What's a "Closed" Thread?

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
I see that the thread on "A new level of jerk-dom" is now "closed", meaning that we can no longer post or answer previous posts in that thread.

I don't think I've ever seen this before. Is this a deliberate action, taken by a wizard behind a curtain somewhere, or does closure happen automatically when a thread reaches a certain size?

If deliberate, I'd be fascinated to read the train of logic behind killing an active topic. The thread had remained (mostly) cordial, didn't tread on the forbidden political or religious topics, and was an on-going, legitimate aviation topic.

IMHO it was a semi-educational, entertaining thread that is sadly all-too-pertinent in today's GA world -- and there is still much to be chewed and digested there.

Maybe it was due to continued snide remarks?

Somebody on this forum must have reported the thread to the management council as objectionable in some way, Jay. They discuss it amongst themselves and then decide the action to take, if any. If you PM one of them, I'm sure they will explain the reason for the action.

IMHO it was a semi-educational, entertaining thread that is sadly all-too-pertinent in today's GA world -- and there is still much to be chewed and digested there.

While I thought your view that pilots are (or should be) candidates for saint-hood was naive (and said so in a mocking way) I didn't see why the thread couldn't be continued. We both came from r.a.p where that thread probably would have been considered mild. Not our call, though.

However, should this web site's "Management Council" continue to close threads without warning or explanation, then I'll head on back to Usenet r.a.p where I get to call the shots on what I get to read and post. Last I checked, no one was being forced to read or post to that thread. Why weren't those who were being offended stop reading or posting? Or contact the poster(s) directly with a flag of truce out and work their differences out as I would expect of anyone mature enough to fly?

The management council felt that the tone of the thread was not contributing positively to the community and decided that the best course of action was to close the thread. Sometimes all points have been made in a conversation and it's in everyone's best interest to let it go.

The management council felt that the tone of the thread was not contributing positively to the community and decided that the best course of action was to close the thread. Sometimes all points have been made in a conversation and it's in everyone's best interest to let it go.

That's not specific enough for me. (Besides, I still don't know the fate of the courtesy car.)

Did anyone complain about the thread?

That's not specific enough for me. (Besides, I still don't know the fate of the courtesy car.)

The management council doesn't usually see any particular thread as a problem to the community unless someone from the community expresses it as such. At least that was how it was explained to me.

And I would also like to hear about the fate of the courtesy car. How does the story end, Jay??

I'm with you, Jim. This unexplained, heavy-handed action is disappointing and out of character.

Many of us fled here to escape the concerted attacks of a few trolls over at rec.aviation. In the interim, this place has been a welcome respite from the tyranny of those few nasty people -- but if our fate is to instead be stricken down by unseen, unexplained censors, I'll happily be returning to the Wild West of Usenet.

The management council doesn't usually see any particular thread as a problem to the community unless someone from the community expresses it as such. At least that was how it was explained to me.

And I would also like to hear about the fate of the courtesy car. How does the story end, Jay??

I'll finish the story when the censors come out of the closet and explain their actions.

However, should this web site's "Management Council" continue to close threads without warning or explanation, then I'll head on back to Usenet r.a.p where I get to call the shots on what I get to read and post. Last I checked, no one was being forced to read or post to that thread. Why weren't those who were being offended stop reading or posting? Or contact the poster(s) directly with a flag of truce out and work their differences out as I would expect of anyone mature enough to fly?

Many of us fled here to escape the concerted attacks of a few trolls over at rec.aviation. In the interim, this place has been a welcome respite from the tyranny of those few nasty people -- but if our fate is to instead be stricken down by unseen, unexplained censors, I'll happily be returning to the Wild West of Usenet.

:dunno::dunno:So go back to usenet.

So, the MC has that power. It is their board not yours, mine nor anyone else's. Normally they state the reason for closure. Give them a little time and see if they post the why.

I'll finish the story when the censors come out of the closet and explain their actions.

The MC's stated the reason for their actions. If you think it's insufficient, nobody's holding a gun to your head demanding you stay around here (and I'm neither an MC member, nor do I know any of them personally).

Jay,

I'm sorry you disagree with our decision and I assure you it was made with the most honest of intentions. If you would like to discuss it further - I would gladly do so - (763)229 - nine three four one.

Jesse Angell
Pilots of America Management Council

Oh good grief -- those "unseen, unexplained censors" were doing you a favor.

Southerners have the best term for this sort of thing: "Hush."

Since the MC has effectively said "Hush" does that mean its members are southerners? No yankees? Is the south rising again!? :crazy:

It looked to me like the thread was dying of its own accord and any "community damage" (whatever that is - good luck finding a common definition) had reached its limit.

Oh good grief Jay, stop whining for attention and let it go. Dont feed the troll. and slamming the MC? thats just uncalled for. Period. End of Discussion. Dont like it, Leave.

Last edited:
MC - unpaid, unthanked.

They make the call, it's fine with me. I get what I pay for here. I'm surprised they all don't just throw their hands up in the air and say "F-it, I'm out of here!"

Where's that "train wreck" smiley I voted for?

Ah ha! Figured out how to do it.

TrainWreck1.gif

I know I'm new here and I don't generally post much, but I find this a well moderated board with good discussions. I thank the comment and moderators for keeping it that way

IMO, anybody who complains about internet board moderators doesn't have enough to do. I consider a shrug as the strongest appropriate response to whatever they think they need to do.

IMO, anybody who complains about internet board moderators doesn't have enough to do. I consider a shrug as the strongest appropriate response to whatever they think they need to do.

but Waaaayyyyne:

duty_calls.png

I'm not going to respond to each post individually, but I'm really surprised at the responses here. Don't ANY of you find it even remotely strange that our conversation was cut off literally mid-sentence, for no stated (or apparent) reason?

Last I checked, this is supposed to be a forum for conversations between pilots who are, by definition, adults. At no point did I find that thread offensive or disturbing -- and I was on the receiving end of much of it.

I don't know if (as Dan suggests) the moderators thought they were "doing me a favor" by cutting that thread off at the knees, but that's not even remotely the case. I've seen threads banished to the "Spin Zone" before, when they crossed some invisible line -- but I've never seen one summarily executed like this one.

Very strange, indeed. Very disappointing.

They're not trying to do anyone a "favor."

It looked like it might go down the toilet, and they have better things to do on a Friday night than referee an Internet pi##ing match.

Think about it. The board is free. The mods are volunteers. They actually have to spend (waste) a fair amount of time refereeing. Some days they're probably more in the mood to deal with it than others. So be it. We get what we pay for.

Write it off and walk away.

That's what I would do if I could just.......bring.........myself...........to..........logout. Must......................logout..................stop........................................with..........................................the.............arrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

and with that, I bid you all good night!!!:D:thumbsup:

Last I checked, this is supposed to be a forum for conversations between pilots who are, by definition, adults.

By definition I have several years before becoming an adult I am in Instrument Training.

Hey MC guys..

Thanks for trying to do the right thing...

This is the part that bothers me the most. How is killing the thread EVER the "right thing to do"?

Banish it to the Spin Zone if you must, edit/remove individual posts if you feel the need -- but killing a thread outright doesn't seem justified.

Interesting point. Who *is* paying the bills? I've never seen that information posted.
It has been. I've contributed about $2,060 out-of-pocket and recovered about $1,320 of that. We've taken contributions from members to cover some software and a new server a year or two ago. Rack space, bandwidth, and power is provided for free by a certain anonymous corporation.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28186

Adam and Spike have contributed a great deal of time to cover legal issues and to establish the non-profit that owns Pilots of America. The billable rate of that time greatly exceeds any contributions I've made.

Jay Honeck said:
I don't know if (as Dan suggests) the moderators thought they were "doing me a favor" by cutting that thread off at the knees, but that's not even remotely the case. I've seen threads banished to the "Spin Zone" before, when they crossed some invisible line -- but I've never seen one summarily executed like this one.

Threads have been closed over the years when the Management Council has decided that they are contributing negatively to our community and nothing positive is likely to come of it. We generally always contact the OP of the thread when this is done but since we all have full time jobs it doesn't always happen immediately. I'm sorry that you disagree with our actions but over the years I feel we've made some pretty good decisions that have built a great community. There is often a "larger picture" that is private and cannot be seen. I hope that you're able to accept our decision and continue to be a member of our community.

Jay Honeck said:
Banish it to the Spin Zone if you must, edit/remove individual posts if you feel the need -- but killing a thread outright doesn't seem justified.
There are times where the thread just needs to be closed. We don't edit posts and removing posts will often be interperted as biased moderation. Closing the entire thread down is balanced and was the action taken by the Management Council.

Last edited:
I'm not going to respond to each post individually, but I'm really surprised at the responses here. Don't ANY of you find it even remotely strange that our conversation was cut off literally mid-sentence, for no stated (or apparent) reason?

Last I checked, this is supposed to be a forum for conversations between pilots who are, by definition, adults. At no point did I find that thread offensive or disturbing -- and I was on the receiving end of much of it.

I just reviewed the last 3 pages of that thread and think I found the offending post, someone mentioned Bertie the Bunyip...

I just reviewed the last 3 pages of that thread and think I found the offending post, someone mentioned Bertie the Bunyip...

shhhhhh....Please do not mention He Who Must Not Be Named by name....

It has been. I've contributed about $2,060 out-of-pocket and recovered about $1,320 of that. We've taken contributions from members to cover some software and a new server a year or two ago. Rack space, bandwidth, and power is provided for free by a certain anonymous corporation.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28186

Adam and Spike have contributed a great deal of time to cover legal issues and to establish the non-profit that owns Pilots of America. The billable rate of that time greatly exceeds any contributions I've made.

Threads have been closed over the years when the Management Council has decided that they are contributing negatively to our community and nothing positive is likely to come of it. We generally always contact the OP of the thread when this is done but since we all have full time jobs it doesn't always happen immediately. I'm sorry that you disagree with our actions but over the years I feel we've made some pretty good decisions that have built a great community. There is often a "larger picture" that is private and cannot be seen. I hope that you're able to accept our decision and continue to be a member of our community.

There are times where the thread just needs to be closed. We don't edit posts and removing posts will often be interperted as biased moderation. Closing the entire thread down is balanced and was the action taken by the Management Council.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. You've got a tough row to hoe, as moderator.

(I still think you're effed in the head for closing the thread, but it's your sandbox.... :wink2:)

As for contributions, how does one kick in? Got a PayPal account?

Just curious: What are the ongoing expenses of this site? This user interface is a common, commercially-available one that is used on many chat boards -- so that explains your up-front costs. (I presume you had to purchase the software?)

As a reference point, my total expense for maintaining two, unlimited bandwidth commercial websites is $9.95/month... (I do my own HTML.)

See "Two Wheeled Texans" for an identical interface that incorporates paid advertising in an unobtrusive way. The ads help to defray your costs, and are actually quite valuable for users in a special-interest site (like motorcycles and airplanes).

shhhhhh....Please do not mention He Who Must Not Be Named by name....

Agreed. That's enough to kill ANY thread.

Although I've waded delicately back into rec.aviation this evening, and He Who Must Not Be Named has been no-where to be found. Maybe he is finally gone?

Back