What would you like to see in a Aircraft Maintenance Tracker

Areeda

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Areeda
This is split from Felix's Flight Planner thread

How about one, ONE STINKING ONE, decent aircraft maintenance tracker? I cannot find a single one that does not cost more than an annual for my airplane!

Now THAT is a project I would like to see!

I've been toying with this idea too. Here is a description of what I'm thinking about.

What do you want to see in this kind of software?

Do you want it web based or stand-alone?

Joe

This is split from Felix's Flight Planner thread

I've been toying with this idea too. Here is a description of what I'm thinking about.

What do you want to see in this kind of software?

Joe
I don't own, but I'd think web based. That way, when you have a maintenance issue away from home base, the local mechanic can have access to all the pertinent data, since you probably won't have your plane log books with you.

Joe

Joe I read your design doc and like it! Here is what *I* would want:

I prefer locally installable as this is rather sensitive information and I prefer to keep it local.

The ability to conduct historic trends, such as how much oil I am using per hours of flight or the trend of my oil analysis.

Pop-ups for maintenance schedules.

Ability to track receipts.

Ability to enter items (perhaps even with a jpg) of all of my critical parts/components.

I have created a 10 tab spreadsheet that I use to track much of this, and while it gets the job done, it is cludgy.

Most of the big issues stem from the way entries were entered in the past, there isn't much you can do with that.

But we could do some training or the owners and wantabees.

such as which log does the oil change go in.

Does the airframe log require an entry if the engine is removed?

What should the prop log say if the engine is removed?

where does the AD compliance hide?

What is the proper verbage for an annual sign off?

What is the proper verbage for AD compliance.

Keeping good logs is no secret, it is just proper training, and it is the owners responsibility.

Last edited:
Joe,

Nice! I did a lot of work with land vehicle maintenance software a while back - will try to dig out my notes. This looks like a solid start. I'll be happy to help with some of the design review and testing. I haven't messed with java yet. Might have to break down and learn it.

Personally I'd prefer the system be stand-alone, though I can see if a partnership of flying club were using it they'd want it web-based.

Down the road, under "flights" I'd want to dump in the data from my engine analyzer, GPS, and F/ADC. But that's a big project in its own right.

Regards,
Joe

I see all the good arguments for and against web based models. It would be nice to offer both options but I'm not sure how to do that without a whole lot more work.

I'm leaning toward stand-alone as I am not willing risk sharing my maintenance data with unwanted parties.

I'm not sure what is meant by "pop up maintenance schedules". Are you referring to reminders when something comes due either by aircraft hours or calendar date? If so is it ok to only do this when the program is run or do you want to see a background task running all the time?

Tom brings up some good points. I really wasn't thinking of this as the official logs but now think "backup logs" is a possiblity and will add the capability of including scanned images of the log entries.

Joe - I have done some work with the Avidyne EMAX logs that get date/time hobbs, flight, airports landed, fuel burn in an exportable format. So this program will definetly be able to import that kind of data.

I had my first paying computer job in 1967 and have used a few languages and development environments since. I'm using NetBeans and Java right now and like it a lot. I'm thinking about making this an open-source development as soon as I get a working prototype. We'll see.

Joe

I see all the good arguments for and against web based models. It would be nice to offer both options but I'm not sure how to do that without a whole lot more work.

I'm leaning toward stand-alone as I am not willing risk sharing my maintenance data with unwanted parties.
Fair enough, and I certainly see the arguments against web-based. How about something that is at least portable and can run from a USB thumb drive attached to any computer so you can carry it with you? Go ahead and encrypt the data too, if you want!

I'm not sure what is meant by "pop up maintenance schedules". Are you referring to reminders when something comes due either by aircraft hours or calendar date? If so is it ok to only do this when the program is run or do you want to see a background task running all the time?

Tom brings up some good points. I really wasn't thinking of this as the official logs but now think "backup logs" is a possiblity and will add the capability of including scanned images of the log entries.

Joe - I have done some work with the Avidyne EMAX logs that get date/time hobbs, flight, airports landed, fuel burn in an exportable format. So this program will definetly be able to import that kind of data.

I had my first paying computer job in 1967 and have used a few languages and development environments since. I'm using NetBeans and Java right now and like it a lot. I'm thinking about making this an open-source development as soon as I get a working prototype. We'll see.

Joe

When the program is loaded would be fine, but if you want the ultimate, than yes a background process that runs whether the actual program is loaded or not would be the bestesses! :D

Fair enough, and I certainly see the arguments against web-based. How about something that is at least portable and can run from a USB thumb drive attached to any computer so you can carry it with you? Go ahead and encrypt the data too, if you want!
Oh, and I see the advantage of web-based also. I'm thinking about ways to have the DB available to multiple people and still keep it private. For example a partnership or flying club where multiple people need full access.

I'm resisting a design where the user needs to set up his own website with database software, that would solve this issue but would require more computer expertise than feasible. I want it ready to run right after the download.

When the program is loaded would be fine, but if you want the ultimate, than yes a background process that runs whether the actual program is loaded or not would be the bestesses! :D
I like the idea and I've thought of a couple of others ways this could be done. Including exports compatible with several calendar programs, or maybe the reminders go to the web and emails sent out when something needs to be done.

Joe

Last edited:
Oh, and I see the advantage of web-based also. I'm thinking about ways to have the DB available to multiple people and still keep it private. For example a partnership or flying club where multiple people need full access.

I'm resisting a design where the user needs to set up his own website with database software, that would solve this issue but would require more computer expertise than feasible. I want it ready to run right after the download.

I like the idea and I've thought of a couple of others ways this could be done. Including exports compatible with several calendar programs, or maybe the reminders go to the web and emails sent out when something needs to be done.

Joe
Maybe integration with something like Google Calendars?

Back