What's a Contact Approach?

Where is that written?

in AIM 5-4-24.c. It's rather poorly written though.

c. A contact approach is an approach procedure that may be used by a pilot (with prior authorization from ATC) in lieu of conducting a standard or special IAP to an airport. It is not intended for use by a pilot on an IFR flight clearance to operate to an airport not having a published and functioning IAP.

Where is that written?

See subparagraph c.

ORDER JO 7110.65S Air Traffic Control

Chapter 7. VISUAL

Section 4. Approaches

7-4-6. CONTACT APPROACH

Clear an aircraft for a contact approach only if the following conditions are met:

a. The pilot has requested it.

NOTE-
When executing a contact approach, the pilot is responsible for maintaining the required flight visibility, cloud clearance, and terrain/obstruction clearance. Unless otherwise restricted, the pilot may find it necessary to descend, climb, and/or fly a circuitous route to the airport to maintain cloud clearance and/or terrain/obstruction clearance. It is not in any way intended that controllers will initiate or suggest a contact approach to a pilot.

b. The reported ground visibility is at least 1 statute mile.

c. A standard or special instrument approach procedure has been published and is functioning for the airport of intended landing.

d. Approved separation is applied between aircraft so cleared and other IFR or SVFR aircraft. When applying vertical separation, do not assign a fixed altitude but clear the aircraft at or below an altitude which is at least 1,000 feet below any IFR traffic but not below the minimum safe altitude prescribed in 14 CFR Section 91.119.

NOTE-
14 CFR Section 91.119 specifies the minimum safe altitude to be flown:
(a) Anywhere.
(b) Over congested areas.
(c) Other than congested areas. To provide for an emergency landing in the event of power failure and without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(d) Helicopters. May be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paras (b) and (c) above if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface.

e. An alternative clearance is issued when weather conditions are such that a contact approach may be impracticable.

PHRASEOLOGY-
CLEARED CONTACT APPROACH,

And if required,
AT OR BELOW (altitude) (routing).

IF NOT POSSIBLE, (alternative procedures), AND ADVISE.

What exactly is a "contact approach?" When and why would you request a contact approach? What's the difference between this and a regular visual approach?

Use it at airports where SVFR is not allowed.

Where I have used it was getting into KPDX (Portland) when the field was IFR and I was VFR, coming down the Columbia River.

Since SVFR is not allowed there, a "contact Approach" does the same thing. It's been several years since then, however, and PDX is much busier now. It would probably be more difficult to wrangle out a "contact" these days.

Another difference between "contact" and "visual" approaches......on a visual you have to have the field or followed aircraft in sight.

On a "contact" you don't have to have the field in sight.

Whenever you get into these things try to find where it came from. If my memory is correct the Contact Approach came out during the 40's. At that time many radio beacons were on the field and the approach to the field could be a long process and remember, they had VERY little radar.

I have tried to Google contact approaches and came up empty. Maybe someone knows where to find the history.

Use it at airports where SVFR is not allowed.

Where I have used it was getting into KPDX (Portland) when the field was IFR and I was VFR, coming down the Columbia River.

Since SVFR is not allowed there, a "contact Approach" does the same thing. It's been several years since then, however, and PDX is much busier now. It would probably be more difficult to wrangle out a "contact" these days.

I would suggest using a contact approach if capable even if SVFR exists.

It was suggested that a contact approach could be used to land at an airport with a published procedure (like a NDB ) but whose device is not currently working. Since you're able to navigate to the airport by some other method, and you can see your way to it, you can ask for a contact approach.
As an example, Marshfiled MA (GHG) has a NDB which no longer is operative. They also have two GPS approaches. I can find my way to the airport using 2 VORs (one is 30 miles north, the other is about 23 miles southeast). Marshfield has an NDB. Vis is a mile with a 1,500 foot ceiling. So would this be a valid "Contact"?
Personally, I'd use a sectional chart.

Fly safe!

David

Why, pray tell?

Other than if you're already on an IFR clearance, I can't think of a reason. Both sanitize the airspace, both require a call to ATC or FSS to cancel, both have the same weathr requirements, and neither provides any lateral or vertical guidance.

Other than if you're already on an IFR clearance, I can't think of a reason. Both sanitize the airspace, both require a call to ATC or FSS to cancel, both have the same weathr requirements, and neither provides any lateral or vertical guidance.

Exactly. Basically I meant if you're already on an IFR clearance it would be silly to cancel IFR and then request a SVFR clearance. a) you might not get it and b) if the weather tanks on you and you climb back up into the soup you'll be in the system and there will be less questions.

A contact approach doesn't sanitize the airspace like SVFR does because contact approaches are not limited to surface areas.

Wow, where've I been? I just noticed you all resurrected my own thread. Flattering :)

In order for it to be approved, there must be an approved IAP at that airport and reported weather must be ground visibility of one mile. If your AWOS isn't available to the controller, you're not likely to get it.

Even if those are met, the controller is not obligated to approve it as long as you're under IFR.

True, However, if there's no weather reporting at the airport, a contact may still be granted provided that the pilot has the 1 mile flight vis and is reasonably sure he will be able to complete the approach.

However, it won't work to get priority in front of everyone else on the ILS.... still a first come/first served basis.

It's very handy in many cases, however local knowledge of the area is strongly recommended.

True, However, if there's no weather reporting at the airport, a contact may still be granted provided that the pilot has the 1 mile flight vis and is reasonably sure he will be able to complete the approach.
The requirement for a controller to issue a contact approach clearance is a reported 1 mile ground visibility, not just pilot-reported flight vis. AIM 5-4-24b2. I know of no exception to that rule in the AIM or ATC Handbook.

If there's no weather reporting at the airport a contact approach is unavailable as the reported GROUND visibility must be at least 1 statute mile.

Last edited:
Back