What type of performance do you guys see out of a 182P?

those mooney's sure are fast and fit my missions.

My short list for possible aircraft's are
M20
Comanche 250/260
Cherokee 235

I am in the same search as you. Here is my findings so far (I accept that I could be 100% wrong!)

182 More money, cheap insurance, everyone know how to work on them, lots of STC's, high wing shelter, 2 doors
M20 Fast, less fuel burn, retract insurance and training, for me, very cramped with my arm against the sidewall, less IA/AP familiar with them
Comanche 250/260 Fast, higher fuel burn, roomy, very high insurance, gotta find a AP that knows them or some maintenance will be missed. Just saw an article where there was a $25k annual due to missed items
Cherokee 235 Same speeds as 182. Higher fuel burn. roomy. not bad insurance. Its a Piper, so pretty well known.

Adding to the list:

Beech Sierra Fuel burn of a Bonanza, complexity of a Bonanza, with all the speed of a 182. Very roomy, huge cargo door.
Bonanza Get a nice one and you should be ok. Get a not nice one, and the maintenance might kill you (bladders, gear, etc). Decent insurance, fuel burn versus speed is nice.

Again, these are my findings, and are probably way off. Maybe people more knowledgeable will correct me.

I am in the same search as you. Here is my findings so far (I accept that I could be 100% wrong!)

182 More money, cheap insurance, everyone know how to work on them, lots of STC's, high wing shelter, 2 doors
M20 Fast, less fuel burn, retract insurance and training, for me, very cramped with my arm against the sidewall, less IA/AP familiar with them
Comanche 250/260 Fast, higher fuel burn, roomy, very high insurance, gotta find a AP that knows them or some maintenance will be missed. Just saw an article where there was a $25k annual due to missed items
Cherokee 235 Same speeds as 182. Higher fuel burn. roomy. not bad insurance. Its a Piper, so pretty well known.

Adding to the list:

Beech Sierra Fuel burn of a Bonanza, complexity of a Bonanza, with all the speed of a 182. Very roomy, huge cargo door.
Bonanza Get a nice one and you should be ok. Get a not nice one, and the maintenance might kill you (bladders, gear, etc). Decent insurance, fuel burn versus speed is nice.

Again, these are my findings, and are probably way off. Maybe people more knowledgeable will correct me.

that's some good info you posted.....I wonder how the insurance rates will change since I am going to wait to buy until I have my IR.

I fly a '76 182P with the long range tanks and a 252 HP conversion for work, and with it at full fuel and two people I average about a 125 KTS cruise and about 13 GPH.

I didn't know that, I thought they were 6 seats.

I'll research them, they seem to command a premium.

The baggage of the V-tail model 35 series was extended aft with the Model S35 (1964) and an optional fifth seat in the baggage area was offered. A year later a sixth seat also became available. But that third row seating is quite cramped, and weight and CG limits make it not very practical. The straight-tail F33A (1971 and newer) has the same arrangement. As a practical matter the 33 and 35 series are four-seat airplanes.

The longer Model 36 series Bonanzas (1968 to present) are marketed as six-seat airplanes, though there's still a tradeoff between fuel and payload.

I have a 182Q. Wheel fairings and flap gap seals. I average 135-140 knots. With 12 gph. I regularly fly from KBHM TO X51. Average 4.5 hours 55 to 60 gallons per trip.

The baggage of the V-tail model 35 series was extended aft with the Model S35 (1964) and an optional fifth seat in the baggage area was offered. A year later a sixth seat also became available. But that third row seating is quite cramped, and weight and CG limits make it not very practical. The straight-tail F33A (1971 and newer) has the same arrangement. As a practical matter the 33 and 35 series are four-seat airplanes.

The longer Model 36 series Bonanzas (1968 to present) are marketed as six-seat airplanes, though there's still a tradeoff between fuel and payload.

Ok cool, thanks for the info. Those are sure some fast birds. I may need to bring in the A33 into my search for a XC machine. I just don't know how familiar the shop at my field is with Beechcraft, I know they work on KingAirs all the time, but that's not a Bonanza.

I have a 182Q. Wheel fairings and flap gap seals. I average 135-140 knots. With 12 gph. I regularly fly from KBHM TO X51. Average 4.5 hours 55 to 60 gallons per trip.

that's about the same distance for me from Khum to KISM. So that flight must put you right on the edge of your fuel capacity?

that's about the same distance for me from Khum to KISM. So that flight must put you right on the edge of your fuel capacity?
Not really. I hold 92 gals 88 usable. So I have over 2 hrs reserve.

Back