What's in your wallet?

Ghery

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Ghery Pettit
New Capital One "What's in your wallet" ad. Airline miles have expired, but dad has a plan. Next scene mom, dad and two kid are in a Cessna with a whacked out pilot. N number clearly visible. C-172N belonging to someone in Woodland Hills, CA. Guy crop dusts in a scene. Oh well... :D

Yeah, I want that 172 if it can carry 4 pax + pilot (and presumably someone in the front right seat, as per the commercial) and can still have enough useful load to carry the crop dusting schtuff.

Surprised they let the N number stay visible though. :D

Yeah, I want that 172 if it can carry 4 pax + pilot (and presumably someone in the front right seat, as per the commercial) and can still have enough useful load to carry the crop dusting schtuff.

Surprised they let the N number stay visible though. :D

Me too, but you can't see the overload in the exterior shot of the airplane turning left away from the camera. All other scenes were obviously done in a studio. The closeup of the airplane approaching the camera was obviously a model by someone unfamiliar with the plane. The air intakes in the leading edge of the wing were missing. But, not good publicity for GA.

On the other side of the coin. I have seen a reasonable ad recently involving a C172. Shows an old guy explaining how much he enjoys flying and this particular product keeps him in the air. Some scenes with the plane flying over the countryside. Someone should schedule the AOPA be a pilot video's after it.

Me too, but you can't see the overload in the exterior shot of the airplane turning left away from the camera. All other scenes were obviously done in a studio. The closeup of the airplane approaching the camera was obviously a model by someone unfamiliar with the plane. The air intakes in the leading edge of the wing were missing. But, not good publicity for GA.

I'm not so sure it's really bad publicity, it's just another dumb commercial. The TV familiarity factor could outweigh any negative points, who knows when the public is involved?

I'm currently at KCGI (Cape Girardeau, MO) where I've had meals at two different restaurants today. Twice, I've had servers turn their nose at flying in a small plane saying it was too scary. Such commercials don't help but rather do considerable damage to general aviation. It's pretty sad. :(

On the other side of the coin. I have seen a reasonable ad recently involving a C172. Shows an old guy explaining how much he enjoys flying and this particular product keeps him in the air. Some scenes with the plane flying over the countryside. Someone should schedule the AOPA be a pilot video's after it.

Excellent commercial and positive for GA as it positions it as part of an "active" lifestyle in your retirement years. I think the product is some form of health insurance, but I've only seen it once. The ad prominently features GA, flightplanning, etc. Very well done.

The "What's in you wallet" ad on the other hand. :rolleyes:

There's a similar commercial for retirement planning with a woman in a glider. Very good commercial.

I got a little miffed when I saw the Capital One commercial - haven't seen it again though in a while - thought maybe it got pulled. Guess not.

I think the product is some form of health insurance, but I've only seen it once.
I've seen this commercial a number of times, and while it portrays GA in a positive light, it must not be a very good commercial because I can't remember what they're advertising. :dunno:

Last edited:
I've see this commercial a number of times, and while it portrays GA in a positive light, it must not be a very good commercial because I can't remember what they're advertising. :dunno:

It's because we get focused on the flying part. It's not a good commercial for pilots unless they'd put in big bold letters across the screen the name of the company/product. Otherwise we just won't hear it.

They haven't been showing the people crammed into a Cessna commercial as much as the one with aborigines with the blow guns. I think that one has worse stereotypes.

I'm a little surprised that no one mentioned that show "Jericho"- they send people driving out to see what's happening in neighboring areas. In a later episode, there are a bunch of ne'r-do-wells hanging out at the local airport.
1) What happened to all the local pilots? They could have done a good job of recon for the town.

2) They chose the airport to be the place whare the low-lifes hung out- what sort of message does that send?

Let's face it, the media hates General Aviation. They think we're either crazy idiots or rich snobs flying around in our "toys", causing headache, noise pollution, and crashing into people's home. The day I see GA being portrayed positively in the media is the day I eat my logbook. For the record, I was miffed at that Capital One Commercial and because of said commercial, I have boycotted Capital One.

Back