What to report after surgery

• Thread starter Third Class Pilot
  • Start date
T

Third Class Pilot

Hello All,

I am currently 1 year into a 2 year Third Class Medical. Recently I was diagnosed with a Pheochromocytoma tumor on my Adrenal Gland.

Last month, the tumor was successfully removed and pathology indicated it was benign.

So what do I do now concerning my Third Class Medical?

I haven't flown during the surgery and recovery and don't plan to do so for another month or two.

Prior to flying again what do I need to do as far as reporting and such?

Thanks.

If your surgeon has cleared you for life (driving, sports, etc.) without restrictions, report this to your AME at your next medical. And have the full lab report in hand. In the meantime, go fly.

NB: I am not a MD nor an AME. -Skip

As said, a full history of the situation including all labs, primary doc notes, surgical notes, post op notes, discharge notes....

Anything and everything that explains the situation, what was done about it, that the surgeon is happy with the results, and that you're safe to return to the herd.

You're AME should be willing to provide a consultative service to review your case and your submission packet for completeness. The point here is to give you time to go back and get something if it's needed.

I had my gall bladder taken out last year. Prior to the surgery I contacted my AME and asked what paperwork I should be sure to get to bring him when I renewed my medical (just a few weeks ago). He said labs belore and after, and the surgical report. I got the surgical report when I went for post-op follow-up two weeks after the surgery.

I kept myself grounded for about three weeks until I was cleared for normal activities, like lifting (and pulling/pushing plane in/out of hangar). Did not report anything at the time.

Considering that a pheo is a hormonally active tumor, I'd run this question by an AME. Or maybe Dr. Bruce will see your thread and drop in to offer his words of wisdom.

Thanks to all that have responded.

I will contact my surgeon and get all of my documentation now and let my AME know ahead of time what is coming.

I will also check back here to see if Dr. Bruce responds with further info.

Thanks again to the responses.

If your surgeon has cleared you for life (driving, sports, etc.) without restrictions, report this to your AME at your next medical. And have the full lab report in hand. In the meantime, go fly.

NB: I am not a MD nor an AME. -Skip

your case will be deferred to OKC ... and you will have little problem getting you med cert ... is indeed all is over and tumor is gone.

Need:
Path report
Op note
Discharge summary
Any VMAs and metanephrines

Post op urine metanephrines, VMAs if preop were up.
Letter from your surgeon releasing you.
Letter from your family doc noting that you no longer have hypertension, and BP is under good control.

Hopefully, by the time I need to get renewed next we will have better definition of Third Class medical procedures. I further hope this doesn't get kicked up to OKC.

Also, Dr. Chien, thanks for the list. Didn't do urine testing before or after surgery, just blood test and MRI. I go for a CT scan in 6 months to ensure it does not return. After my 6 month checkup I should have all documentation to present to the AME when I renew.

Thanks again to all for your guidance.

Later.

P.S. Feeling better every day and am able to exercise without symptoms. BP is looking good also.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back