what would generate....

That is caused by a bunch of drunk guys at a flyin looking up to the sky.

Spin the image 180 deg. and it looks a lot like my hair.

I've heard them described as "Mare's tails". My understanding is high winds aloft cause the shape but I don't pretend to understand the dynamics. After all, high winds also create other shapes. Maybe Scott M. can provide more information.

While I appreciate the vote of confidence in my unearned ability to explain weather phenomenon, I am but an amateur. Scott D. would be a far better choice as he is truly an expert.
D'OH! I did notice your contribution supporting the chemtrail hypotheses.

I meant Scott D.:redface:

Hi Ed,
I'm pretty sure those are called mare's tails - Sailors see those and predict that weather will turn nasty in about 2 days. I have watched for that and sure enough it seems to work out. Have no clue why they look like that..
Scott D?? Where are you??
J

Yeah, I looked again and they don't really look like mare's tails afterall.... those have a different form - pointy at one side and foofing out towards the back... just like a horse's tail, oddly enough

Hi Scott, What are the kinds of clouds that are referred to as : fish scales?

Curious,
J

Waves.

Basically, the atmosphere is layers of air. Each layer has different density and composition, vector, and variance within the layer.

When a layer flows down or over some sort of ridge, it builds a little bit of vacuum, which pulls it down, and then it "bounces" off of the ground and goes back up.

So, for those clouds, a wave bounced back up and had JUST barely enough moisture at the interface to condense into thin, wispy streaks.

The bounce here could have been from a mountain ridge 200 miles away, or any combination of other factors.

I've heard them described as "Mare's tails". My understanding is high winds aloft cause the shape but I don't pretend to understand the dynamics. After all, high winds also create other shapes. Maybe Scott M. can provide more information.

Which means bad weather in about 3 days.

Thank you Scott D. This makes it clearer to me (the concept, not the clouds)

Many thanks Scott, gotta respect a man (or woman) who knows his (or her) craft.

Back