What's cool in San Francisco?

tdager

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
LittleIronPilot
Anything cool that is aviation related?

I am here until Friday morning and other than seeing the Golden Gate bridge, I would like to visit a cool airport or something after I get off work during the day.

Thanks.

Hmm. Want to do a bay tour?

There are a few aviation museums around. One is at San Carlos Airport. The Hiller aviation museum. Its about 15 mins south of SF.

Can't think of anything aviation related, but I enjoy spending time in Golden Gate park - the Arboretum and the Conservatory are pretty neat.

If you have a rental car check out the Marin Headlands across the GG bridge.

Sounds as though you might not have time to get to any cool airports (all far away from downtown SF) or fly a Bay Tour (which is what you'd want to do if you did have time).

How about Crissy Field? It's a *former* airfield, right by the shore of the Bay, now a very scenic park with lots of paths/marshland, great views of the GG Bridge, easy striking distance of downtown SF. Nothing left of aviation there now, but it's a beautiful place to stroll.
http://www.crissyfield.org/

And while you're in that area, go to the Palace of Fine Arts / Exploratorium...

--Kath

Katherine...I am afraid you are right, that is the way it is when I travel (though my friends think it is "glamorous" all of the cool places I go, as I tell them, one hotel looks a lot like another!).

Oh well...anyone up for a meet and greet dinner or drinks?

Definitely the Exploratorium. :yes:

Also, be sure you get down to Fisherman's Wharf and have the good ol' clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl. Yum.

Actually, I had a great meal down there at a place with live music and excellent food. Wish I could remember the name. :(

You could tour Alcatraz, ride the cable cars (and go to the cable car power house/museum), drive down Lombard St... There's a ton of things for a tourist to do in San Francisco.

I loved the Maritime museum, but then I like tall ships. I know that it is not aviation related but it is worth seeing.

LOL..my second passion after flying is sailing...so I hear you on that!

Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday evening (after 5PM).

How about Crissy Field? It's a *former* airfield, right by the shore of the Bay, now a very scenic park with lots of paths/marshland, great views of the GG Bridge, easy striking distance of downtown SF. Nothing left of aviation there now, but it's a beautiful place to stroll.
http://www.crissyfield.org/

--Kath
Just bring your mace or a club to scare away all the unleashed dogs running around :mad:

Kath (I bet) understands why I say this...

Anything cool that is aviation related?
I don't know if you would consider it aviation related but you could watch the hang gliders at Fort Funston. Even if they are not around it's a nice place to hike on the bluffs above the ocean.

Somebody already suggested the Hiller Museum at San Carlos Airport and I believe there is also one at Oakland Airport although I've never been to that one.

San Francisco has a lot of cool things to see depending on what interests you. It's more or less my second home which is why I'm here right now. Enjoy the weather. It's great for January!

LOL..my second passion after flying is sailing...so I hear you on that!

I have never been sailing, well other than on a hobiecat and that can hardly be considered sailing. But the funny thing is I really don't like boats. I go on them to scuba dive and I love looking at them or building models of them but I hate being on them. Might have something to do with being on one (USNS Range Sentinal) during a tropical storm off of Florida in the 1980s (20-40 footers :vomit:) and sinking on another one in Lake Michigan and spending almost an hour and half in 50 degree water hoping our mayday was heard.

and sinking on another one in Lake Michigan and spending almost an hour and half in 50 degree water hoping our mayday was heard.

Sounds like a story there... What kind of boat? What happened? You must have been wearing rubber?

Sounds like a story there... What kind of boat? What happened? You must have been wearing rubber?

It was October and Karen and I planned to do some scuba diving. Karen was a fairly new diver and this was to be her first dive from a boat. The plan was to leave out of Waukegan harbor and do the wrecks out in Lake Michigan that were sitting in 60-80feet of water.

A few days before the dive the original charter canceled on us due to boat problems. Another person who had booked with us knew another boat and got us on it. The plan was now to leave out of the Evanston marina and dive the Wells Burt, a ship that had sunk about a 100 years earlier, just three miles offshore in 50 feet of water. The night before the dive was a windy, raining, October storm. We felt for sure the dive would be canceled but the WX cleared about 4 am. Dive departure was 7am. We packed up and headed to Evanston.

The boat was a small single engine open boat and as we checked in we inquired to the conditions. The capt indicated that it was 3-4 footers out there and it would be fine. To be fair I had been diving to 8-10 footers off of West Palm Beach plenty of times. While not being comfortable 3-4 footers did not bother me. So we loaded up and off we went.

It was a bit rougher than 3-4 it was more like 5-7. In Lake Michigan they are short period waves, not rollers and it was a rough ride. The sky was overcast and it was gloomy. I was looking forward to getting under the water so that I could be less queasy. There was no horizon at all to be seen but I could see the Chicago skyline just to our south.

We got to the dive site and set the anchor. I started getting geared up and helping Karen, all was pretty normal until I was handed a life preserver. That is not a normal event and I noticed then that I was ankle deep in water. I put on my life preserver and made sure Karen was set. I started paying close attention to all that was happening. The capt was on the radio giving our position. We dropped the anchor to get going ASAP and turned west and headed in at high speed. Shortly thereafter the engine died.

By this time there was a lot of water on the deck, the capt tried to start the engine, twice, then picked up the radio mic and called "MAYDAY, MAYDAY...." a wave then hit the boat and we went over. I heard someone say "here we go", I looked down as the edge of the boat dipped into the water and I kinda of leaped away for fear that the other side of the boat would hit me.

As the boat completely capsized my left leg got caught in the gunwale and I was dragged under. My head kept going under as I tried to free myself and I swallowed some water, I got free but by this time my life preserver had come off of my head. I started to swim to it but it was going away from the wreckage and everyone else. So I decided to swim back to the wreckage and other people.

As I swam back I started counting heads in the water, 1,2,3,4,5... One was missing. So I started calling people's names, all but Karen answered. I started calling for her but she did not answer. I could not see very far as the waves blocked my view. In fact they blocked my view of the Chicago skyline. From about four miles away I could not even see the John Hancock building. It was like being in IMC without a compass there was no way to figure out what direction to go in. But at that time I was more worried about Karen.

Maybe 45 seconds later she appeared, she had been trapped under some of the wreckage. She did not know how to get out and she decided to 'swim to the light'. So now we were all accounted for. The water was cold, 4 of us were in 7mm wetsuits, 2 in drysuits and the capt in street clothes. I had no hood or gloves on and neither did Karen.

The wreckage was breaking up and there were cables tangling around our legs, we dodged pieces of the wreck that would break apart and sink. We tried to stay together in hopes that when the Coast Guard arrived we would be easy to spot.

It was about 45 minutes later that the first Coast Guard boat arrived. They had a difficult approach do to the waves and bits of flotsam from us all about. But the got close and started pulling people out based on how badly hypothermic they were. I was the third from the last to get out.

By that time my hands refused to work and I was having a hard time thinking. It was 1.5 hours since our Mayday call, I would find out later.

There is some shore stuff that followed our safe return. The owner of the boat refused to give anyone his insurance info, he told us to contact our homeowners insurance and his apology was "SH%^ Happens", I decided right then I was getting lawyer. We had lost a lot of gear and our car keys. We had no way to even get home and this smuck of owner was not even offering rides.

Another boat had heard our mayday and had also responded to the spot, on that boat was a friend of mine and he saw my BCD that had the car keys in it. So he recovered it and brought me my keys so we were able to get home. Sometimes it is a small world.

The Coast Guard cited the capt for taking the charter out during a small craft advisory and for not having a safe boat. The boat, it turns out, was a flat bottom surf boat. It was also not the first encounter the CG had with this owner. The previous year he had a charter and a storm blew up while he had divers down. So he left the diver site and notified the CG to come out and pick up his divers, NICE GUY HUH? His reason was the boat was not safe in the rough conditions. The year before that he had killed an employee of his when he ran over them with the dive boat. I knew none of this at the time of our charter and only learned it through our lawyer.

The reason the boat owner did not want to give out his insurance was because he had "fraudulently obtained" his insurance. He had told his insurer it was a recreational vessel, not a commercial one. The insurance company denied all claims. We drafted a lawsuit. I went to deliver it to him with an ultimatum, "Lawsuit or store credit for my lost equipment", his choice.

He balked on this for a while but I had showed up at his store 30 minutes before he had a class starting and stood there as his students arrived talking loudly about how he had almost killed me, Karen, and others. He finally let me take store credit, I just started picking stuff up of the walls until it added up to what I had lost and then left.

I then made it my mission in life to get this guy out of business. I visited every dive shop in the Chicago and Milwaukee area telling them of the story, handing out literature about this guy, I even took the time to attend a scuba show he was at to educate the public that were coming into his booth. I went to the regional mangers of the scuba equipment he carried and told them the story and asked them why they wanted to be associated with such a criminal.

He did go out of business in less than a year later, I like to think I helped and in the process saved a few people. He is now a High School principal at a Kenosha school, SIGH!

Scott:
Holy cr@p!

Scott,
Since I just took up diving last year, and am in the Chicago area, I was VERY interested in the story. I'm glad he's out of business. I was afraid that he was one of the instructors I've used, though I couldn't see either of them being ANYTHING like that. They were both good, safety conscious people.

He did go out of business in less than a year later, I like to think I helped and in the process saved a few people. He is now a High School principal at a Kenosha school, SIGH!

Hey, at least he doesn't own an FBO! :hairraise:

Scott, glad you both made it out OK! What an ordeal. Who regulates charter boating operations? The CG?

Scott,
Since I just took up diving last year, and am in the Chicago area, I was VERY interested in the story. I'm glad he's out of business. I was afraid that he was one of the instructors I've used, though I couldn't see either of them being ANYTHING like that. They were both good, safety conscious people.

I doubt you used this shop or had him as an instructor. The shop name was West Shore Aquasports and this all happened in the early 90's. I know a lot of the shops around the area and a corresponding amount of the instructors. There are only a couple that I am currently wary about and they do not teach down by you.

Where did you get your cert?

Castro district? :D

You know I went there and I never saw anyone that looked like Fidel. I ask a lot of people where I could get Cuban food but I never found out, I did get a couple of offers for dinner and a movie from some very nice guys, but they kept want to take me out for Mediterranean food, Greek I think. They were real friendly. Wonder what that was all about, usually big cities are so impersonal. ;)

You know I went there and I never saw anyone that looked like Fidel. I ask a lot of people where I could get Cuban food but I never found out, I did get a couple of offers for dinner and a movie from some very nice guys, but they kept want to take me out for Mediterranean food, Greek I think. They were real friendly. Wonder what that was all about, usually big cities are so impersonal. ;)

Funny, I had the exact same experience except I was greeted by a bride in a white gown and full bridal party in bridesmaid dresses.

Yeesh.

A former business partner was taken to a restaurant in Castro by a client one time, left to use the mens room and found that it was covered - floor, walls, and ceiling - with mirrored tile. Came back to the table, looked at his client, and said: "Just WHAT kind of restaurant is this, anyway?"

I doubt you used this shop or had him as an instructor. The shop name was West Shore Aquasports and this all happened in the early 90's. I know a lot of the shops around the area and a corresponding amount of the instructors. There are only a couple that I am currently wary about and they do not teach down by you.

Where did you get your cert?
Originally did the classroom and pool work in the early '80s with Claude Jewell, a NAUI/YMCA/PADI instructor. Didn't get the open water done, though, so no C-Card.

Went back last year and got it done (started from scratch) with Darrick Lorenzen, a NAUI instructor. Did the Basic and Advanced work, and did the dives over at Haight Quarry.

Darrick is the publisher of Midwest SCUBA Diving (http://midwestscubadiving.com/).

Back