What to watch for?

Skip Miller

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skip Miller
I have a friend... no, really! I don't own a plane so it can't be me!

who flew his Archer with the bird plugs in. Oof! The good news is that the bird plugs fell inwards as much as possible, so there was some cooling air flowing through the engine. They got caught in the alternator belt and it broke/fell off. Lack of alternator charge was the indication of trouble and the pilot returned to the airport and landed normally.

The A&P changed the oil, cut open the filter with no metal found, and did a compression test: 1@74/80 and 3@73/80. He has pronounced the engine good to go.

What would you do? What would you watch for before you load your family into this plane and head for the beach?

The really sad part is the engine is less than 100 hours TTSN.

-Skip

Lack of alternator charge is what tipped him off - What was the Oil Temp or CHT indication?

If I'm understanding the description, he took off with the cowling plugs in place? If so, the biggest issue with the engine would be lack of airflow to keep the oil/engine cool. Damage to accessories (like the alternator) would be next. If it was cool out and the oil temp never exceeded red line.....I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Most Archers do not have CHT gauges.

You know that those nose plugs are supposed to have a connection beteen them that you place over the prop blade so they get ripped out if you forget them like this.

I'd look at the plugs (and possibly borescope the cylinders to check for excessive heat).

Most Archers do not have CHT gauges.

You know that those nose plugs are supposed to have a connection beteen them that you place over the prop blade so they get ripped out if you forget them like this.

I'm suspicious that the bird plugs have been forgotten before; the connection between the two plugs was broken. So two plugs and no connection.

-Skip

I'd not worry, just keep track of the oil consumption, the first thing to be damaged will be the top rings and then the oil control rings, if the compression is already down to the low 70s I'd watch the oil consumption. less than 100TT, in the low 70s already,,,, wow.

I have seen this type of pilot before and it never ends good. If he did not remove the plugs what else might not be done. I would not want my name anyware in his log let alone evean look at his plane or work on it.

I'd not worry, just keep track of the oil consumption, the first thing to be damaged will be the top rings and then the oil control rings, if the compression is already down to the low 70s I'd watch the oil consumption. less than 100TT, in the low 70s already,,,, wow.

Agree,

What else ya gonna do, overhaul it again?!

I have seen this type of pilot before and it never ends good. If he did not remove the plugs what else might not be done. I would not want my name anyware in his log let alone evean look at his plane or work on it.

No, these are the guys I make my bucks from.

His actions do not reflect upon your certificate. You keep your sh-- in order, his will take care of its self.

I see your point, but everyone makes mistakes. This is one that he will not be making again. I wouldn't judge him by this one incident.

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20001207X02878&key=1

I can't find the one I was looking for, but I've seen another Cherokee fatal where the cowl plugs were left in and it started a fire shortly after takeoff. Plugs really need to have either flags on them so you can see them from the cockpit, or a rope/strap that goes around the prop so they get pulled on engine start. A flag that gets thrown up by the prop helps too.

Back