What's going on Asiana Airline AAR2067 - going around twice now

jpskies

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
jpskies
Looks like they landed this time around. I clapped on behalf of the passengers.

I heard the tower reminding them to retract gears during the second go-around, as "the gears still appeared to be down. Contact departure on..." when they were already cliambed pretty high.

LAX: Wind 090° 11kt. Visibility 5sm. Light rain. Mist. Clouds scattered 1100ft, broken 4100ft, overcast 9500ft. Temperature 12°C, dew point 11°C. Altimeter 29.9inHg

L
LAX: Wind 090° 11kt. Visibility 5sm. Light rain. Mist. Clouds scattered 1100ft, broken 4100ft, overcast 9500ft. Temperature 12°C, dew point 11°C. Altimeter 29.9inHg

Sounds pretty benign. But even severe clear conditions can pose a challenge to Asiana on approach, as they demonstrated by crashing into the seawall at SFO in 2013.

I really hate speculating, but I have a good idea what happened. Most Airbus pilots will know the answer to this one.

They fly an approach and for whatever reason they go around. On the Airbus you have to put the airplane into ‘approach mode’ by activating the approach (which is not the same as arming an approach to capture the localizer and glideslope).

We usually activate the approach at around 10,000 feet. Well, after a go-around, if you don’t activate the approach again, when you press ‘managed speed’—which is usually done while descending on the glidepath, the power will come up and accelerate to 250 knots before you know it. So then you’d be unstable and need to go around a second time.

But hey, I could be wrong.

Most Airbus pilots will know the answer to this one.

Have you made a YouTube video about Airbus quirks? I really enjoyed your video on the MD80 including its “goofy” cockpit features that just always work, some of them just like the DC3. Your enjoyment of the airplane, as an airplane, really shined through.

I really hate speculating, but I have a good idea what happened. Most Airbus pilots will know the answer to this one.

They fly an approach and for whatever reason they go around. On the Airbus you have to put the airplane into ‘approach mode’ by activating the approach (which is not the same as arming an approach to capture the localizer and glideslope).

We usually activate the approach at around 10,000 feet. Well, after a go-around, if you don’t activate the approach again, when you press ‘managed speed’—which is usually done while descending on the glidepath, the power will come up and accelerate to 250 knots before you know it. So then you’d be unstable and need to go around a second time.

But hey, I could be wrong.
the question is, have you done it more than once? when I did it, I was lucky. my captain was so on top of it, he had it in selected speed, activated, and back into managed speed in less than 10 knots and before I could even process what I did.

Have you made a YouTube video about Airbus quirks? I really enjoyed your video on the MD80 including its “goofy” cockpit features that just always work, some of them just like the DC3. Your enjoyment of the airplane, as an airplane, really shined through.
Working on it for sure! Thanks!

I had a friend that flew in there that day and said it was some of the worst turbulence he's experienced as a passenger.

Has the NTSB confirmed the names of the pilots yet? ... oops shouldn't have gone there.

Back