back.

I have a Discover Card that I put everything on, and pay it off every month. And when I mean everything, I mean food, cable, gas, dinner, clothes, electronic goodies, everything except aviation.

Then I have a VISA Air BP card for witch anything and everything aviation goes on. This also gets paid off every month.

I then have a Capital One MasterCard that I use only for internet purchases.

Discover and Air BP give me cash back.
I used to have a Capital One card. It got me started on rebuilding my credit. But, it's a gonner. They do not report credit limit, thereby hurting your credit score. They report high credit but that's it. Even that number drops down after a period of time.

I had a card with them for $5500. My bureau showed one high credit of $4200 but a credit limit of zero. With the zero, it makes your entire credit availability appear much less.

You can have three cards with each having a $5000 limit, one of them being a Capital One card. Your total credit limit is calculated as $10,000 since none is reported by C1. Now, if you have a balance of $2000 on each of the three cards resulting in a total of $6000 in outstanding credit, you've exceeded your available credit by more than half. The standard affecting your score taking it much lower is outstanding credit exceeding 50% of the available credit.

So, dump Capital One. Get a real card.

What card do YOU have? :D

Interesting! I thought I had it narrowed down to Discover and Capitol One, but now...looks like I need to do more homework. I had an AMEX years ago and and not willing to pay a fee anymore.
Thanks y'all!

Interesting! I thought I had it narrowed down to Discover and Capitol One, but now...looks like I need to do more homework. I had an AMEX years ago and and not willing to pay a fee anymore.
Thanks y'all!
I don't know what issues others had with Discover. Their great in my book. In January, THEY called me to inquire about charges that looked out of line to their computer. It turns out someone had charted $1800 to my card with HP.com for a couple laptops. I would not have known until I saw the statement which would have been nearly four weeks later since I had just received the most recent statement. That shows an investment in live customer service; something that is seldom done these days.

A have both those highly rated cards - Discover Platinum and a new Citi Platinum Dividend Mastercard another bank card I don't use since their support guy laughed at me when I told him their crappy web site burned me....and a Target Visa I put through the new shredder when I saw the 21% APR.

I have a $2.80 credit on the Target card because I returned a $2.49 item. Being that I can't use the card that credit will be there until I get tired of getting the envelope in my mailbox. It amuses me that they have to spend $n.00 + $0.3n postage every month telling me I have the $2.00 credit.

Customer service at Discover is insanely great. The Citi CS is very good, too.

Last edited:
No fee on my Amex...wife's does for some reason.

Crapital one had an insanely low limit. I figured out why the first time I went over. Fee$ they get to collect. Snip, snip.
MBNA has a wonderful system of sending bills....about the day they are due. So their cute little income generating system was Fee$, too - for 'pseudo-late' payments.

I don't know what issues others had with Discover. Their great in my book. In January, THEY called me to inquire about charges that looked out of line to their computer. It turns out someone had charted $1800 to my card with HP.com for a couple laptops. I would not have known until I saw the statement which would have been nearly four weeks later since I had just received the most recent statement. That shows an investment in live customer service; something that is seldom done these days.

Well, glad they did it, but don't forget: they're doing this principally for themselves, not for you, since your liability for fraudulent charges is $50.00. Not to say you don;t need to know- but it is not altruism at work, it's consumer protection law.

No fee on my Amex...wife's does for some reason.

Crapital one had an insanely low limit. I figured out why the first time I went over. Fee$ they get to collect. Snip, snip.
MBNA has a wonderful system of sending bills....about the day they are due. So their cute little income generating system was Fee$, too - for 'pseudo-late' payments.

I love the way certain credit card issuers have fine print- the due date may be (f'r'instance) May 29th, but the fine print says that "...payments received after 6:00 a.m., on the due date, are considered late..."; chicken dirt!

There's no such thing as a good credit card.

Sure there is. It's one that belongs to someone else, who lets YOU use it and they pay the bill. Too bad I can't find one of those. :rofl: :yes:

Last edited:
Sure there is. It's one that belongs to someone else, who lets YOU use and they pay the bill. Too bad I can't find one of those. :rofl: :yes:
You have to find someone who goes by the name, "Sugar" and often answers to "Daddy." :D

Well, glad they did it, but don't forget: they're doing this principally for themselves, not for you, since your liability for fraudulent charges is $50.00. Not to say you don;t need to know- but it is not altruism at work, it's consumer protection law.
This is true. They are limiting their exposure. As it turned out, I was accessed nothing and they were able to reverse the charge to HP as the card was accepted as a "keyed" without any verification of address or other contact data. HP allows a completely new sign up account and a card accepted on the spot. I guess the risk is low for them... usually. But, not on the day before Discover called me.

Something I found odd was I managed to get more data out of HP than Discover which included shipping address, email address, FedEx numbers, signors, etc. I went to the police to make a report. They refused to take a report as I was no longer considered a victim since my funds had been returned in full. Fascinating!

I have way too many cards. Many will soon be canceled. I went through a rebuilding stage, and went with some that had higher than desirable interest rates, and ridiculous annual fees. Those are the ones I'll be leaving behind.

Features to look for are obvious, no annual fee, favorable interest rate (even though you don't carry a balance, it's a good idea). And cash back. And watch out for the term "introductory rate". They go way up after a few months to a year.

I have a new Chase "Professional" MasterCard that has all these features (interest around 9% IIRC). Also features no interest for the first year (they are trying to train me to carry a balance :p).
It's a keeper!

I have way too many cards. Many will soon be canceled. I went through a rebuilding stage, and went with some that had higher than desirable interest rates, and ridiculous annual fees. Those are the ones I'll be leaving behind.
If you want to be rid of a credit card, only cancel if it has an annual fee. For the rest, unless you have awesome credit and/or a score is of no consequence, simply cut it up and toss it.

Leave the account open only to go dormant on its own. If it's important to keep your score high and show a high available credit amount, simply make a small charge once every six months, pay it and move on to another six months.

But as soon as you actually close the account, your score will go down. Even paying the balance every month, you're going to have a reported balance. The less that amount is in relation to the reported available credit, the better.

More cards than I use. My MBNA cards are now BoA. I know everyone hates them, but I pay them off in full, so the insanely high interest rates don't worry me. And I get e-mail notification from BoA when the statements are posted, so I don't really need the paper statements to make the payments. And those arrive in plenty of time.

I will second the good comments on Discover. I have had them call about fraudulent charges, too. And MBNA called about something that didn't look right to them (charge from an outfit in South Africa a couple years ago). It was legitimate (I even told them the original charged amount in Rand), but I appreciated their checking.

Now, don't get me started on Amex. I have an Amex card in my wallet, but it is my corporate card. I don't have a choice. I had an Amex Optima card many years ago, but after the trouble I had getting rid of a number of fraudulent charges (and the card hadn't even been out of my wallet, I no idea how the perps got the number) I closed the account. Never again.

Oh, and I fired Chase a number of years ago, too.

This is true. They are limiting their exposure. As it turned out, I was accessed nothing and they were able to reverse the charge to HP as the card was accepted as a "keyed" without any verification of address or other contact data. HP allows a completely new sign up account and a card accepted on the spot. I guess the risk is low for them... usually. But, not on the day before Discover called me.

Something I found odd was I managed to get more data out of HP than Discover which included shipping address, email address, FedEx numbers, signors, etc. I went to the police to make a report. They refused to take a report as I was no longer considered a victim since my funds had been returned in full. Fascinating!

Bit of a 7500, but a few years ago, I got a call from a check cashing service, asking to verify employment on a fellow trying to cash a "paycheck." He was unknown to me, and definitely not on my payroll, and when I told the girl calling not to give the guy his ID back or to give him any money, the guy bailed. We closed our account immediately (great service from a local bank), and as it turned out, although as many as six had been passed, none ever cleared the bank.

Guy was ultimately caught, and arrested... the folks who had cashed checks for him were complaining witnesses, but we were not... because none of the checks cleared, we were not "victims." What-ever!

One guy, cashed the check, kept asking me why I would not cover the check; I told him, "it's not ours, it's a forgery," and he'd tell me, "Your name's on it!" I finally got him to understand it this way: "Dude, if I print your name and account number on a check, and manage to get someone to cash it, does that mean I am entitled to your money?"

He relented, but I really think he still thought I was getting away with something.

[/7500]

USAA, if you can qualify. They have extremely customer-friendly policies, courteous service (and it's really service), charge no interest on paid-in-full balances (the way it always should be), and have very competitive rates if you do choose to carry a balance.

I would vigorously disagree with having American Express as your only (or primary) credit card; if you wonder why, ask a merchant. AmEx extracts a large vig from the merchant. This is one key reason many merchants opt not to accept AmEx.

I know of no benefit that American Express can give that I cannot get with my USAA MasterCard.

I agree on all points.

USAA is about the best card I've found, and customer service is excellent. BoA/MBNA hacked me off too many times - while I still keep a card of theirs, I don't ever use it.

AmEx has done OK by me, but they do have a reputation for being difficult at times, and as Spike says - they charge a higher merchant fee so a lot of places don't take it. I do maintain an AmEx because it offers certain benefits when traveling (especially commercially).

i just use my mbna aopa card still, but pay it off every month.

Back