What would the NTSB say about this guy?

pikespeakmtnman

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
n/a
http://www.ourcoloradonews.com/news...cle_ecad06ae-6269-11e3-83c8-001a4bcf887a.html

From the article:
"When you get into the air, you get the intoxication of flying. No man can help feeling it. Then he begins to flirt with it, tilt his plane into all sorts of dangerous angles, dips and circles. This feeling is only the trap it sets for us... the non-mankilling airplane of the future will be created from our crushed bodies.”

Perhaps...

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident to be:
Structural failure for undetermined reasons.

http://www.ourcoloradonews.com/news...cle_ecad06ae-6269-11e3-83c8-001a4bcf887a.html

From the article:
"When you get into the air, you get the intoxication of flying. No man can help feeling it. Then he begins to flirt with it, tilt his plane into all sorts of dangerous angles, dips and circles. This feeling is only the trap it sets for us... the non-mankilling airplane of the future will be created from our crushed bodies.”

Jeezus. Without risk takers like that you would not have your tame (relatively) safe airplanes. You owe those people. We will never know what a cool future we miss for being a nation of pansies that have shamed and outlawed risk.

Jeezus. Without risk takers like that you would not have your tame (relatively) safe airplanes. You owe those people. We will never know what a cool future we miss for being a nation of pansies that have shamed and outlawed risk.

:yes:

This is why we are stuck with a certified fleet of 40 year old airplanes. We have over regulated ourselves into pansiehood.

I don't want to sound like I don't admire the risk takers of days gone by, including this guy. I agree that we owe a lot of innovations to them. The title of the thread was meant to be humorous.

I thought it was a cool story about a daredevil aviator who wasn't at all afraid of the risks.

:yes:

This is why we are stuck with a certified fleet of 40 year old airplanes. We have over regulated ourselves into pansiehood.

The reason you're stuck with 40 year old airplanes is that no one wants to pay for new ones. The new designs are out there, but they're expensive relative to what you can get used.

It's been my observation that the Feds will give you wide latitude if the only person you are endangering is yourself. If you want to take a second person who knows the risks along, they're fairly understanding. If you're potentially involving the general public, then you'll have to comply with regs. Look at the (lack of)rules for ultralights.

My goodness, folks were mad for bloody sport back then:

“Scarcely had Johnstone hit the ground before morbid men and women swarmed over the wreckage, fighting with each other for souvenirs. One of the broken wooden stays had gone almost through Johnstone’s body. Before doctors or police could reach the scene, one man had torn this splinter from the body and run away, carrying his trophy with the aviators blood still dripping from its ends. The crowd tore away the canvass from over the body, and even fought for the gloves that had protected Johnstone’s hands from the cold,” said the Savannah paper.

My goodness, folks were mad for bloody sport back then:

“Scarcely had Johnstone hit the ground before morbid men and women swarmed over the wreckage, fighting with each other for souvenirs. One of the broken wooden stays had gone almost through Johnstone’s body. Before doctors or police could reach the scene, one man had torn this splinter from the body and run away, carrying his trophy with the aviators blood still dripping from its ends. The crowd tore away the canvass from over the body, and even fought for the gloves that had protected Johnstone’s hands from the cold,” said the Savannah paper.
It's pretty much what people would do today if given half a chance. Most when they see something on the side of the road are too focused on getting to where they are going to stop and collect souvenirs, but they still stop to look!
We are a goulish society.

Or get in a good position to video instead of asking if anyone needs help.

:yeahthat:

I'm not afraid of taking risks. It's sitting in an NTSB hearing that I'm afraid of...

So wait....you don't mind risking your life but you do mind risking your certificate?

Risking your life is a relative thing. Violating the FAR's and dealing with an enforcement action is an absolute thing.

From certain point of view I agree. From the other point of view you don't have to get caught.

Disclaimer, not saying that you should violate the FARs.

Last edited:
Anytime you fly you take a risk,both physical ,and mental ,when it comes to the regs.

We are stuck with 40-50 year old airplanes because the wages needed to buy them have either been automated or shipped overseas. Also, try the price of a new bonanza, or even a new type super cub. Absurd.

Back