what will it cost

I have no idea, Tom. You would know better than me, but it seems like at $24,500, you would have more in in than it is worth, just putting it together and flying it as it is.

If the engine hasn't been run since 1999, my guess would be higher, say 45k-50k for an overhauled engine and prop, with hoses and accessories. Up to 15k for new hoses, cables, tires, windows. New panel with up to date new stuff 50k.

I think that's a project for which you are paying $1,000 for a dataplate.

Is "who would possibly care and why would it matter" be an acceptable answer?

I have no idea, Tom. You would know better than me, but it seems like at $24,500, you would have more in in than it is worth, just putting it together and flying it as it is.

I think it would cost me $10,000 to get it home
$15,000 paint, $5,000 new windows, $5,000 new interior, $20,000 engine overhaul/up grade to the 0-470-50, then another $15,000 for a big screen GPS.

This reminds me of some one who wants to build an aircraft from scratch. You could start with this 182 as a kit.

If the engine hasn't been run since 1999, my guess would be higher, say 45k-50k for an overhauled engine and prop, with hoses and accessories. Up to 15k for new hoses, cables, tires, windows. New panel with up to date new stuff 50k.

That's an old wives tale, many engines set that long with no problems after starting and running the first 50 hours will tell. remember that isa 0-470 continental, they do not have the cam corrosion problems that the Lycoming engines do.

Not to me, but it was presented as a survey so I responded with the most logical and economically viable answer.

does it really matter ?

Far, far more than I'd be willing to put into it. If it's been sitting disassembled for that long and the last annual was in 1999, I would bet on a complete overhaul of the engine and prop. Anything rubber will need replacing. The interior is probably a mess and likely smells like the underside of old carpet. It will need paint. I wouldn't trust anything that I can't see to be corrosion free. And the kicker... there's a reason someone decided to stop flying it, take it apart and shove it into a hangar 23 years ago. Wonder what that reason was, and how long will it take you to find is?

In other words, it will probably cost the sum total of what it would have cost to fly it for the past 23 years.

You could start with this 182 as a kit.
Sure.. just a kit with some very, very severe limitations on how it can be put back together and maintained.

Far, far more than I'd be willing to put into it. If it's been sitting disassembled for that long and the last annual was in 1999, I would bet on a complete overhaul of the engine and prop. Anything rubber will need replacing. The interior is probably a mess and likely smells like the underside of old carpet. It will need paint. I wouldn't trust anything that I can't see to be corrosion free. And the kicker... there's a reason someone decided to stop flying it, take it apart and shove it into a hangar 23 years ago. Wonder what that reason was, and how long will it take you to find is?
In other words, it will probably cost the sum total of what it would have cost to fly it for the past 23 years.

In order to restore this aircraft, it will require you buy the same stuff as building one from scratch

In order to restore this aircraft, it will require you buy the same stuff as building one from scratch
It will require you to buy or repair/restore very specific things, some of them quite old.

Look, far be ot from me to discourage anyone from taking in a resto project. I've done one that made absolutely no sense to anyone but me -- a complete rusted-out shell of a '55 Vespa scooter that had been stored outdoors from 1968 until I got it in 2004. No one in their right mind would have done anything with that scrap pile other than junk it. But that particular poor little thing had been the object of my lust since I was about five years old. My uncle bought it new, and fifty-some years later I finally got to ride it by myself.

I'd never say "Don't try to restore that classic old Skylane". I'm saying "I sure as heck wouldn't try to restore that classic old Skylane". If you want to end up with a $100K '59 Skylane that's your pride and joy, knock yourself out and enjoy every minute of it.

It will require you to buy or repair/restore very specific things, some of them quite old.

Look, far be ot from me to discourage anyone from taking in a resto project. I've done one that made absolutely no sense to anyone but me -- a complete rusted-out shell of a '55 Vespa scooter that had been stored outdoors from 1968 until I got it in 2004. No one in their right mind would have done anything with that scrap pile other than junk it. But that particular poor little thing had been the object of my lust since I was about five years old. My uncle bought it new, and fifty-some years later I finally got to ride it by myself.

I'd never say "Don't try to restore that classic old Skylane". I'm saying "I sure as heck wouldn't try to restore that classic old Skylane". If you want to end up with a $100K '59 Skylane that's your pride and joy, knock yourself out and enjoy every minute of it.

Do you see any parallel between building fro scratch, and restoring, you are still going to end up with an aircraft that won't sell for what you have invested.

Update... New paint, $10k, new interior, $8500, glass $5k, IRAN engine $12k, prop $5k, full 2 sided glass panel, $75k. So figure all in it'll be $120k to put together a machine that compares up against a modern 182. Of course it's only a good deal if you're gonna keep it forever.

And time demands are even more significant for Dale to consider with his home-based part-time business.
Do you see any parallel between building fro scratch, and restoring, you are still going to end up with an aircraft that won't sell for what you have invested.

Your/my cost or that of a non A&P IA?
Don't think I could turn a profit on it, but I imagine you or I could make a nice plane out of it with out loosing shirts either.

You know the more I look at the pictures the less bad it looks.

Polish it up, put it together, IRAN the engine, fly/sell

I'm willing to bet that a better and much more predictable deal could be made on one that's currently flying.

You know the more I look at the pictures the less bad it looks.

Polish it up, put it together, IRAN the engine, fly/sell

I'm willing to bet that a better and much more predictable deal could be made on one that's currently flying.

I'm willing to bet you are right, but I don't think that this plane is garbage either.

I think $24.5k is a tad high for an asking price. But the airplane has to it's advantage updated flight instruments.

I would expect to invest another (+/- $1k-$2k) about $10k just to get it together, and running, there may be another several AMUs to get it flying. I can go out and get a similar '59 182 for $40k without having to put it together, and it flies regularly. With a nicer paintjob.

Attachments

• Colorado 006 [800x600].jpg
    Colorado 006 [800x600].jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I think $24.5k is a tad high for an asking price. But the airplane has to it's advantage updated flight instruments.

I would expect to invest another (+/- $1k-$2k) about $10k just to get it together, and running, there may be another several AMUs to get it flying. I can go out and get a similar '59 182 for $40k without having to put it together, and it flies regularly.

I'd say it's worth buying around $9k

If it's not the best deal available, what it is (or isn't) is irrelevant if you're only looking for one airplane. If you're trying to buy a fleet, it might be different.
I'm willing to bet you are right, but I don't think that this plane is garbage either.

Me too, it's a winner at that price. Even up to 15 depending on the paint and glass.

Odds are I could beat the cost of a flying airplane even at the 24k price tag, but that puts no value on my time and one SNAFU and look out!

Oopsies are hell. That's why the queen is a non-starter.

Me too, it's a winner at that price. Even up to 15 depending on the paint and glass.

Odds are I could beat the cost of a flying airplane even at the 24k price tag, but that puts no value on my time and one SNAFU and look out!

Project planes I look at the value of the major component cores and bid that.

a little survey, what do you believe it will cost to up date and return to service this 182?

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/Single+Engine+Piston/1959/Cessna/182B+Skylane/1393591.html

About what it cost me to rebuild the 182A that is the pride and joy of my life right now. Except it was in about the same shape and only cost me $6500 to buy. $25K for this piece of s#!% is about a factor of three or four high.

$25,000 all told. Here is what it looks like at Oshkosh '12. The inside is better looking than the outside with all new panel and the like.

Attachments

• Snapshot - 2s.jpg
    Snapshot - 2s.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 26
The main factor evey body should get from all these restoration, rebuild, home built, threads is one simple fact.

You can't build or restore any aircraft for less than you can buy one for the same money, But you can build the one you want.

Neither is Wentworth. What would they pay for it?

They would probably give about $15-$20k for it. They have the resources to sit on the parts untill they sell.

The sum of the parts being worth way more than the whole.

I try to bid top dollar on salvage aircraft at the auctions, and am constantly out bid by the big salvage yards. They can afford to pay more, and sit on it untill it's sold off in parts. (what they do for a living)

Our experience as well. Even when you think you have an inside track, the big yards are tough to beat.

They would probably give about $15-$20k for it. They have the resources to sit on the parts untill they sell.

The sum of the parts being worth way more than the whole.

I try to bid top dollar on salvage aircraft at the auctions, and am constantly out bid by the big salvage yards. They can afford to pay more, and sit on it untill it's sold off in parts. (what they do for a living)

The main factor evey body should get from all these restoration, rebuild, home built, threads is one simple fact.

You can't build or restore any aircraft for less than you can buy one for the same money, But you can build the one you want.

Exactly, if I wanted to spend big money on a 182 and didn't mind waiting to have it buying the one you posted could be a really good option

a little survey, what do you believe it will cost to up date and return to service this 182?

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/Single+Engine+Piston/1959/Cessna/182B+Skylane/1393591.html

I wouldn't even consider it unless it was close and I could take a good look at it. Even then, I'd value it at what I thought I could get by parting it out and deduct 50% to be safe. I've done that with old cars and still ended up on the losing side. Maybe with an aircraft deducting 75 or 80% would be smarter.

Right, the problem always is when you can't buy a plane with the gear you want. After flying in Av Shiloh's Comanche for a few years (actually the first time I flew it with the G-600, I knew I would never again own and operate a plane without this technology, it would be negligent. In order to buy a light twin with the equipment in it would have cost $800,000+, instead I have about 1/10 of that invested in a plane that does the same job by taking an excellent plane with an older panel and putting a new panel in it. You can't get into a glass panel twin cheaper than I got in mine, can't do it because there are none for sale. People tried to, but guess what? They couldn't because I wouldn't sell, now I won't sell for less than $250k again, don't want or need to, I'll have an amphib soon enough.

Back