What would be the perfect flying show?

One with me in the back pit of a blue-and-yellow F/A-18B with the number 4 on the tail -- all season long, from training to the last demo of the year.

They'll find some guy who knows what the's doing and dress him up in white.

Some say that he flew a Spitifre...

And that the first words when he was a baby was "TAKKA TAKKA TAKKA TAKKA!"*

*Battle of Britain film reference

One with me in the back pit of a blue-and-yellow F/A-18B with the number 4 on the tail -- all season long, from training to the last demo of the year.

Actually, you featured in a segment for The Aviators talking about PIC and their IFR training program.

Get Harrison Ford to do a flying show. I read somewhere that he prefers to be known as a pilot than as an actor... ;)

Add Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman for narrations.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I like the idea of a show on celebrities who fly. I think it would be good for GA. Alton Brown (Food Network) promotes GA on twitter semi-regularly.

iPad autocorrect...sigh...

I was trying to say... Have Anthony do a feature on you and PIC as an instrument training opportunity.

The best aviation show is out the front window of the airplane. ;)

Untitled.jpg

A "reality show" about a married couple flying their homebuilt airplane around the world. Part of the show would be the flight (prep, situations that arise while flying) and landing at a completely new place. The rest would be about visiting and touring the city/town they land in with things to do and see there. A travel show where you get from town A to town B via GA until they go all the way around the world.

During some episodes there can be "flash-backs" to different things. The building of the airplane, how the pilot(s) got the training/experience, situations about their lives, issues affecting GA where they land, etc.

PS: That is what my wife and I hope to do once I retire sometime after 2015.

Last edited:
Trying to follow, but not sure I do...

Ron does a lot of instrument training through Professeional Instrument Courses (PIC, www.iflyifr.com). Both Ron and PIC get lots of positive feedback on the various boards.

What we're discussing is a feature on PIC as one of the ways pilots can get their IFR ticket and use Ron and a student as the subjects of the segment.

Ron does a lot of instrument training through Professeional Instrument Courses (PIC, www.iflyifr.com). Both Ron and PIC get lots of positive feedback on the various boards.

What we're discussing is a feature on PIC as one of the ways pilots can get their IFR ticket and use Ron and a student as the subjects of the segment.

Got it! We've wanted to break down how an approach works and this could be a good fit for something like that. We do a lot of work with a number of companies. This could be an opportunity for PIC and The Aviators to work together.

Instead of some stupid show in which some tattoed guy and his 3 sons send away for 'chopper ' parts, assemble them and have them painted, while they all argue and struggle for control of the project, how about a real story of a vintage airplane discovery, through restoration; like, say the Hughes H-3, or the Boeing Stratocruiser. Or a Mars flying boat, converted to a borate bomber, or a couple of guys find a Cub in a barn, or a Stinson Gullwing or Beech staggerwing, or watch somebody scrounge up all the materiels to build a Pitts. Might just drum up some much needed enthusiasm for not just GA, but also the skilled craftsmen who are behind the restorations/rebuilds. Or, follow along as we see an R-2800 CB16 or Rolls Merlin assembled, or, a human interest story of a person struggling to get his or her solo or some certificate or rating.

I just watched The Aviators yesterday. I thought it was pretty cool. I'd really like it if they had more shots of just the plane doing its thing - starting engines, runup, etc. But, that's just me. I like to hear planes starting up.

Get Harrison Ford to do a flying show. I read somewhere that he prefers to be known as a pilot than as an actor... ;)

That might be just the ticket! I expect that a lot of non pilots would tune in for that one, making it have enough audience to sell enough advertising.

If Harrison really DOES like being called a pilot and really IS the proponent of GA that he claims to be, you would think he would buy in on it. Problem would be whether or not he demands $10 Million per episode.

Tame Racing Pilot...

"Some say his skin has the texture of a dolphin's, and that wherever you are in the world, if you tune your radio to 118.1, you can actually hear his thoughts... all we know is, he's called the Henning."

Yeah, but then if anyone found out his real name, he'd have to be fired.

Some of the stuff they did with cars qualified as really stupid. If they tried some of that with aircraft, they wouldn't survive. Like, see just how much abuse a Toyota pickup can take and keep running. Drive an SUV up a volcano such that the tires light on fire. Drive with bad cooling or charging systems (always!).

Yeah, I could see those guys painting offensive slogans like "Hillary for President" on their aircraft and then landing on an Alabama back road....

good thing someone mentioned 'Hurricane Hunters' - now that FWA is done, it's the only aviation show I enjoy.

I just watched The Aviators yesterday. I thought it was pretty cool. I'd really like it if they had more shots of just the plane doing its thing - starting engines, runup, etc. But, that's just me. I like to hear planes starting up.

That reminds me about what I saw on Flying Wild Alaska. I hate how they show landings. They always show about 2-4 different cameras recording the landing, but never show it to you from one for very long. So you don't see the touch down sometimes or the braking.

just checked, not seeing it -- it's on the weather channel.

We actually have a "Start up and Run up" segment coming up in season 3 coincidentally. And LOTS more airplanes doing plane-stuff!

Back