What type of banjo do you play when....

Marc CYBW

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Marc CYBW
.... it's too yucky to fly?

Mine? a 1895 S.S. Stewart and a Wildwood Troubador.
Favourite song? Cripple Creek of course.

Ibanez 12-string guitar.

I used to play the banjo well enough for people who knew nothing about banjos to think I could play one, but it was stolen back in the 80's. Haven't touched one since.

Maybe it's time to take it up again.

-Rich

If we can list non-banjos, Larrivee OM-size acoustic (which is a much finer instrument than my playing justifies!).

The banjo, in my opinion, is a relatively easy instrument to play passably, but an extremely difficult instrument to play well.

One day when I was a young man, I decided to learn to play the banjo. So I went out and bought one, bought a book to go with it, and taught myself to play. I had been performing with a folk group part-time since I was in high school (summer camp circuit and the like), and I already played the guitar and harmonica well and the piano passably, so I figured the banjo would be pretty easy.

And you know what? It was. But only to the point that the sounds emanating from the instrument could be considered "music" rather than "random noise." Beyond that, the intricacies of banjo technique are both complex and subtle -- the kind of technique that requires technical perfection tempered by something akin to soul. It's the "soul" part that makes the banjo sing.

-Rich

GoldTone CC-100, but right now it's on loan to my neighbor who is building his own banjo (he has built several guitars already, beautiful work) so he can use it as a reference.
On bad weather days I now usually resort to the Yamaha C5 in my living room (although I also have a couple of accordions and a box of harmonicas).

Taylor 420R and a Takamine 412S. The only banjo I ever bought was a gift for my father.

John

I'm SO relieved this is about musical hobbies. I was afraid that the full title would be: What type of banjo do you play when.............you go on a canoe trip??? :yikes:

.... it's too yucky to fly?

Mine? a 1895 S.S. Stewart and a Wildwood Troubador.
Favourite song? Cripple Creek of course.
I have three banjos.

I have a Bart Reiter Tubaphone, a Bart Reiter Galax and a Gold Tone mini-Cripple Creek.

Some pics below. I no longer have the GoodTimes Special. That was my franken banjo. I had lots of fun modifying it, different bridges, heads, tuners, strings, tail pieces, etc. The pic of it with the purple head is what it looked like just before I sold it.

So are you a frailer or bluegrass guy?

Attachments

• 12052-1384574112012.jpg
    12052-1384574112012.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 12052-4404574112012.jpg
    12052-4404574112012.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 12052-104774112012.jpg
    12052-104774112012.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 12052-1576161472007.jpg
    12052-1576161472007.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 7
I'm SO relieved this is about musical hobbies. I was afraid that the full title would be: What type of banjo do you play when.............you go on a canoe trip??? :yikes:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking this.

That's what I was thinking, and that's why I take a bow with hunting arrows on any canoe trip I take. :)

OK Burt, it's time to do your thing.

y8ugu6u9.jpg

Back