What would you give up for flying?

What would you give up to keep flying

• I would give up my yearly vacation

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • I would give up going out to dinner

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • I would sell my unwanted possessions

Votes: 20 60.6%
  • I would quit paying rent, and I would eat only top ramen and live in my parents' basement

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters
I marked all four because that's the way I feel now. But that's not what I did in the past.

I hung up the flying for 8 years or so and put other stuff as the priority. Now I realize that was a mistake.

Not going to make that prioritization mistake again.

This thread is interesting.......:popcorn:

I sold my sailboat which I didn't use that much anyway. I can only afford one expensive hobby at a time.

I have a couple nice guitars that don't get played often, I have thought of putting them on the chopping block as well, and just keeping one or two that I play the most.

I don't go out to dinner as often and I don't go to bars unless I get dragged there by my girlfriend.

I got an aviation related part-time job that pays very well but I have to work weekends and weeknights. (this is in addition to my full time job) I am putting all that money towards my instrument rating.

Interesting question. Why do I fly in the first place? The primary motivation is to save travel time.

But what do I give up to fly? Time. Finances notwithstanding, it takes a lot of time to stay current, maintain the airplane, take flights for just fun, etc.... so instead of jumping in the car or motorcyle (or bicycle) on the weekends I'm screwing around with the airplane, if not flying it. On those occasions where I'm able to fly for work travel, I recoup a small fraction of of the total time spent.

Interesting question. Why do I fly in the first place? The primary motivation is to save travel time.

But what do I give up to fly? Time. Finances notwithstanding, it takes a lot of time to stay current, maintain the airplane, take flights for just fun, etc.... so instead of jumping in the car or motorcyle (or bicycle) on the weekends I'm screwing around with the airplane, if not flying it. On those occasions where I'm able to fly for work travel, I recoup a small fraction of of the total time spent.

+1
I can afford to fly and own a plane without sacraficing much in the way of personal luxuries (I would like a better or rather more capable plane, though). I guess that could change, but time is my biggest commodity and where I end up sacraficing one thing or another for aviation.

What I want out of it is to see if anyone else is as crazy as me . . . I now buy crappy groceries to fly more. Oh and I should get new tires (have to look at my tread) but I haven't. Stuff like that.

I wouldn't stop eating to fly, but according to most of you all I eat is crappy groceries.

If I only got one thing out of flying, I wouldn't do it. The thing that keeps me flying is the view. You get an unequaled view from a GA plane. I prefer the view from low and fast; I own a twin so I can feel warm and fuzzy about it and still do 3 miles a minute without pushing past 72%power LOP. Some of the views under major systems are pretty awesome. It's the most power you'll ever see; looking to lee at a rapidly rising, towering, CB.:cool2: That I can combine this with transportation is what allows me to justify it. That I have generous friends with hangars is what allows me to afford it.

I like the view too but I prefer low and slow. That's what I liked about learning to fly a helicopter, but if you want to talk about expensive hobbies... I could not justify it once I realized I was taking a different job path. I also liked that little bit of aerobatics I tried. I'm not that interested in travel, at least not where I could go in a small airplane. Maybe it's a bit of BTDT. Travel in other countries, yes, but that has nothing too do with GA and will need to wait until my job and/or personal situation is different.

When I first got my ticket, I was broke. I worked in newspapers, had two little kids, a new house, and a young wife to support -- so I sold my plasma to pay for flying.

I did that until one day I noticed a puddle on the floor under my couch during the donation process. The scary "clinic" employee had not hooked the tubes up properly, and all of my plasma had drained out onto the floor. Never went back after that... :lol:

What I want out of it is to see if anyone else is as crazy as me . . . I now buy crappy groceries to fly more. Oh and I should get new tires (have to look at my tread) but I haven't. Stuff like that.

I assume you're talking about car tires. I just thought I'd mention that last year my car's braking and maneuverability saved my life and that of my passenger when someone who was on the wrong side of the road came head-on at us. I was REALLY glad that I had recently replaced my worn out tires.

Back