What's Lowest Cost Plane to Book Hours In?

Depends on where you are at. But a tie down will be a lot less than a hangar.
At the airport where my ride hangs out (ONZ, Grosse Ile Municipal), a tie down is $49 per month, and the lowest cost hangars are $152 in the "big shared hangar" and $224 for your own hangar.

$224 for your own Hangar! I wish you could find something that cheap in Northern Colorado! I think around here it's about $400 at most places for a T-Hangar. If I could find hangar rentals for that cheap I'd give more serious thought to buying (at $4200/yr it just doesn't make economical sense for a cheap $20,000 150 or PA-22).

If you're gonna buy a 150/152 Cheokee 140, Tomahawk etc for $20K you could possibly get your tickets for less than renting if you're able to get through an annual cheaply and fly it a couple hundred hours then sell it for close to what you paid (like other have said you could also loose big time if need an engine overhaul, if the plane has compressions in the 70s more than likely you should be able to fly it a couple hundred hours and not need any major work, but there's never any guarantees). As much as I think Pacers and Colts are good planes for the money I would not tie down a fabric plane outside. Most of the aircraft tied down outside are going to get destroyed overtime by UV, Hail and possibly corrosion depending on where you live. Short term I don't think it's a bad plan but for the long term I think it's better to have your plane hangared. If you run the numbers on Storage, Annuals, Fuel, Oil (engine overhaul reserve if that matters to you) etc vs the cost to rent you'd be surprised that renting is usually cheaper (there's a reason the old saying "if it flys, floats or f..., it's cheaper to rent it" exists).

Don't know how many of your are familiar w/ the Jerky Boy's "Frank Rizzo" sketches, but the Rizzo voice was all I could hear internally as I read the above quote.

Windpane.. read the texts. Take a lesson or two locally and rent the plane. If you're still gung-ho, buy a Cherokee or 152. Building will cost you a lot more money, and a LOT more time. Trust me...I'm the best...dat's right, sizzlechest....

Tarbash and Sol were hilarious as well. Funny stuff, 20-25 years ago!

$50 a month is pretty standard for a tie down... Seriously, get a C-150, or another 2-seater that doesn't mind sitting outside while you put most of your money in the fuel tank...

150's are those airplanes that are decently fun to fly, but not something I'd ever want to outright own.

If I have a personal plane then I can book 800x hours at a cost of probably $40,000 (plus option to sell for some money back) more than enough to accomplish the licenses and quals that will allow me to get paying gigs.

I think it is totally unrealistic to be able to purchase any airplane and fly for 800 hours for a total cost of $40k all-in. 800 hours in a Cessna 150 would cost $22k in fuel alone. Add annuals, routine MX, surprise MX /ADs, insurance, parking, and the $ list keeps growing. If you don't get lucky finding a used AC with low engine hours, you could be looking at $10k to $20K for an engine overhaul somewhere in that 800 hrs. 800 hrs is a lot of time to be hoping that nothing major goes wrong with the plane.

If your goal is really just to get a paying gig as soon as possible, sometimes trying to find the cheapest way is the wrong way & cost you more in the long run. Look into enrolling in a part 141 flight school partnered with the commuter airline of your choice. Get a loan for the $90k ish cost. After you get your CFI, you will start earning back some of that money flight instructing the new students & you won't be paying for plane rental anymore. As long as you maintain the training, medical, background, and moral standards of the regional airline partner, you will likely get a conditional employment offer while you are still training. With the $25k +or- signing bonuses being offered plus your salary, & you can figure that your training cost will be covered just in your first year of working for the regional carrier.

Back