What would you like to have Martha and John King talk about?

Bob Roberts

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Roberts
Hi all, hope your having a great weekend!

I've got John and Martha King on the show in a few weeks and I thought it might be cool to have the questions come right from you all. What would be something you would want to hear them talk about?

Thanks,
Bob Roberts

The advantages of a going through the instrument rating training are obvious in making one a “better pilot”, even if you never use it.

What about commercial? Is there a bona fide “piloting improvement” to someone who pursues their commercial if they never intend to use it for hire?

What other ratings, endorsements, certificates are good to pursue in what order, even if the pilot never uses them again? Glider and tail wheel come to mind. Complex, multi? What should be the priority for a pilot looking to “improve” their single-engine VFR flying? Let’s use the word “improve” to equate to “broadening one’s skills for safety”.

The advantages of a going through the instrument rating training are obvious in making one a “better pilot”, even if you never use it.

What about commercial? Is there a bona fide “piloting improvement” to someone who pursues their commercial if they never intend to use it for hire?

What other ratings, endorsements, certificates are good to pursue in what order, even if the pilot never uses them again? Glider and tail wheel come to mind. Complex, multi? What should be the priority for a pilot looking to “improve” their single-engine VFR flying? Let’s use the word “improve” to equate to “broadening one’s skills for safety”.
Great question. I'll try to throw this on. If you have a first name, I'll use it when I ask the question. i.e. Next question comes from XXXX from the Pilots of America Forum.

Maybe something along the lines of expense to get certificated and expense to keep flying by either renting or buying a plane.

You can always have John tell the sick sack story. They're kind of a hoot. You pretty much just have to get them started on a subject and they'll be pretty entertaining. I ended up talking with John and Sully about Airbus safety one dinner and John and Martha hung out on my deck for a while telling me about the business.

Do they see a shift in the way student pilots learn today (particularly those 25 and below) compared to say boomers, and if so, what adjustments are they making in their materials, teaching approach or style, to address these differences? I know I learned very differently from how my children learned. All of my CFI’s were about the age of my adult children, and from time to their approach in teaching was confusing and incomplete. Being the video game/IPhone generation, some things come much easier for them, and they don’t understand us boomers process and learn information differently.

Great questions. I'm going to pick a top 10 so feel free to keep them coming if you have any and I'll post the ones I choose Friday Jan 8th. I'm doing the interview on Jan 21st.

Do they see a shift in the way student pilots learn today (particularly those 25 and below) compared to say boomers, and if so, what adjustments are they making in their materials, teaching approach or style, to address these differences? I know I learned very differently from how my children learned. All of my CFI’s were about the age of my adult children, and from time to their approach in teaching was confusing and incomplete. Being the video game/IPhone generation, some things come much easier for them, and they don’t understand us boomers process and learn information differently.
I really like this one. Thanks

You can always have John tell the sick sack story. They're kind of a hoot. You pretty much just have to get them started on a subject and they'll be pretty entertaining. I ended up talking with John and Sully about Airbus safety one dinner and John and Martha hung out on my deck for a while telling me about the business.
lol Who are you that one night you had John, Martha and Sully on your deck at the same time? Maybe I should be interviewing you :)

Maybe something along the lines of expense to get certificated and expense to keep flying by either renting or buying a plane.
This topic comes up a lot on our show. It would be interesting to get their take. For sake of conversation, the overwhelming thought amongst my other guests that I have talked to about this say that if you are going to put more than 100 hours *EDIT** Per year ** between training and flying that you should buy. Of course there is a lot of variables.

Last edited:
Which one of you look better in a Covid mask?

lol Who are you that one night you had John, Martha and Sully on your deck at the same time? Maybe I should be interviewing you :)
No, those were two different events, somewhat related. My wife used to work at the National Air and Space Museum. It was her idea to have a fly-in event at the museum (there is a taxiway between IAD and the Udvar-Hazy center that takes the management of the museum, the airport, TSA, FAA, and a lot of other bureaucracy to get open). After the fly-in, the pilots and volunteers were invited over to our house for a cookout. My job during this event was to lead a train of aircraft from the Landmark ramp down to the museum. I handled the communications as a flight of N aircraft (there are three different ground frequencies involved). I always put something distinctive as tail end charlie. One year it was John and Martha in the Falcon Jet. My other job was cooking the food for the cookout and John and Martha came and Jerrie Mock sat back drinking vodka-and-tonics until the wee hours (and was up and raring to go in the morning).

The other event was the one night we had to get cleaned up at Oshkosh every year. The Smithsonian hosted a heavy hitters dinner. For a long time we sat at the kiddie table (notably with Brent Blue and a few of the "kids" of the other heavy hitters). But we rose up in status over time. It was there I got to meet people like Clay Anderson, Carol Shelby, Baron Hilton, Jim Lovell, Sully, etc... The highlight of the evening was always when Bob Hoover arrived. Nobody else caused the entire room to hush when he walked in.

So anyhow, it's my wife you should interview. I was just along for the ride.

No, those were two different events, somewhat related. My wife used to work at the National Air and Space Museum. It was her idea to have a fly-in event at the museum (there is a taxiway between IAD and the Udvar-Hazy center that takes the management of the museum, the airport, TSA, FAA, and a lot of other bureaucracy to get open). After the fly-in, the pilots and volunteers were invited over to our house for a cookout. My job during this event was to lead a train of aircraft from the Landmark ramp down to the museum. I handled the communications as a flight of N aircraft (there are three different ground frequencies involved). I always put something distinctive as tail end charlie. One year it was John and Martha in the Falcon Jet. My other job was cooking the food for the cookout and John and Martha came and Jerrie Mock sat back drinking vodka-and-tonics until the wee hours (and was up and raring to go in the morning).

The other event was the one night we had to get cleaned up at Oshkosh every year. The Smithsonian hosted a heavy hitters dinner. For a long time we sat at the kiddie table (notably with Brent Blue and a few of the "kids" of the other heavy hitters). But we rose up in status over time. It was there I got to meet people like Clay Anderson, Carol Shelby, Baron Hilton, Jim Lovell, Sully, etc... The highlight of the evening was always when Bob Hoover arrived. Nobody else caused the entire room to hush when he walked in.

So anyhow, it's my wife you should interview. I was just along for the ride.
That is awesome. Thank you to you and your wife for setting those up. The Udvar-Hazy center is absolutely incredible.

What channel is that on? Not sure my roof antenna will pick it up.:cheerswine:
I'm not sure what the rules on self promotion are. So hopefully I don't offend the mods.
I run a pretty new YouTube channel called Aerospace Education Live. https://www.youtube.com/robertroberts
I work with CAP as a local Aerospace Education Officer. Because of COVID we had to close down in person lessons. So I started that Channel in April. Put a lot of the stuff we would teach on there to help the kids keep moving forward. The first video's (Maybe all of them :) ) are pretty bad as I was just starting to learn, but you have to start somewhere. Since then, I've been adding other content. I've started a Guest Interview ala podcast style weekly show and I'm going to start releasing pilot training video's pretty soon.
The biggest goal is just to interact with all of you in the community and see what little I can contribute to help.

Might ask the King's who their favorite You Tube instructor is (bedsides themselves of course) ...

“As creators of professional/quality flight training videos, do John & Martha King see cause for concern about the proliferation of public ‘youtube’ videos, some of which demonstrate unsafe, or illegal, or other inappropriate flight activity.”

That's a good follow up to the other question on are there any YT creators they like.

“As creators of professional/quality flight training videos, do John & Martha King see cause for concern about the proliferation of public ‘youtube’ videos, some of which demonstrate unsafe, or illegal, or other inappropriate flight activity.”
I like this, but if your ok with it, I want to change it slightly to keep it more positive and make them less likely to shy away from it. How would this sound?
** Having been involved with professional quality flight training videos for as long as you have, what advice would you have for the new content creators to help them create safe, legal and yet still engaging content?"

I'd like to hear their opinion on the future of GA interaction with UAVs and the airspace system, and how we can preserve the "simple" side of flying like Cubs, Taylorcrafts, Aeroncas, and Luscombes.

I'd like to hear their opinion on the future of GA interaction with UAVs and the airspace system, and how we can preserve the "simple" side of flying like Cubs, Taylorcrafts, Aeroncas, and Luscombes.
Great question. Thanks.

The story of John's medical might be interesting, along with any lessons learned. I saw he now has Basic Med.

The story of John's medical might be interesting, along with any lessons learned. I saw he now has Basic Med.
I didn't know that and ya that would be great. I'm having issues with that myself. Took a med for a really little thing, but turned out it was also used to treat seizures and it's on the no go list. Stopped taking, got note from doctor showing everything is good, but CAMI is soo far behind it's been 3+ months now waiting.....

Describe their worst flight his/hers or both and what they learned.

If they could go back and do it again what would they change.

Favorite planes (already mentioned).

Favorite period of aviation from when they started til now.

Who's better at crosswind landings

Back