What to see in Austin and Houston?

1200AGL

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Paul
I've never set foot in Texas before. When I heard that a friend will be in Austin soon, I booked a flight out there on the airlines (don't have a return ticket, yet). We're going to rent a car and drive to Houston--and/or possibly Dallas--over a long weekend. That's about all we've figured out, as not overplanning is a key to a good road trip.

What would we be remiss not to do there and along the way?

Yeah, I know it will be hot. Given the D.C. weather over the past two weeks, I consider myself acclimated :)

Paul:

Lots to do - what do you like? What are your interests?

Austin - weird. :rolleyes:

Lost of stuff to see. More so in the cities (Austin, Houston) than the countryside.

Austin has THE university, bats, music scene, museums, Capitol, the Driscoll hotel, the river, and 6th Street nightlife. Just to the south is tubing on the Guadalupe.

Houston and Dallas have all kinds of stuff ranging from the NASA facility in Houston to Southfork Ranch near Dallas.

It all boils down to what you like to do....

Me. I'll be in Dallas, Austin and San Antonio this week. Stop by if it's convenient. The tail-dragger is always available for aerial tours and other foolishness.

Austin: Barton Springs pool. Springfed (cold--but good on a hot summer day) with lots of scenery. If you like live music let me know which night and I'll ask my brother which venue to check out (he's always up on the music scene and lives in Austin) . Houston: The view in the mirror as you leave. Not a fan, unless you go to the beach and that's not really all that nice either. Maybe moody gardens in Galveston?

Road trip from Austin to Dallas, recommend going hwy 71 west to hwy 281 then go north and into Fort Worth, much more scenic than the interstate 35 drive. Adds about an hour but worth it if you want to see some of the country side.

Austin and surrounding areas... Enchanted rock, Pedernales Falls, New Braunsfels and Canyon lake and the Guadelupe river. Texas state capitol.... 6th street entertainment area.. congress street bridge and sunset (bat colony takes flight)..

Houston and surrounding areas... Houston has many museums I know of,.,. museum of fine arts, of natural science, a childrens museum. NASA has Space Center Houston as a visitors attraction. Kemah boardwalk has a dozen restaurants all grouped together and the surrounding area has many other nice bars and restaurants... Galveston has moody gardens, plenty of beaches but its a muddy silty sand... not pristine... but its what we got.. Plenty of good food places too.. some of them on airports..

Brenham (on the road between houston and austin) has the Blue Bell Creamery.. St Arnolds has a brewery tour, and Im not sure if Anhauser Busch's brewery does still too or not...

As someone who travels to central Texas on occasion, my favorites are the Bat Bridge in Austin, and Johnson Space Center (not Space Center Houston unless that's your only way in). If you happen to have a government PIV badge (common for northern VA folks...), bring it.

The Saturn V will take your breath away, even though it has been very poorly maintained. So will the training facility.

Austin is our favorite getaway from the island. (It's actually how we discovered the island. We flew to Austin for the South by Southwest music festival back in '09, and flew to the beach at the urging of our kids. The rest is history.)

Austin is all about the music for us, primarily the blues. Screaming blues guitar emanates from almost every bar on 6th Street. You will hear the next Stevie Ray Vaughan, every night of the year -- for FREE -- on that street. It's incredible.

It's more than that, of course. There are lots of shops to keep the womenfolk happy. The Driscoll Hotel is amazing -- a great place to have an after dinner drink, or spend a night, if you have money to burn.

We've only scratched the surface of Houston, but have had several great times there. Visit the San Jacinto battleground, the Kemah boardwalk, the USS Texas (before she sinks completely), and the Johnson Space Center.

As someone who travels to central Texas on occasion, my favorites are the Bat Bridge in Austin, and Johnson Space Center (not Space Center Houston unless that's your only way in). If you happen to have a government PIV badge (common for northern VA folks...), bring it.

The Saturn V will take your breath away, even though it has been very poorly maintained. So will the training facility.

Actually, the Saturn V has been moved indoors and refurbished. Our last visit in May, it looked good as new!

It really depends on what you like. Austin has tons of music, hippies and weirdos. If you like BBQ, make a day of going to a bunch of the good places around central Texas (Lockhart, Elgin, Taylor, Austin, Llano).

Everyone else pretty much listed what's around Austin, but I've been meaning to try the Austin Steam Train to Burnet and back just for the fun of it. I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard lots of good things about it. It leaves from Cedar Park which is just North of Austin.

Wow, thanks everyone for all the good ideas--I have a lot of homework to do before leaving next Friday. POA folk have never let me down with travel advice :)

This trip will be barbecue-powered; we intend to hit as many BBQ joints as possible. I might get one night in Austin. I love music, and I can handle weird in measured doses.

Wayne, thanks so much for the offer. While I'd love to get up in the air on this trip, my traveling companion is not a flyer. So far, I haven't been able to convince her to go up with me.

Austin is all about the music for us, primarily the blues. Screaming blues guitar emanates from almost every bar on 6th Street. You will hear the next Stevie Ray Vaughan, every night of the year -- for FREE -- on that street. It's incredible.

+1 to all Jay said. If you are at all a music fan and drive out of Austin without an evening walking 6th Street, and poking your ears into all the bars to see who's playing, you've missed the best part.

Warning: Most of the venues are small and loud. It's definitely a "If it's too loud, you're too old," kinda music scene. :)

Houston is far less interesting, to me anyway. Hop on past Houston and go see Jay. ;) This time of year, Houston's just hot and miserable.

What is a government PIV badge? :dunno:

HSPD-12 compliant ID card. Some folks call 'em CACs (Common Access Card).
Ah! I have one of those. In fact, I just traded a military card for a contractor card. We've always called 'em CACs. Of course, being around the military any way of saying something that invokes a little gutter humor is always the preferred method. :lol:

15 miles out of Austin, in Driftwood (south west of town) is the best bbq you will have, The SaltLick. And its BYOB (they have a little store just off the property that sells beer and wine if you don't bring your own). Oh, and its cash only (they have ATM if you don't bring any with ya). Huge place, if you get seated in the "new" building be sure to walk to the old one and check out the original pit in there.

15 miles out of Austin, in Driftwood (south west of town) is the best bbq you will have, The SaltLick.

When in Austin look for Amy. Try some of her ice cream. I like the Mexican vanilla.

Brenham (on the road between houston and austin) has the Blue Bell Creamery.. St Arnolds has a brewery tour

Thanks! I've added these and all the other suggestions in this thread on a map. I foresee gaining a few pounds on this trip.

Definitely going to spend a night in Austin wandering around and will be sure to get a drink at the Driskill.

Did you make it down here yet? would be interested to hear your trip report.

Austin... Eat at Hudson's on the Bend near Bee Cave, the hill country of Austin. One of my favorites - Lance Armstrong eats there sometimes when he's in town. For good cheap Texican food, I like Maudes (71 & Bee Cave - across from Hill Country Galleria). For night life, just park at 6th Street and start walking...

Me. I'll be in Dallas, Austin and San Antonio this week. Stop by if it's convenient. The tail-dragger is always available for aerial tours and other foolishness.

Wayne, hit me up next time your in Austin. Been too damn long. :D

Back