What's an AIREP?

skyflyer8

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skyflyr
I've finally gotta ask, what can you all tell me about "AIREPs?"

I have discovered through Wikipedia that "AIREP" is short for "aircraft report" or "air report," and is like a PIREP.

I see them among the list of PIREPs once in a while. Here are some actual examples from tonight:

ARP UAL408 4033N 08704W 0149 F370 MS57 239/074KT TB SMTH
ARP UAL186 4133N 08704W 0227 F370 TB LGT CHOP

How do we decode these things? UAL408 & UAL186-- flight numbers?? I can pick out latitude & longitude easy enough. What is F370-- altitude? And what is MS57?

Who makes these reports and why are they not just coded like a regular PIREP?

Thanks for the info everyone! I didn't know the data could be automated like that.

My ground school topic tonight is weather data so I will pass along these tidbits.

With ADS-B or other technology, and more GA aircraft having glass cockpits and air data computers, it shouldn't be too many more years before we are able to transmit automatic AIREPs too. This real-time data about the atmosphere, if obtained automatically and in bulk, would prove extremely valuable to NWS forecasters in refining their computer models for increased forecast accuracy.

Given that an AIREP from a GA airplane would be the same data as a PIREP from the same airplane, it might not be good enough for feeding weather models but should certainly be disseminated to other pilots

Back