What would happen if the DL medical bill passes and pilots get incapacitated?

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
Hello all. I am wondering what would happen if the drivers license medical bill passes and later on we have pilots being incapacitated at a high rate causing the GA medical incapacitation fatal accident rate to go up? Would it be likely that the DL medical bill for private pilots be taken away and go back to the 3rd class medical requirement? If so how fast can Congress or FAA revert back to the old 3rd class medical requirement? Would it be immediately reverted or would it take a few years?

Depending on the political climate either they take it in stride or we go back the way it was.

Why? Do you think it's likely? The truth is, that pilot incapacitation on LSA and gliders is not any more prevalent now than it is on pilots who presumably have third class medicals (or better). This generally indicates that either the third class is statistically spurious or a completely ineffectual screen. Either way, it bodes well to be rid of it for noncommercial operations.

Hell, if a politician put such restrictions on drivers of the scared-cow automobile, he'd be tarred and feathered, and run out on a rail.

What happens if a large number of PPL with medicals get incapacitated?

Figure out why, decided what to do, and maybe implement it. And maybe not.

I'm not actually worried if the medical incapacitation rate would go up for GA pilots. I am worried that if I put off flight training for a couple of years or decades and if this thing passes and FAA or Congress thought the bill was a bad idea and decided to revoke the law I may never get a chance to take advantage of the new bill because who knows if it passes it may be for a couple of years before congress or the FAA thinks it is a bad idea and revoke the law IF we see pilots falling out of the sky.

I just wish we could quit flying into bad wx, running out of fuel, showing off and stall/spinning our planes into the ground. I remember two died from O2 problems and two from heart attacks in the past few years. I think most pilots know when to call it quits or have a qualified pilot fly along as a backup plan. I think many pilots would go to the doctor more often if they were not so worried about losing their medical.

...I think many pilots would go to the doctor more often if they were not so worried about losing their medical.

I think there's probably some truth to that. Heck we might even end up with healthier pilots!

Hey guys. Sorry I don't think I made my question clear. My question is how fast can Congress or the FAA revert a regulation or law back to the law or regulation it was originally if we find the law compromises safety? Like if the slim chance if the drivers license medical bill passes and we have pilots fall out of the sky (assume for a minute that this happens) later on after the law or FAR passes. How fast can Congress or the FAA reverts back to the 3rd class medical for PPL again? Would there have to be an NPRM or another bill to revert the law or is the DL medical bill immediately reverted?

No offense KT but one step at a time. They can't take away something we haven't even got yet. There is no answer for your question really but I would think that it would require some very profound evidence for lawmakers to turn around and admit they had been wrong about something. In other words I don't think there's much chance of it. At least not unless it was some extremely contentious partisan issue.

Part of the current language of the bills in Congress mandates the FAA to study the effects of doing away with the 3rd class medical for VFR pilots for 5 years and then reporting back to Congress. My guess is, if the report demonstrates a significant increase in problems, the legislation might be quickly reversed, especially if the media decides to sensationalize the results.

Hey guys. Sorry I don't think I made my question clear. My question is how fast can Congress or the FAA revert a regulation or law back to the law or regulation it was originally if we find the law compromises safety?
More than one day. Less than 6 months.

But, given that there is no statistically significant data that shows the accident rate has changed in LSAs due to medical issues after nearly 9 years, I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Hello all. I am wondering what would happen if the drivers license medical bill passes and later on we have pilots being incapacitated...?
I would hazard a guess that they will either crash or a passenger will take over and guide to some kind of controlled impact before running out of fuel

I'm not actually worried if the medical incapacitation rate would go up for GA pilots. I am worried that if I put off flight training for a couple of years or decades and if this thing passes and FAA or Congress thought the bill was a bad idea and decided to revoke the law I may never get a chance to take advantage of the new bill because who knows if it passes it may be for a couple of years before congress or the FAA thinks it is a bad idea and revoke the law IF we see pilots falling out of the sky.

What? :dunno:

It'll take a while for Congress to do anything, as usual. The more press, the less time.

But I'm not understanding why you'd put off flight training? If you can't get a medical, get started on sport pilot training in an LSA today, with a fully rated CFI (not a CFI-SP), and all of your training will count towards your Private later on should the DL medical bill pass. Later on, if the bill is overturned, you can simply go back to flying LSA's.

Future time orientation is to be commended, an abundance of it is what built Western civilization. But there comes a time to just do what you want to. Now or never. Go sport if you have, fly gliders, jump out of airplanes, whatever. The perfect time is created by you, not forecast, and not delivered by the Easter bunny.

I'm guessing the subject aircraft would most likely eventually crash into the Indian Ocean. But for weeks prior to it's being found IDIOTS would speculate that it had joined up with another aircraft for nefarious purposes.

How long did it take Congress to pass a law after the Buffalo crash, and how long for the FAA to implement it in regulation? Don't worry, Congress will probably pass something requiring every aircraft to have a flight surgeon on board! Don't worry about that now. Just do as Kent suggested above!

Hello all. I am wondering what would happen if the drivers license medical bill passes and later on we have pilots being incapacitated at a high rate causing the GA medical incapacitation fatal accident rate to go up?

What would happen if space aliens start snatching 777s and hiding them in black holes? ....... Oh, was this supposed to be a serious question? :goofy:

You need to stop asking hypothetical questions. First they need to pass the law allowing pilots to fly without medicals. Then we'll see.

Also, the sport pilots don't need medicals NOW. Neither do glider pilots. Nor do private pilots if they fly Light Sport aircraft. At least that is the way I understand it. There must not be a rash of accidents or the FAA wouldn't be supporting the change. (at least that is what "Flying" magazine reported, the part about the FAA supporting the law).

There must not be a rash of accidents or the FAA wouldn't be supporting the change. (at least that is what "Flying" magazine reported, the part about the FAA supporting the law).
Which issue is that in?

Hey guys. Sorry I don't think I made my question clear. My question is how fast can Congress or the FAA revert a regulation or law back to the law or regulation it was originally if we find the law compromises safety? Like if the slim chance if the drivers license medical bill passes and we have pilots fall out of the sky (assume for a minute that this happens) later on after the law or FAR passes. How fast can Congress or the FAA reverts back to the 3rd class medical for PPL again? Would there have to be an NPRM or another bill to revert the law or is the DL medical bill immediately reverted?
As quickly as they want to. They can change rules and laws in just a minute or two if they're so inclined. But they are seldom inclined to do so.
They'd rather sit back and vote themselves raises, and modify bills so that they (congress critters) aren't affected by them.

Back