What's involved (work/cost) to install KI-214 GS indicator

psween

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
psween
Looking at a C150 with a KX-125 nav/com and would like to add a GS indicator to give it ILS capability. The KI-214 has an internal GS receiver and is supposed to be compatible with the KX-125. Any guesses as to install costs to just add the indicator and wiring? Does it need an additional antenna as well? There's a spare hole in the panel already, and I'm just looking to add ILS for the absolute minimum cost. Thanks!

Patrick

Too bad you aren't in my neck of the woods. I suspect we could do it with you doing the work for $100 in parts and a case of Corona for me to teach you how to do it.

Feller I knew a LONG time ago over in Silicon Valley got STINKING rich doing contract integrated circuit design back in the '60s for National Semiconductor, Intel, and a whole bunch of others and retired before he was 40. Somebody came to his house and asked if he would do just ONE more and Bob agreed. When the customer asked the price, Bob backed his Ferrari out of his garage, pointed to the garage, and said, "fill it with Scotch". And that was cheap at twice the price.

Jim

It's not that big of a project. but is rather tedious. You can use your existing NAV antenna, with a diplexer.
I Know what is involved, as I recently installed a KX125 with KI214 in my Cherokee.

Thanks for the replies, tedious I can live with. I am an A&P but don't have much avionics experience. If most of the hassle is mechanical i.e. pulling wires and mounting stuff, I am comfortable with that. Bennett has used 214s for under 1 AMU, so if I end up with the plane that is likely the route I'd take (sealed bid auction, hope to hear soon if I got it).

Patrick

Back