What was new at OSH 2010?

Lots of airplanes have auto-descent features, and descend to 15k' before level-off. That's if the a/p is engaged when the presumed cabin pressure failure occurs.

Read today about the new Cirrus "feature" that automatically descends the aircraft in steps down to 12.5K if the system deems the pilot has become non-responsive. I wonder how ATC will respond to that. The descriptions of the system, as I've read it, don't mention it automatically squawking 7700.

We were in a left turn, and I was over-applying inside rudder to simulate overshooting the turn to final and trying to correct with excess rudder. We kept enough opposite aileron to keep us in the turn and enough back pressure to prevent beginning a descent like in a slip. IIRC, it took some pretty obscure control inputs to get the thing to stall, but when it did, that stubby inside wing rolled under in a hurry.

Like Tony said - if you actually did that on base-to-final, there wouldn't be time to recover no matter how fast your reflexes are. I think after we recovered and Tony got the unexplained appearing Snickers bar out of his ear (and yes it was a Snickers bar - it was still in the wrapper), we both decided that we had enough for the day and headed back to the airport.

As a side note: Once we were inverted and wings were relatively level, it was a 'normal' stall recovery with an added "roll back to blue on top" at the end of it.

it didn't help that about the time the nose fell and the world started turning i added a bit of forward stick to make sure that chris broke the stall. well that bucked it immediately and next thing i knew the world was upside down and there was crap floating everywhere. it was classic example of an instructor trying to teach something they didn't really know anything about. we had done a lot of coordinated stalls in various configurations but we both got an eye opener on how abrupt the cross-controlled stall was. i suppose it was a good lesson for both of us in many ways.

Interested to hear how they deem the pilot 'unresponsive'. Do the controls shake a bit and ask you to press a button, or is there a voice in the headset saying "Daaaaaavvvvveee.. Ohhhh Daaaaaaaaaaave.. Hello?"

http://www.aero-news.net/news/genav...C7E2E29-6F37-437E-9F3D-C248DB225882&Dynamic=1

This 'electronic monitoring and exceedance-correcting technology' works to assist the pilot in maintaining his or her aircraft in a safe, flight-stable condition, helping to prevent the onset of stall/spins, overspeeds, steep spirals or other loss-of-control conditions, should the pilot become distracted, disoriented or incapacitated during flight. While a number of other capabilities were introduced, one particular associated offering really caught our attention... especially after having to report a number of tragedies in the last few years where aviators flying unpressurized in the flight levels succumbed to oxygen starvation and lost their lives.

They call it "Automatic Descent Mode" and that means is Hypoxia Protection for GA pilots that has heretofore never been available before. And its damned impressive. Cirrus' Hypoxia Recognition and Recovery system is designed to nudge the pilot, electronically, now and then to make sure that they're alert and capable of exercising their responsibilities as Pilot-In Command by:

Monitor and detect pilot activity , i.e. evidence of conscious pilot
  • Above 15,000’, if no pilot interaction (button press) within certain time interval, system creates an advisory, followed by a caution, followed by a warning to solicit a pilot response
  • If no response, AP will enter ADM, descend to 14,000 and remain level for 4 minutes with warning tone throughout
  • If no response, AP will further descend to 12,500’ and remain

Back