what will it cost

Right, the problem always is when you can't buy a plane with the gear you want. After flying in Av Shiloh's Comanche for a few years (actually the first time I flew it with the G-600, I knew I would never again own and operate a plane without this technology, it would be negligent. In order to buy a light twin with the equipment in it would have cost $800,000+, instead I have about 1/10 of that invested in a plane that does the same job by taking an excellent plane with an older panel and putting a new panel in it. You can't get into a glass panel twin cheaper than I got in mine, can't do it because there are none for sale. People tried to, but guess what? They couldn't because I wouldn't sell, now I won't sell for less than $250k again, don't want or need to, I'll have an amphib soon enough.

But what you have to realize is that the younger generation is learning to fly with glass panels from hour-one. Anything you own has to be upgraded to account for that. An older 310 like you have has a lot of utility. For now. On the other hand, the pool of people that are willing to buy an older 310 without 5 video screens becomes smaller every day. The best we can do is to form Captain Henning's Aircraft Salvage, LLC. You bid for them, I'll haul them home and drill out the rivets so we can eBay the parts. Sad, but that's how it is.

But what you have to realize is that the younger generation is learning to fly with glass panels from hour-one. Anything you own has to be upgraded to account for that. An older 310 like you have has a lot of utility. For now. On the other hand, the pool of people that are willing to buy an older 310 without 5 video screens becomes smaller every day. The best we can do is to form Captain Henning's Aircraft Salvage, LLC. You bid for them, I'll haul them home and drill out the rivets so we can eBay the parts. Sad, but that's how it is.

I have 3 screens right now and I'll have a few more before I'm done. I don't buy airplanes to make a profit, I buy airplanes to use their ability.

I have 3 screens right now and I'll have a few more before I'm done. I don't buy airplanes to make a profit, I buy airplanes to use their ability.

Hey, that's great. Most of the 310s I've seen in the last couple of years are suffering from ramp rot. I like the old Sky King versions that have the Tuna Tanks.

Do you see any parallel between building fro scratch, and restoring, you are still going to end up with an aircraft that won't sell for what you have invested.
I would neither build nor restore anything specifically for resale, unless I planned to make a business of it.

I have far more time and money invested in my scooter than it would sell for. That's completely immaterial; it's not for sale while I'm alive. If I build a plane, I'm building it for me, not for some possible future owner. If I were to restore one, it would be for me, not for some imagined future owner. And if I were planning to restore an old classic in hopes of reselling it at a nice fat profit, that particular plane wouldn't be a candidate I'd look at seriously.

I do see the point that I think you're trying to make, but I don't see how it's relevant.

I would neither build nor restore anything specifically for resale, unless I planned to make a business of it.

I have far more time and money invested in my scooter than it would sell for. That's completely immaterial; it's not for sale while I'm alive. If I build a plane, I'm building it for me, not for some possible future owner. If I were to restore one, it would be for me, not for some imagined future owner. And if I were planning to restore an old classic in hopes of reselling it at a nice fat profit, that particular plane wouldn't be a candidate I'd look at seriously.

I do see the point that I think you're trying to make, but I don't see how it's relevant.

Give up, I've been trying to explain that for years to no avail, resale price is only relevant to dealers. If the machine fits your mission and budget, if you intend to keep it what you pay is largely irrelevant and often the lower the price into the game, the higher the totals by year 5. Buying a high quality machine excellent condition machine is always cheaper in the long run than buying the cheaper, lower quality one. If you aren't selling within market cycle, the resale values are completely erroneous to the acquisition price.

PHP:
Give up, I've been trying to explain that for years to no avail, resale price is only relevant to dealers.

Were the other broke sailors at the union hall duly impressed with your economic prowess?

If the machine fits your mission and budget, if you intend to keep it what you pay is largely irrelevant and often the lower the price into the game, the higher the totals by year 5.

Posted by the guy who obviously learned nothing after sitting on one for a year.

Buying a high quality machine excellent condition machine is always cheaper in the long run than buying the cheaper, lower quality one.

Defined how?
If you aren't selling within market cycle, the resale values are completely erroneous to the acquisition price.

Yeah, right.

No broke sailors at the hall, everybody is working as oil is flowing and moving at a prodigious rate and every MSC ship is working with needed extra capacity being tendered for contract. War is great for the oil business, and a large sector of the shipping business is oil.

So, please explain the relevance of resale market to a plane that is not on the market?

Why the hell is he asking $24k for it?

Have you ever tried to start a negotiations by starting low?
A couple of times, but never on purpose. :) When the buyer jumps at your asking price, you know you started too low.

There is no such thing as "too low". They can act all offended or whatever they want to do, but that's their loss. Start at $1.

Back