What's For Dinner?

That looks good. The secret is having beef ribs with enough meat on them to be worth it plus not overdoing it, which was my mistake at my first smoking attempt.

Yeah, back ribs don't have as much meat as short ribs, but for the two of us this was plenty. There's even a leftover rib in the fridge for us to fight over tomorrow.

Who said beef ribs?
e56e63db6385caa633da945ff2861001.jpg

c925fbc82e814014493ea903c64f0974.jpg

OMG, it looks like it jumped off the bone. Can you share some deets? Time and temp? What kind of wood?

250* to an internal temp of 208 (not a typo). Those took about seven hours over mesquite.

Here’s a deeper primer.

250* to an internal temp of 208 (not a typo). Those took about seven hours over mesquite.

Here’s a deeper primer.

Wow, that surprises me. I would have thought that the temperature would have stabilized after 2-4 hours for ribs but those ribs look really meaty.

My first beef rib attempt (see the BBQ thread) ended in crispy critters after seven hours at 250 but on the other hand there as no meat to speak of on those ribs. Looks good though.

Wow, that surprises me. I would have thought that the temperature would have stabilized after 2-4 hours for ribs but those ribs look really meaty.

My first beef rib attempt (see the BBQ thread) ended in crispy critters after seven hours at 250 but on the other hand there as no meat to speak of on those ribs. Looks good though.
Short ribs (flank; belly) have more attached meat than loin/back ribs (what's left after you take a rib steak -- or roast -- off the bone).

As to crispy critters, I've read attempts to explain the process (applied to brisket to explain "the stall") as a chemical process akin to the melting of ice. When you raise the temp of ice to zero degrees F, then continue to add heat to the "system", that additional heat is absorbed to accomplish the phase change from solid to liquid, but the temperature remains zero until all the ice is melted. A similar process converts the intramuscular connective tissue to gelatin at about 200 degrees, where chewy tough turns into melt-in-your-mouth soft.

I've tasted ribs from Franklin that you could eat with a spoon.

Short ribs (flank; belly) have more attached meat than loin/back ribs (what's left after you take a rib steak -- or roast -- off the bone).
:yeahthat:

The ribs I showed in post #278 were back ribs, taken from a rib roast, and I only smoked them for about 3 hours. Much less meat than short ribs, but still delicious.

As to crispy critters, I've read attempts to explain the process (applied to brisket to explain "the stall") as a chemical process akin to the melting of ice. When you raise the temp of ice to zero degrees F, then continue to add heat to the "system", that additional heat is absorbed to accomplish the phase change from solid to liquid, but the temperature remains zero until all the ice is melted. A similar process converts the intramuscular connective tissue to gelatin at about 200 degrees, where chewy tough turns into melt-in-your-mouth soft.

I've tasted ribs from Franklin that you could eat with a spoon.

The stall in is meat sweats. Literally.

Back