Whatizit?

Keith Lane

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Keith Lane
Last week I visited the RCAF museum in Trenton, Ontario. Outside there was a light observation plane with a strange (to me) instrument in the panel. The large round one in the upper middle. The markings show "Left" and "Right".
Looks like a turn coordinator or something similar. Any thoughts???? Sorry for the poor quality due to faded plexi.

A memory aid for dyslexic pilots? :D

It looks to me like a first attempt at a turn coordinator or bank indicator.

Another guess is a radio something.

How would you like to do IFR with that as you AI?

WW2 era turn coordinator

Top part is slip/skid indicator (modern=ball)
Bottom part is rate of turn (modern=needle/airplane)

I think the numbers on the bottom are 3deg/sec each. Ex: Standard rate = 1. If you put it on 2 you have 6deg/sec.

It sure looks like an early British Turn and Bank indicator.

Wow just got to keep those needles in sync as you fly in the soup. At least it is big enough so you can't miss it.

John

Keith Lane said:
Here's a picture of the plane containing the instrument. Looks British to me too.

i believe this aircraft is an Auster which was a taylorcraft licence built in britain. it is the same airframe, but has a 4 cyl in-line cirrus engine instead of the lycoming O-145. here's at link with more info:

http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/auster.html

hope this helps!

blue skies,
vic & N522A

Keith;

The plane looks like one of the de Havilland Puss Moth versions. The closest one I could find to the picture that you have is the Leopard Moth.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

The engine looks like the Gypsy inline.

I have heard that is a great musuem.

John

John J said:
Keith;

The plane looks like one of the de Havilland Puss Moth versions. The closest one I could find to the picture that you have is the Leopard Moth.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

The engine looks like the Gypsy inline.

I have heard that is a great musuem.

John
John, It is a small but very packed museum. They have restored the only remaining Halifax (number 337) bomber in the world after recovering it from a fijord 10 years ago. It was forced to ditch there in 1945 (I think) after a supply drop. Sadly it is a display only restoration and will not be flowm. Even sadder, it was locked away during my visit after having it's final painting done recently. It will be unveiled to an invitaition only gathering in October before being put on permanent display.

http://www.rcafmuseum.on.ca/reconstructing337.htm
As to the light plane, I don't know what it is. It does have an inline engine, however. Here are a couple of more pics.
I did not know the Snowbirds demonstration team was preceeded by the "Golden Hawks".

Keith;

The pictures are so wonderful. Thank you for sharing. The condition of the Sabre Hurricane and Spitfire look like they could be filled with fuel and fired right up. I hope they can get the Halifax restored. Just over 30 years ago I got to see the British War Musuem and that is the only place I saw a Hurricane. They must have a lot of great planes there.

Vic;

I looked up the Auster and you are so right it is an Auster I-V. Some of these came with the Gypsy engines and some came with the Cirrus engines. The last one V model came with the Lycoming 0-290. They look so much like the DH Puss Moth line and share many of the same engines.

Thanks again

John J

Back