What would you do?

Iceman

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
A few years ago when we were looking to buy a "like new" aircraft we looked at one that appeared to be in good condition and had most of the options we were looking for. However, after some hard digging on the plane we found out that it had massive hail damage on all the leading edges (prob around 50-70k of damage) we asked the big name dealer/broker about it and they lied about it said the plane was in perfect condition. The damage was covered up and the plane sold a few months later.

I seriously considered looking up the owner of the plane and letting him know what he had purchased. However, I decided it would make the owner unhappy with his new purchase and the brokerage might try to get even with me.

The reason I ask is the plane was put up for sale again a few months ago and I was just wondering what you would do...?

Tell us all about it so none of us buys it!

If the owner / seller still does not know about it, and were told now, he might still have recourse against the broker, based upon fraud.

Was this big broker in Arizona, by chance?

People are something else.Last year a guy i know sold his 206 and supposedly it was no damage history. The whole tail was replaced once and several other incidents i know of. The plane was always repaaired correctly using standard seams and by his mechanics and never entered in the logs. Shortly after it was sold,and i ran into the out of state buyer.He was bragging it up and claiming it was the cleanest 206 in exisitince.I felt like deflating his bubble,but figured it was none of my business. To boot ,the new owner was an faa employee. I always take no damage history advertisements with a grain of salt.I know lots of planes advertised ,that have been damaged but not represented that way.

Leave it be.

You really can get nailed on this. You walked from the deal - good on you - but it's up to the buyer and seller to work out issues. Caveat emptor.

Put it another way... suppose you were thinking about marrying some girl, but you found out she was cheating on you (and she denied it) so you called off the wedding. Later, you find out she's going to marry another guy. Would you call him and tell him???

wsuffa said:
Leave it be.

You really can get nailed on this. You walked from the deal - good on you - but it's up to the buyer and seller to work out issues. Caveat emptor.

Put it another way... suppose you were thinking about marrying some girl, but you found out she was cheating on you (and she denied it) so you called off the wedding. Later, you find out she's going to marry another guy. Would you call him and tell him???

Is this a hypothetical question? **whistles innocently**

N2212R said:
Is this a hypothetical question? **whistles innocently**

Maybe I should have said "after he got married?".... ***whistles and walks away***

wsuffa said:
Leave it be.

That's what I was thinking.

No the broker was not in az...

wsuffa said:
Maybe I should have said "after he got married?".... ***whistles and walks away***

Does an anonymous letter in the mail count?
**whistles Bridge on the River Kwai**

Problem is, what if the next buyer is your best friend, can you still 'stay out of it'? What if he is just an 'acquaintance that you respect'? A local pilot? A friend of a friend?
I hate messing in other peoples bidness too but I also hate to see anyone scammed. Its a tough call and a personal choice.

Seller must make full disclosure. Broker or agent does not have factual knowledge unless the seller blabs his mouth. Broker would've been smart to remain neutral WRT condition of property, ie, not make any representations such as 'perfect', 'like new', or other.

You wisely passed. I commend your for your ethics which compel you to want to say something but without substantial proof you are borrowing trouble if you do say something. Maybe the legal counselors here know the correct term but I think you'd be a meddlesome nuisance for which you could be liable.

If you really must say something, say it to the FSDO under condition of anonymity. Be prepared to provide factual documentations for your claims. Or perhaps you can take this tactic: call the FSDO, tell them there is an aircraft which you think should be grounded and tell them why (be brief), give them the tail number and let them take it from there.

If it were my friend I would limit myself to an informal statement such as, you should keep looking. Repeat as necessary. I certainly wouldn't say, don't buy that because....

Back