What would it cost

Whatever you budget for it + 50%.

The panel is Blue Mountain. They are TU and there is no support for their old equipment. Figure the panel is worthless.

For $45k you can buy a flying RV 6, and the resale market is much better.

Last edited:
The panel is Blue Mountain. They are TU and there is no support for their old equipment. Figure the panel is worthless.

For $45k you can buy a flying RV 6, and the resale market is much better.
That wasn't the question, plus the RV isn't as fast, and burns more fuel per mile.

In which case revise the answer to a long version and a short version.

Long: How can anybody possibly know the answer to that question within a range of $40,000 without an in-depth examination and understanding of all of the issues involved with taking over somebody's partially-built garage queen?

Short: Who cares?

;)

That wasn't the question, plus the RV isn't as fast, and burns more fuel per mile.

Looks to me like there are enough steam guages to put a panel together, the Blue Mountain stuff might be more trouble than it's worth. Firewall back will depend heavily on your engine choice.

If I were doing it, I could complete it for less than 10k more (but I wouldn't pay more than 10k total for what is there right now) and I am able to pinch a nickle until the buffalo bleeds.

If you can do everything yourself and you are an excellent scrounger, this would be a decent estimate. If you are going to turn it over to someone else to have done, the sky is the limit as to what they could charge you. I wouldn't be shocked to hear totals of 30-40k.

I have less than 12k total in my VariEze but keeping it cheap has added years to the build. My Glasair is going to end up being much more expensive, just because I'm not as patient.

As far as Ez vs RV... Love the way the RV flies but still don't see it as a match for the Ez (wow, first post and I'm going go get flamed mercilessly).

The general rule is that an unfinished homebuilt is "90% done, with 90% to go." So take the purchase price and multiply it by 100/90, then add another 90% of the result to itself. :D

Dan

As far as Ez vs RV... Love the way the RV flies but still don't see it as a match for the Ez (wow, first post and I'm going go get flamed mercilessly).
Probably not, two VERY different airplanes with different mission profiles

Oh and considering what you can pick up an EZ for I think the asking price is out-of-line

The asking price is just that, asking, have you ever entered into haggling with a low price and try to raise it?

I am an A&P-IA and do believe I can complete it with minimal labor costs. I probably have enough wire hose and stuff left over from other projects to finish this.

Superior is now selling kit engines for EXP aircraft built from their after market parts for much less than a factory prices.

I priced a materials kit from AS&S to built the fuselage at less than 10K. but if the airframe is really nicely built it is worth more than the materials, Yes? No?

It is pick up only so my travel expenses to get it home is another cost to be added to the end product.

I'm thinking
10-12k for the fuselage
25k for a new superior 0-360-A1A
5k to get it home.

that would bring it in around 50k

what did I forget?

Radio package/transponder? Interior costs, not sure what these have. Lights?

That within the last year you said you were done with these damn projects because you couldn't make any money in this hor**** market.

what did I forget?

That within the last year you said you were done with these damn projects because you couldn't make any money in this hor**** market.

It's habit forming, and this won't be for resale, beside what am I going to with all this junk I have ?

Don't forget the prop it doesn't have one of those.

Why does he think the thing is "roadable"?

It's habit forming, and this won't be for resale, beside what am I going to with all this junk I have ?

Cheaper to throw the junk away instead of buying an expensive project to get rid of it.

I know how you feel. I have "good" junk, too. It cost someone a lot of money at one time.

Dan

Back