What writtens for the CFII?

BrianNC

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
BrianATL
I was looking at Sheppardair.com and see the FII (flight instructor instrument airplane), IGI (instrument ground instructor), and FOI (fundamentals of instructing). Are all 3 needed?

I also see the AGI (advanced ground instructor). Seems I remember reading somewhere that as far as the ground instructors go, that you you took one of them it took care of the other one, or something strange like that. That there was no need to do both if I recall (in)correctly.

Also, is the (C)FII an extra bank of questions in addition to what you need to know from the instrument rating written, or does it include what you would need to know from the IRA (instrument rating airplane).

Hopefully that wasn't too convoluted to understand. :D

If CFII is your initial instructor rating you’ll need FII AND FOI. IGI is basically the same question bank and allows you to get your ground instructor license.

If CFII is your initial instructor rating you’ll need FII AND FOI. IGI is basically the same question bank and allows you to get your ground instructor license.

Yeah, thinking about it as initial.

IGI is basically the same question bank and allows you to get your ground instructor license.

So does this mean you can pass the IGI without having to buy a study specifically for that?

So does this mean you can pass the IGI without having to buy a study specifically for that?
Yes. There is the potential for questions about helicopters or other flying creatures, but if you pass the FII with flying colors, you’ll do just fine. As an example, I got 1% less on my AGI than FIA because of a helicopter question I just guessed at.

The FII is basically the same question bank as the Instrument Airplane test, except their are only 50 questions instead of 60. It was a breeze!

For what its worth

FOI - Fundamentals of Instruction (Required for all CFIs)
FIA - Flight Instructor Airplane (CFI)
FII - Flight Instructor Instrument (CFII)

IGI includes helicopter questions, and some regs, specifically ceiling and vis requirements, are different. Should still be an easy pass if you’re spun up on your FII test.

I have yet to understand the logic of an additional written test the the ground instructor certificates for an applicant that passed the instructor exam within 24 months of the application.

I have yet to understand the logic of an additional written test the the ground instructor certificates for an applicant that passed the instructor exam within 24 months of the application.

One...money. Two, if you lose your medical and can't exercise FI privileges, you can still perform ground training.

Back