What's next?

Well, Dad was up there a couple weekends ago, tilled, disced, planted grass seed and stamped it in. This weekend with all the moisture they've been getting, it's already coming in pretty good. He'll have more details, but I guess it already looks like a carpet. We also got a new mower deck, and he says the runway looks like a golf course, which isn't surprising considering the mower deck came from - a golf course.

I'm going to try and get up there the 4th of July and figure out the route for the hay ride on Saturday night, and which abandoned road to take the Joneses out on and dump their bodies, I mean, uh...where we're going ATVing. I don't know if I'll have a plane of my own to go in there with until next week.

There's also going to be indoor lodging available so people won't have to tent it if they don't want to. It won't be the Radisson, but it will be dry and heated if it gets cool.

Well, Dad was up there a couple weekends ago, tilled, disced, planted grass seed and stamped it in. This weekend with all the moisture they've been getting, it's already coming in pretty good. He'll have more details, but I guess it already looks like a carpet. We also got a new mower deck, and he says the runway looks like a golf course, which isn't surprising considering the mower deck came from - a golf course.

WOW!! Rachel and I are really looking forward to it! She said as we were leaving LAST year that we MUST go back this year.

I'm going to try and get up there the 4th of July and figure out the route for the hay ride on Saturday night, and which abandoned road to take the Joneses out on and dump their bodies, I mean, uh...where we're going ATVing. I don't know if I'll have a plane of my own to go in there with until next week.
Ok.. Maybe notsomuch anymore........ ;)

There's also going to be indoor lodging available so people won't have to tent it if they don't want to. It won't be the Radisson, but it will be dry and heated if it gets cool.
Eh.. That's part of the fun of camping at 6Y9 -- Will I freeze to death in the night? Will I be eaten by a bear? Will Leah kick Tony out of the tent and send him looking for a warm place to sleep? All just part of the charm of 6Y9! :D

Actually folks, it's not bad at all up there! EdFred and all of the XxFred's up there make the 6Y9 Fly-In a GREAT event. The entire surrounding community comes out to mingle with the pilots - they are EXCITED to have the airport there and have people using it.

If you enjoy camping under your wing, you will LOVE 6Y9! You are far enough from the 'city' to enjoy the FULL beauty of the night sky (even saw a glimpse of the Northern Lights last year) but you still have access to civilization such as indoor showers (no showering with a kitchen faucet like at OSH), convenience store < 1/4 mile walk away, mom-and-pop restaurant ~200 yds from runway (hopefully it re-opens before Labor Day -- I think we gave them so much business last year, the place closed up and the owners retired to Florida!). If you're NOT a fan of outdoor camping, it sounds like there will be indoor accommodations available, and if the XxFred's are in charge of it, I can guarantee that you will NOT be disappointed with the 'digs. If you're in need of ANYTHING while there, the XxFred's are always around and willing to either 1.) Point you in the direction you need to go to get what you need or 2.) Take you there themselves.

If you were stuck away from Gaston's because of wx (or any other reason) this year, put 6Y9 on your calendar - you will NOT be disappointed. Oh well, and I guess people that DID make it to Gaston's are welcome, too. ;)

Edit: Added some pics to get people in the mood. :)

Attachments

• 6Y9_07 004.jpg
    6Y9_07 004.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • 6Y9_07 007.jpg
    6Y9_07 007.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
  • 6Y9_07 011.jpg
    6Y9_07 011.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
  • 6Y9_07 013.jpg
    6Y9_07 013.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
  • breakfast crowd.JPG
    breakfast crowd.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 27
If you were stuck away from Gaston's because of wx (or any other reason) this year, put 6Y9 on your calendar - you will NOT be disappointed. Oh well, and I guess people that DID make it to Gaston's are welcome, too. ;)
They are welcome as long as they don't drone on about how great Gaston's is ;)

Was it at 6Y9 that Tony taxied the plane to the gas station to get gas? Can I do that with the 195?

Was it at 6Y9 that Tony taxied the plane to the gas station to get gas? Can I do that with the 195?
Sorta. Tony pulled or pushed it over there. I don't think he taxied right up to the pumps.

The gas station/general store is real close to the airport.

Oh lets face it. The whole town is close the airport. That is why it is so charming!

Hum, indoor lodging... I assume it's the unoccupid units at the airport? I'm assuming that one would still need camping stuff (cots and sleeping bags) for the indoor lodging?

Wondering because Shane's idea of camping is the holiday inn. I got him to go camping over memorial day so that he could go rafting and admitted he like it except for the sleeping on the ground and lack of tempature control (COLD). I may just be able to talk him into 6Y9er now... Details Ed?

Hum, indoor lodging... I assume it's the unoccupid units at the airport? I'm assuming that one would still need camping stuff (cots and sleeping bags) for the indoor lodging?

Wondering because Shane's idea of camping is the holiday inn. I got him to go camping over memorial day so that he could go rafting and admitted he like it except for the sleeping on the ground and lack of tempature control (COLD). I may just be able to talk him into 6Y9er now... Details Ed?
Holiday Inn. To me that is roughing it.

I mean they have no spa or room service :hairraise::eek::hairraise:;););)

greg, you could probably do it. IIRC we didnt have too many problems with wingtip clearance. although there is an area just before the station where you have to go between trees. I bet that if you couldnt make it over there we could find something to transport a little fuel to the airport for you.

We acquired the township hall, and that's where the sheltered lodging would be. You would need to bring an air mattress and sleeping bag. It's an open plan but we would set up privacy curtains so people can have their own "rooms" if they desire. There is also one small room separated off from the main room. It has electricity and will have heat.

Edit: Found it: OGM - Ontonagon.
You got it. I stopped there too even though it was the opposite direction for home for me. I had heard what a cool place it was. I liked taking off to the south and having to climb a while to see over the ridge line too! We don't get to do that a lot on the MidWest

LNL is also a quick hop to the SW and a bit closer than Ontonogan. There is also a lodge ON THE FIELD at LNL.

Next year, I plan on coming for sure. I doubt I'll be medically safe or able to fly by this year's fly in, but I'm not missing 6Y9 again. I went the very first year, and it was probably the most fun I've ever had at a fly in.

I was at 6Y9 last weekend ,as Ed said the grass is growing on the 600 ft that we're adding. For those who have been there it's also a little wider than last year as I've been busy with the chainsaw and the dozer. So unless we have a severe drought the extra 600 ft will be usable for Labor Day.
On the west end I've had the dozer busy working on the 300 ft. planned down there. Probably won't be ready this year with grass ,but Kent, if you go a little long like you're first landing two year's ago it will be dirt but probably pretty smooth.( No, he didn't go off the end,but pretty darn close).
Other Things:
1.We'll have a mat at the shower stall and a way to lock the door.
2. We'll put a modesty curtin up for Chris,(this is for the neighbors benefit)
3. We will have clean gas cans for fuel,except for Tony,he can taxi/push/pull like last year. We can drive and get 100LL in an emergency if necessary.
4.Since the restuarant is closed we can do some breakfast stuff at our cabin.
5. We have more bikes available now on the field.
6. To the south Antigo Wi. fuel was $4.19 for 100LL ( that may change)
To the east Newberry Mi. was $4.20 ,(also may change)
7. There is a 30 ft. segmented circle of white drums around the windsock,to find it easier now.
8. Thanks, Scott for the AWOS system,it's installed.

If there are others things needed,I'll see what we can do.

We would like to make this bigger and better than ever
The first year 11 aircraft . The second year 20. We would like to have 30 or 40. I know that would make my day,so see if you guy's/gal's can get a few more to come on up. I'm working on getting more of the local U.P pilot's to come,and some from my home base airport.

Ok I'm getting psyched a bit early but I have wanted to make this one for two years now. Current plan is to fly West Commerical and hitch a ride with someone, Kent, Grant someone flying north. Either that or Drive the 6+ hrs from Milwaukee or Minniapolis. Looking forward to it

All Attendance lists have been moved at EdFreds request to the Attendance List Thread. Please post there if you will attend.

Ok I'm getting psyched a bit early but I have wanted to make this one for two years now. Current plan is to fly West Commerical and hitch a ride with someone, Kent, Grant someone flying north. Either that or Drive the 6+ hrs from Milwaukee or Minniapolis. Looking forward to it
Of course we'll take you! (You may not get to share a tent with us, though!:D)

Adam, you are, of course, always welcome to hitch a ride with me, and that would be a much shorter drive! I'd even come pick you up at KLOM. ;)

I am planning to Go to 6Y9 again this year. Adam if you need a Ride I will probably have room leavng from Madison, WI

That's one of a few planes I've heard the line guys not being thrilled to do.

Probably because they are not to thrilled with the idea of damaging them in some way. It isn't really that big a deal with a ladder and hose.

Maybe we can arrange a KC 135 tanker to circle overhead.
Seriously this year will be better with 2600 ft. So a little more fuel on board or an extra person should be possible. I'm still cutting trees on the approach to 28 so that will be better on landings. I could maybe trim tree tops on 10 but there's still that power pole 300 ft off the end. I called the power Co. to see if they would move it,they said they could . The quote came in at 24K,so watch out for that pole that's going to be there for awhile.:eek:

The quote came in at 24K,so watch out for that pole that's going to be there for awhile.:eek:

Geez.. You mean that we don't matter to you to drop $24k on a telephone pole!? Why don't ya'll put forth a little effort to get people to come up there. ;) :D

I am completely kidding, by the way. Ya'll do a helluva job to accommodate all of us whiny people. :yes: I don't recall the pole being an issue for anybody getting in or out of there last year -- including Tony & Leah in the Citabria.

ill actually be in a 100LL burner this year, moving on up!

Wow Tony! I didn't know you could put the 421 into a 2600' strip :)

Adam, you are, of course, always welcome to hitch a ride with me, and that would be a much shorter drive! I'd even come pick you up at KLOM. ;)

I will pay to see this if you come in on your VTX!

Wow Tony! I didn't know you could put the 421 into a 2600' strip :)

In yes. Out, I'll pay to see that too.

I will pay to see this if you come in on your VTX!

Ahem... it seems I should have used better sentence structure here.

If I come on the VTX, Adam is not welcome (sorry Adam, female passengers only). :blowingkisses:

If I come in the Archer, Adam is very much welcome. :yes:

In yes. Out, I'll pay to see that too.

There is a solution to this problem:

MORE BOOST!!! :yes: :yes: :yes:

have to be really light. like me and leah and just enough fuel to get to ontanogon.
Based on the 421 departure I saw at Gastons with two guys in it--I would say it would probably be possible. But you better pray everything goes right.

Based on the 421 departure I saw at Gastons with two guys in it--I would say it would probably be possible. But you better pray everything goes right.

And the DA wouldn't be what it is in Arkansas.

Plus, we probably wouldn't have to worry about that telephone pole after (if) he made it out of there. ;)

Back