Votes: 37 38.5%
  • The Disney Channel

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Adding weight to the panel

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • Navigation

Votes: 47 49.0%

• Total voters
Are there still airports where NDB is the only choice? I know that was the case about 10 years ago but I don't know about now.

The company I work for was big into NDB approaches when I first started, probably because a lot of the airplanes did not have GPS. In fact, it was specifically in our training authorization that we be both trained and tested on them which sometimes raised eyebrows with the training provider. Nowadays we will see one in training but not so much on the checkride.

There may be a few but they're disappearing fast. One near me just got a nice GPS approach in January.

At our company we train on NDB approaches every training cycle. We aren't required to because we operate Part 91. However, we decided that since that is the approach that we see the fewest of in the real world we like to make sure that we stay proficient at it. When you operate in North America you don't see too many of these approaches. Internationally speaking they are still out there in good numbers. Its much cheaper to buy and maintain than a VOR. Though in real world flying an NDB approach is no more than a GPS overlay anyways. It is nice to know that you still have the skills for when the box takes a dump though.

From what I remeber NDB only are probably rare inthe U.S. but still common in the Caribbean. Since I have two legal options at home ILS and NDB there is a VOR-DME/GPS but I have no DME and my GPS is handheld. The NDB is the only legal option if the ILS is OTS.

I'm curious- how does this work?

Very well! Thanks for asking!! :D

Seriously, though, I use the compass card... first landing - turn to 010 deg, 2nd landing - 020 deg, 3rd landing - 030 deg, etc.

I do this too; use the singles digit on the ADF tuner, not the ADF head.

Very well! Thanks for asking!! :D

Seriously, though, I use the compass card... first landing - turn to 010 deg, 2nd landing - 020 deg, 3rd landing - 030 deg, etc.

Got it....but I thought that's what the transponder was for...when you count above 7 go someplace else and practice...and increment the next digit over...:eek:

USED TI ALL THE TIME IN THE 60'S. NOW, JUST FOR MUSIC. ALTHOUGH, IF YOU HAVE A HOMETOWN RADIO STATION IT WILL GET YOU THERE.:sleep:

USED TI ALL THE TIME IN THE 60'S. NOW, JUST FOR MUSIC. ALTHOUGH, IF YOU HAVE A HOMETOWN RADIO STATION IT WILL GET YOU THERE.:sleep:
See what happens when you listen to music that is too loud? You go deaf and shout all the time :D:D:D:D

FYI, better to not use all caps, that is the Internet equivalent to shouting.

And welcome to PoA!! :cheerswine::cheerswine:

NDB approaches are bogus. I prefer shooting the MLS.:rolleyes:

NDB approaches are bogus. I prefer shooting the MLS.:rolleyes:
Major League Soccer?
images

MLS = Microwave Landing System

I love NDB approaches. Am I the only one? Probably...

Thank you Ted.

MLS was the last big FAA boondoggle, whereby the agency expends exorbitant sums of money to improve aviation, to little end, then cancels the program. Yay FAA!! Go Team!!!!

From what I remeber NDB only are probably rare inthe U.S. but still common in the Caribbean.

Lots of NDBs in Canada, too. The ground stations were cheaper than VOR and have much better range to cover the huge unpopulated areas we have here. When I learned to fly we often used AM broadcast stations; they were published on the charts of the day, but dropped about 12 or 15 years ago when GPS became much more common. Most were anywhere from 5000 watts up to 50,000 watts and you could pick them up from a long ways off, even in the mountains. Many small airports have nothing more than a circling NDB approach.

Dan

Hey, I try to be more than just a pretty face. ;)

Try harder:rofl:

The Aztruck can haul a lot of extra non needed stuff.
Listening to sporting events sounds like distracted flying to me.

Tell me more about the "Altitude Alerter" function.

Set the ADF when you receive an assigned altitude. E.g. "Maintain 7000 ft" Set Adf to 070. Bingo. Poor man's altitude alerter.

Back