What's different between second and first class?

TMetzinger

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
I'm going to go in for my medical soon and I figure I'll get a first class this time, since it may be required for some work I'm going to do in the future.

Besides getting the EKG (I'm 42), is there anything else I should expect to be different from my second class?

I had an EKG with my PCP when I hit 40 and he said it was normal, so I'm not worried about that.

I'm going to go in for my medical soon and I figure I'll get a first class this time, since it may be required for some work I'm going to do in the future.

Besides getting the EKG (I'm 42), is there anything else I should expect to be different from my second class?

I had an EKG with my PCP when I hit 40 and he said it was normal, so I'm not worried about that.

FAR 67:
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...8&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title14/14cfr67_main_02.tpl

You'll have to do a comparison point-by-point to find the differences. You Murricans need a chart like us Canucks use:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Regserv/Affairs/cars/Part4/Standards/t42402.htm

Dan

Take a look at FAR part 67:

http://www.aopa.org/members/files/fars/far-67.html

I read Far 67. Didn't see "hypertension" mentioned there once, as an example. Based on FAR 67, the only thing that's different between 2nd and 3rd is the absence of myocardial infarction and other clinically significant... by electrocardiogram.

But, since we ALL know that there are standards implied but not specifically expressed (like the 155/90 or whatever it is for BP), I was looking for the practical answer. To wit, besides the EKG, is the doc gonna apply different standards for BP, is he gonna take any additional fluids besides the urine, and is he going to be testing for anything else besides glucose and protien in the urine?

To wit, besides the EKG, is the doc gonna apply different standards for BP, is he gonna take any additional fluids besides the urine, and is he going to be testing for anything else besides glucose and protien in the urine?
Although I have not researched the difference between first and second class I can tell you that they do not take any other fluids besides urine and and I don't think they test for anything other than protein or glucose because I have seen the nurse do the test with the paper strip. It only takes seconds and they compare it with the colors on a chart. Then they toss everything out. I don't know about the standards for BP since I don't have a high BP problem. The EKG only takes a few minutes and the results are transmitted directly to OKC. Supposedly they will tell you right away if there is an obvious problem.

I'm sure one of the docs on here can give you a better answer but this has been my experience with First Class medicals.

The medical examiner's handbook is available on faa.gov. (I'd search for and provide a link, but I'm runing out the door.)

IBut, since we ALL know that there are standards implied but not specifically expressed (like the 155/90 or whatever it is for BP), I was looking for the practical answer. To wit, besides the EKG, is the doc gonna apply different standards for BP, is he gonna take any additional fluids besides the urine, and is he going to be testing for anything else besides glucose and protien in the urine?

Tim,

The only difference is the EKG. Vision is the same as 2nd Class. BP is the same across the board, 155/95. Special issuance problems tend to be more stringent for 2nd and 1st Class vs 3th Class. And it only lasts 6 months as a 1st Class.(Although I think they extended the young peoples to one year)
I don't do 1st Class medicals because there is not enough call for it up here to warrant buying the EKG machine.

Barb

Tim,

The only difference is the EKG. Vision is the same as 2nd Class. BP is the same across the board, 155/95. Special issuance problems tend to be more stringent for 2nd and 1st Class vs 3th Class. And it only lasts 6 months as a 1st Class.(Although I think they extended the young peoples to one year)
I don't do 1st Class medicals because there is not enough call for it up here to warrant buying the EKG machine.

Barb

Thank you!

Tim,

Barb
Here ya go...

Attachments

• CurrentMedicalStandards03.31.09.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 226
Here ya go...

Class I doesn't look that much more stringent, but that ECG requirement could be a tricky one. What do they look for? What might give OkCity pause on an ECG tape?

Class I doesn't look that much more stringent, but that ECG requirement could be a tricky one. What do they look for? What might give OkCity pause on an ECG tape?
oh........conduction abnormalities.....episodes of atrial fibrillation.....a silent inferior MI......the list goes on and on.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back